1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kali77

kali77 Well-Known Member

I like the new Laco x Rios strap combo, not as 'stealthy' as the classic black on black aviator look, but a good look nonetheless. Do post pics when you get the Night Train. BTW, does that mean you're not getting the 80th anni. MO?
    Thanks. I am going to pick up a similar strap in black as well[​IMG] I think the Stowa is out right now, and the Night Train not at the top of the list. Here is the current list I have come up with in this order most likely Ball Fireman Ionosphere Chronograph- black dial Ball Engineer Master II Moonphase- white dial Sinn U1 Ocean 7 LM-2 Ball Night Train Stowa Airman No Label Sinn 903 ST Silver Dial I think it will be a year endeavor with a hold on any major clothing purchases.

2. speedster.8

speedster.8 Well-Known Member

Have you seen the Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT , found a press on TZ but no info on the brand site. Realy like the watch. So if somebody has anny intel ...

3. kali77

kali77 Well-Known Member

Have you seen the Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT , found a press on TZ but no info on the brand site. Realy like the watch. So if somebody has anny intel ...
    I have not see this model in person yet. No sure what info you are looking for, but there is info on the net( mostly on the LE model) http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=2704596&rid=0 http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...+LE&dept=WATCH http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu7b_R1...IIDiverTMT.doc 3rd link is a Word file There is a lot more if you do a search, or you could try calling Topper's fine jewelry or another AD dealer.

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

1964 pie pan Omega Constellation.
    [​IMG]

Dumb question - why do they call this a pie pan dial?

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Dumb question - why do they call this a pie pan dial?
    Because the 3-D shape of the dial looks like an upside-down pie pan, unlike typically flat 2-D dials

[​IMG]

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

7. sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

What's the general consensus on Glashutte Original watches? How do they compare to to other brands like IWC, and A. Lange & Sohne? I really like the look of the Senator Karree Automatic:
    [​IMG]

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

I love love love love Glashutte Orginal (not a fan of the Karee line though).

AL&S: GO is a bit more "obtainable" by having steel cases. I would liken then in design and movement finishing.

IWC: Aside from some Port. models most of the GO watches are a bit more "refined" and finished in dial and movement than a "hardier" (Aquatimer, Pilot, Ingeniur, Spitfire) brand like IWC. But, in some cases more "obtainable" than GO whose lowest MSRP that I can think of is $5,800.

9. sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

Thanks SoCal2NYC. Which GO model would you suggest for a versatile everyday watch? I'm not a fan of obscenely oversized watches that are so popular today. I have a small wrist and prefer something less than 40mm in diameter that is refined and understated.

10. SoCal2NYC

Well I own the PanoReserve and it is by far my favorite. After that I really like the Senator 60s for a dressy watch and the SportEVo for a sports watch.
    But, maybe the Senator Chrono in a grey dial with a brown croc strap would work for both work and play? Priced at $6,800 MSRP you could grey market it or TimeZone.com Sales Corner for probably $3,000-$4,000.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

My suggestion: PanoMaticLunar in steel. Very versatile and a pretty complication

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

That's gorgeous.

The moon phase is one of my favorites complications. It really gives you the sense that the time shown on your watch is related to the cycles of nature and the observable movement of the heavens, and not just some abstract measurement.

13. SoCal2NYC

The PanoMaticLunar seems to be the most common of the Glashutte watches; but, I still think the power reserve on the hand wind with a decorated 3/4 plated AND the double swan necks is prettier to look at.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

The PanoMaticLunar seems to be the most common of the Glashutte watches; but, I still think the power reserve on the hand wind with a decorated 3/4 plated AND the double swan necks is prettier to look at.

I guess it's a matter of preferences. I like the moonphase complication more than the PR indicator - there's something a bit... romantic about it. I agree I would prefer a handwing Pano but there's no manual Lunar (yet). When it comes to the dials, the PML speaks to me more than the PR.

I don't think you can say it's a more common watch than the PR - I think it's probably the favorite of the WIS community, and I can see why.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

i prefer the blue on the white.

16. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

A couple recent additions and a couple old favorites.

GMT with ceramic bezel. I kind of got this spur of the moment.
    My wife and I were in Las Vegas and we were about 20 minutes early
    for dinner reservations. So we ducked into the watch shop at the Bellagio.
    15 minutes later I had this.
    [​IMG]

PAM 25 Titanium Submersible.
    [​IMG]

IWC Big Pilot. Has the fishy crown.
    [​IMG]

Lange Auf/Ab. I'm wearing this today. Have to go to the bat mitvah
    of the daughter of my wife's best friend. I'm not looking forward to it.
    [​IMG]

17. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Impressive zippyh ! We have a pretty similar taste in watches

18. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The 1815 Up and Down is a gorgeous watch. Excellent balance in the dial design. And look, no cut-off numerals!!

19. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Nice collection zippy. [​IMG]

20. SoCal2NYC

Very nice.
    Are all the dials on the Panerai Subs textured like that? I really like yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.