• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

economiayocio

Reaction score
Another "Dornie". This is a special one, the hands and numbers are in polished Stainless Steel.

5072503366_34eb3b40e9.jpg

nozorro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ Truth be said, I had my doubts up until the moment I received it.

great watch. and great dedication in finding it!

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
A they are making watches so big these days that the lugs stick out on a wrist of almost all men, they obviously had to make up a new measurement to make the lugs sticking out OK. I personally think the salesman's "opinion" is just sales talk.

everyone will have to decide for themselves what size of watch they think look good, but I can't imagine it being very comfortable to wear a 44-50mm watch if you have 6" wrists (well I do and it isn't to me).

We weren't talking lugs per se, more just overall size of the watch. Panerais (not the Radiomir pictured) are weird as they appear more wide than long (so they're huge on the wrist but don't stick off so much).

FWIW, my watches top out at 40mm, which is the largest I'd go.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
FWIW, my watches top out at 40mm, which is the largest I'd go.

Same for me - actually, lug-to-lug length is more of a factor and at around 52mm it's at the wrist limit for me.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scuderia-F1
You´re not alone on that one...
worship.gif

+1

-LR

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
gmto.jpg

/M

Love vintage Rolexes way more than the current models especially the GMT.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Love vintage Rolexes way more than the current models especially the GMT.

+1, with the exception of the no-date Sub (a classic), the on-its-way-out 36mm Explorer and the Explorer II. Otherwise, there's not a single part of the Rolex lineup that wasn't better pre-2005.

rdaws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atct86
What is the exact model and strap of this IWC?

I'd like to know as well - that strap is amazing, it looks a lot brighter and richer than anything in the catalog. Want.

Regal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the watch world, but I have a quick question- why does TAG Heuer seem to under-represented, here? Heuers from the pre-TAG days seem to be quite respected, but I can't help but notice the lack of the more modern watches in these pages.

I ask partly because I'm strongly considering a Carrera chrono (CV2011) as my first "big boy" watch. I'd previously been heart set on a Speedmaster, but only the Reduced falls into my price range and I'd rather hold off on that particular watch until I can comfortably spend the money for the Professional.

The TAG seems to be a nice looking alternative, but I don't want to spend any money on something I may come to dislike as my knowledge of watches grows.

Thanks!

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal
Hey guys, I'm new to the watch world, but I have a quick question- why does TAG Heuer seem to under-represented, here? Heuers from the pre-TAG days seem to be quite respected, but I can't help but notice the lack of the more modern watches in these pages.

I ask partly because I'm strongly considering a Carrera chrono (CV2011) as my first "big boy" watch. I'd previously been heart set on a Speedmaster, but only the Reduced falls into my price range and I'd rather hold off on that particular watch until I can comfortably spend the money for the Professional.

The TAG seems to be a nice looking alternative, but I don't want to spend any money on something I may come to dislike as my knowledge of watches grows.

Thanks!

Look at a Speedmaster Date. While I'm a big fan of the manual wind professional, the date has a date, is an automatic, and a damn fine looking one at that. Shouldn't run you more than $2,300 BNIB from an AD.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal

Thanks!

I have used my CV2017 as my day to day watch for the last three years. There is not much love for TAG on this forum but I don't really care. I wanted a watch with a classic car racing feel to it and am very happy with my choice. If you like the look and feel of the CV2011 go ahead and buy it. The watch will get lots of compliments in real life but might produce some smart ass remarks on this forum.

If you are insecure about if your feelings for it will change in a couple of years maybe you should wait and go with something else. The Speedmaster Date that Captain Winky suggested would be a nice choice.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by economiayocio
Another "Dornie". This is a special one, the hands and numbers are in polished Stainless Steel.
5072503366_34eb3b40e9.jpg

Maybe its the flash but that looks way too "blingy" for simple stainless steel. Gorgeous watch though.

Regal

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. As long as there is nothing inherently bad about TAG Heuer, I think I will proceed as planned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads