• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I have almost 7.5" wrists. Here's what an older Air King (34mm) looked like on me...

350x242px-LL-59b7be6d_rolex.jpeg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah the 43mm includes the "ears" but that also constitutes to the size of the watch on the wrist. It's 38mm vertically but with the squared off lugs which could easily make it past 40mm. I think the 5800 is a definite possibility though.

Also, are you guys finding the 5711 sitting in stores? They seem to be selling better than Daytonas despite it's price. Supply is just much, much lower from what I understand.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be gauche to suggest the trusty AP 15202 instead if there are worries about a 5711 having excessive presence?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 43mm includes the "ears" but that also constitutes to the size of the watch on the wrist. It's 38mm vertically but with the squared off lugs which could easily make it past 40mm. I think the 5800 is a definite possibility though.

Also, are you guys finding the 5711 sitting in stores? They seem to be selling better than Daytonas despite it's price. Supply is just much, much lower from what I understand.

The 5711 blue dial is very, very difficult to find, at least around ADs in NYC. Even pre-owned mint 5711s are trading at close to MSRP of $26,700. Thierry Stern has definitively stated that they intend to limit production of the 5711 blue dial.

I'm not sure if it's easier to find via other ADs in other geographies, but even grey market resellers here in NYC find it difficult to source, and presumably their networks are nationwide.

A NOS / mint pre-owned 5800 is even more challenging to find. Took me a couple of months to find one for a friend (actually, his wife wears it). All the way in Asia, routed through a European AD. But the 5800 is indeed a very nice piece and literally looks like a smaller 5711 (albeit sporting the cal 315 versus the cal 324, if you're interested in all that).

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 5711 and the 5800 on the wrist of my friend's wife:

a8eta4aq.jpg

FWIW my wife's wrist is all of 6" or even slightly smaller and she has no problems wearing my 5711. Or any of my watches, for some reason...

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I have never seen a 5711 just sitting in a dealer's case.

Perhaps if I ever did, I would be forced to pull out a credit card (or two?) and buy it on the spot :D

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still dabbling in the shallower end of the blue-dial pond. Just recently ordered a nachtblau Weltzeit and a brown shell strap from Nomos. Think it's going to be a pretty decent combo.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, when I initially responded I missed the part about your wrist being 6". I don't find the ears affect how it wears, however I can easily see that the position from where the case side/lugss drop off and become the bracelet could fit you more like something beyond 40 mm.

As for availability if 5711s, it just depends on where you are located. I took a trip to Vegas and between the 3 AD's shops (one may have been a branch of one of the others), every Nautilus model was available for sale including the blue dial 5711 and 5712/a. It surprised me to see all of them there, as they are usually tougher to locate at dealers in big cities, like NYC, Chicago, Vegas. However, I've also seen a blue 5711 and a 5712/a sitting in an AD's window in Boston withing the past year or so. That's without actually searching for them.

Supply, of the Nautilus is far lower than the Daytona. Rolex producest far more SS Daytonas as there are more people that can afford to spend $12K on a watch than can afford to spend $26K. Also the current 116250 with in house movement 4130 has been in production for 14 years now, so there are also far more available on the second hand market.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 5711 blue dial is very, very difficult to find, at least around ADs in NYC. Even pre-owned mint 5711s are trading at close to MSRP of $26,700. Thierry Stern has definitively stated that they intend to limit production of the 5711 blue dial.

I'm not sure if it's easier to find via other ADs in other geographies, but even grey market resellers here in NYC find it difficult to source, and presumably their networks are nationwide.
NYC is has some great eye candy, but its generally a tougher place to source watches, particularly at a decent price. NYC seems to have a very high concentration of watch collectors and international travelers who collect watches...so hard to get watches in NYC either sell fast or for top dollar. I've found its not so bad in other places.

At various points when friends mentioned they weren't seeing blue dial 5711s or 5712/As in NYC or other big cities, I had seen them available new at ADs while traveling in other cities in the US.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Omega Male: please post pics whenever it arrives!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yah it's about location, location, location. I've asked in other forums about Daytona stock and most on smaller cities responded that they were sitting in the shelves while those who live in bigger cities like Miami, NY and LA (like myself), it was damn near impossible and I inquired in about 5-7 ADs (half of that I trust) in my area and most has a waitlist. Gearys actually has a 5-6 month waitlist.

Most couldn't believe me and they said it was just hype created by ADs to drive demand and told me to bring a big sack of cash and one will magically appear from the safe. :lol: While I don't doubt that being a practice of some dealers, I find it hard to believe (especially in the the 4 ADs I frequent) that even if I told them that I would pay retail for a Daytona that they would still hold on to it and not sell it to me.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Took me a couple of months to find one for a friend ( actually, his wife wears it).  
This practice of women wearing men's watches has been proliferating at an alarming rate in recent years.Lately, my women (wife and daughter) have been circling my watch box like buzzards whereas five years ago there was zero interest. They've been snatching my clothes (shirts, sweaters, scarves,robes, even ties) for years and now they're setting their sights on my watches. I threw them a couple of bones (my old Rolexes) but it seems to have done nothing but whet their appetite. I'm looking at safes.........

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My brother in law constantly conplains about my sister stealing his Panerais. Which is comical because her wrists must be 4"

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I'm still dabbling in the shallower end of the blue-dial pond. Just recently ordered a nachtblau Weltzeit and a brown shell strap from Nomos. Think it's going to be a pretty decent combo.
Curious of your thoughts when it arrives. That home icon still bothers me, but perhaps it's better in the flesh. Pics and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah it's about location, location, location. I've asked in other forums about Daytona stock and most on smaller cities responded that they were sitting in the shelves while those who live in bigger cities like Miami, NY and LA (like myself), it was damn near impossible and I inquired in about 5-7 ADs (half of that I trust) in my area and most has a waitlist. Gearys actually has a 5-6 month waitlist.

Most couldn't believe me and they said it was just hype created by ADs to drive demand and told me to bring a big sack of cash and one will magically appear from the safe.
lol8[1].gif
While I don't doubt that being a practice of some dealers, I find it hard to believe (especially in the the 4 ADs I frequent) that even if I told them that I would pay retail for a Daytona that they would still hold on to it and not sell it to me.
Just this past Sunday my wife wanted to go to a local mall to pick up a gift for a baby shower for a friend. So I popped into the mall's Rolex AD where I had never purchased anything. They had in a new SD 4000. It was my first time seeing one in person so I tried it on, and it was nice, but I'm not sure its for me.. When I said I'd think about it, the salesman said, "If you are interested I have a brand new SS white dial Daytona sitting in the back." I already have and prefer the black dial Daytona to the white so it was a non issue for me.

Except for maybe cities like NYC, Miami and LA, the days of Daytonas being really tough to find and long waiting lists ended with around 2009. It was sort of a combination of the economic melt down and MSRPs of Daytona exceeding $9.5K,so it wasn't really feasible for flippers to sell the Daytonas for big profits. Prior to that almost all ADs even those in small cities had waiting lists, and some wouldn't sell you a SS Daytona unless you were a repeat customer or your bought something else pricey from them at the same time. Or some were selling them for a premium over list price. Those days are gone...other than in a few locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads