1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

2500 > 8500, in my most humble of opinions.

2. evolved

evolved Well-Known Member

I agree. Nothing beats the original PO, in my opinion.

3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Member

Thanks guys on your suggestions of watches to look at for my son. I saw some nice Longines and Hamilton watches. I also loved the Stowa Marine and the Nomos Glashutte. Where does one buy a Stowa watch - from the official website? I recently looked at watches at a local Torneau and they showed me some Raymond Weil watches that were not too expensive. Is Raymond Weil a good brand for a 22 year old? My son is on vacation now but when he comes home I will have him look at the watches/watch brands that you recommended to me. Thanks again.

4. sdolina

sdolina Well-Known Member

It could be the "made in Swiss" issue, R.Weil is new but still Swiss brand, Nomos and Stowa - German.
    For those who knows - watches from Glashutte are not worse and even better than certain swisses, but you should consider this.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  5. Kappelan

Kappelan Well-Known Member

I think it's really fine.

6. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Does anybody know which style this lovely PP is?
    I have checked their website but could not find it.
    [​IMG]

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

8. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  9. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

;)

10. TheWraith

I have nothing against Hyundai's (or American cars for that matter). Was just a joke.

11. blumnblam

blumnblam Member

Hey y'all
    I have a small wrist (just over 6" circumference) and was looking for simple, masculine watches between $100-$400 that're 40-41mm.

The Nixons, Hamiltons, and Lacos I like would all be too big for my wrist. Suggestions?

12. TheWraith

Very nice indeed :)

13. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

Charlie Sheen rockin' a Patek in the NY Times today A & L section. You gotta love him!

14. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

Orient?

15. dufferin1

dufferin1 Well-Known Member

Tsovet ?

16. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

Let us know what you think about the repair when you get it back and if your friends repair guy is taking new customers? I need to have my vintage 1959 Omega Seamaster sent in for a tuneup.

17. gorrerjm

gorrerjm New Member

Need some help. Looking at the sub 6k range and really came up with the following three options that I liked (ranked in my current order)

1. Breitling Navitimer (Preferrably an all white face)
    2. Omega Speedmaster
    3. Going used and trying to pick up an older two tone blue face submariner.

Any preferrences or anything else I should look at in this range? I should also mention I have an Omega Seamaster (black face) and a Brown Tag Carrera.

Thanks for the input.

18. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a dressier watch. Check out Timezone and see what turns you on. The ones you mentioned are pretty similar to what you have, unless you're looking for a chronograph. I would def recommend looking at used market, much more bang for the buck.

19. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

I have had a 36mm Seamaster Pro for about 12 years. Was looking at either a new 42mm PO (grey bezel) with the 8500, or for $3250, a like new 42mm PO (black bezel), ref. 2201.50.00.

Aside from the change in bezel color and upwards price, would anyone mind detailing/Cliffs notes how the 2500>8500?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  20. evolved

evolved Well-Known Member

The 8500 PO is a slightly larger movement so that, coupled with the skeleton case back, makes for a "bulkier" feeling watch. Most of the talking points as to why the 2500 is better than the 8500 come down to personal preference. I like how the 2500 PO looks over the 8500. The 8500 looks too busy, too thick and doesn't have the classic good looks of the first iteration. The reference of 2201.50.00 is a 2500 movement. If you know the serial # I can tell you whether it's a 2500C or a 2500D as there were minor changes in the movement mid-way through it's life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.