• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior varsity

Reaction score

i have a couple $1000 watches that I received as gifts from my parents, but this will be my first $5K+ watch purchase. i already have a safe, but $100/year for peace of mind that "accidental loss" and "damage" is fully covered doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. i am really wondering if there are other options besides homeowners insurance.

but if say you take a trip to west philly and get mugged... and make a claim - doesnt your home owners policy increase, like significantly?

Last edited:

Rachelblack

Reaction score
I want to get my father a watch for his 50th birthday this year. I came across the Pilot by Speidel and I think its an elegant timepiece. He is a pretty casual guy, so I wanted to get him something he can wear anywhere. Thoughts?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good question. i didn't ask that. ideally, i won't be mugged and seeing that my homeowners for the year is sub $1K, i can't see the premium for that jumping a lot.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but if say you take a trip to west philly and get mugged... and make a claim - doesnt your home owners policy increase, like significantly?

Dude - the guy lives in Detroit - he doesn't need to go to Philly to get mugged! :lol:

Before everyone starts to hate - it's just a joke - I know there are still some very nice areas around Detroit - some of them are VERY nice.

As to insurance - the last time I spoke with my agent he offered me two options - one was simply insurance on a piece by piece basis for jewelry, and the other was a rider on my homeowners. The rider was much less expensive so I went with that for the few pieces that I actually decided to insure.

I presume you are aware that you must schedule each item individually. And that you also should keep receipts, serial numbers and photos of each item in a safe deposit box. I believe many policies actually have specific requirements for how often you must update the list. You certainly want to notify them if you sell something - as it will reduce your costs.

When it comes to easily portable items like jewelry/watches the insurance companies can get pretty cranky if you ever need to make a claim - as you can imagine. So it's much quicker to simply have all of your 'ducks in a row' in advance.

I think you also should evaluate the actual risk associated with the item. As sometimes it is just smarter to not worry about insuring against the potential loss than it is to pay insurance for 20 years on something that you could just replace if you had to. The concept is called 'self insurance'.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dude - the guy lives in Detroit - he doesn't need to go to Philly to get mugged! :lol:

Before everyone starts to hate - it's just a joke - I know there are still some very nice areas around Detroit - some of them are VERY nice.

As to insurance - the last time I spoke with my agent he offered me two options - one was simply insurance on a piece by piece basis for jewelry, and the other was a rider on my homeowners. The rider was much less expensive so I went with that for the few pieces that I actually decided to insure.

I presume you are aware that you must schedule each item individually. And that you also should keep receipts, serial numbers and photos of each item in a safe deposit box. I believe many policies actually have specific requirements for how often you must update the list. You certainly want to notify them if you sell something - as it will reduce your costs.

When it comes to easily portable items like jewelry/watches the insurance companies can get pretty cranky if you ever need to make a claim - as you can imagine. So it's much quicker to simply have all of your 'ducks in a row' in advance.

I think you also should evaluate the actual risk associated with the item. As sometimes it is just smarter to not worry about insuring against the potential loss than it is to pay insurance for 20 years on something that you could just replace if you had to. The concept is called 'self insurance'.

Great post.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post. i'm actually not IN detroit. northern suburbs. i guess for peace of mind at first, i'll pay the $100/year. at the point in time where i am not worrying about it, i can always turn it off.

Last edited:

antikantian

Reaction score

i have a couple $1000 watches that I received as gifts from my parents, but this will be my first $5K+ watch purchase. i already have a safe, but $100/year for peace of mind that "accidental loss" and "damage" is fully covered doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. i am really wondering if there are other options besides homeowners insurance.

I actually just spoke with my insurance agent (State Farm) yesterday, and he said that my homeowners insurance covered jewelry up to a maximum of $1,500 or $5,000 (he was throwing a bunch of numbers at me, and MEGO set in). He offered me a separate personal item policy, priced at $1 per $100 of value.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Can any of you guys knowledgeable in repairs speak to this: I took my Oris and Seiko into one of the high end shops today to appraise service. They refused to service it stating that Seiko and Oris do not release parts to them and that all repairs for those brands have to be in house (sent back to them). This sounded like bullshit to me, since they use completely generic movements. Thoughts?

Struck out again with this at another high end jewelry shop. A poster in this thread thought I should take it to one of those mall kiosk Fast Fix joints. I didn't know those places did service on automatics. Thoughts?

giony

Reaction score

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not to completely contradict your post, but that is actually retention.

Self-insurance would involve the poster putting his would be premium in a secured investment to pay for either partial or total loss, thus becoming the self-insurer of the product.

bdeuce22 - look into Lloyd's of London as they often insure obscure pieces. Also, you should be able to have a separate policy that should cover you if need be, or depending on how much you have covered, move into umbrella insurance.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The guy doesn't need Lloyd's of London for a $5,000 watch, wtf.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Struck out again with this at another high end jewelry shop. A poster in this thread thought I should take it to one of those mall kiosk Fast Fix joints. I didn't know those places did service on automatics. Thoughts?

I found a guy in CA who is a Seiko collector and he's worked on a few of my vintage watches - not just Seiko. Very reasonable and pretty fast. I'll send you his name if I can dig up his card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics