1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Been almost a year for me.

2. eton97

eton97 Well-Known Member

.....only 4 more years my friend.
    White face you can get.
    Blue face is the killer.

Funny story but I'd bought a second hand one which id been wearing for a couple of years and then one day I was sat at my desk and got a call from the AD:
    "Your watch is in"
    "But I haven't ordered a watch? What watch?"
    "You're 5711 has come in..."
    "Pardon????"
    "You're 5711 has come in..."
    "Errrr....ok.....but I haven't ordered one...."
    "You put your name down in 2010 and it's just arrived..." (April 2015).
    If totally forgotten I'd put my name down 5yrs ago [​IMG]
    Sold the old second hand one (which sold in 1hr) and took the new one.

But it took 5yrs

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  3. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

I put 1K deposit early last year and had 5 people in front of me. My AD usually gets 2-3 pieces a year so there's some hope!

Congrats on yours, I don't think it can get any better.

4. eton97

eton97 Well-Known Member

Agreed totally. Patek blue 5711 and Rolex vintage 1680 single red [​IMG].
    For me that's perfection.

Now just need a g-shock for holiday's [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Hey guys,

So, this thread (like many others) is getting excessively heavy for the forum, so I am going to lock it soon, and create a new thread, seeding it with the last 50 posts or so from this thread.

My question is - there seems to be a big enough group of posters here for me to create a new subforum for watches, and I'd be open to creating such a subforum under the mens style forums, if there is enough support here. There would be some benefits - there could be different threads for different brands, WAYWT - watches, etc...

I'd like to hear from the community on this thread before making a decision though I want to do this some time next week, so it would be great if you guys could chime in. Also, is there a particular poster who might be the best OP in the new thread?

Cheers,

Fok.

2 people like this.
  6. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I enjoy it as one thread. I like the catch all environment, though I suppose the WAYWT would cover that. I also enjoy the diverse opinions it creates on a watch, something that would be less likely to occur if you separated threads by brand. But it's only a slight preference.

4 people like this.
  7. LA Guy

I need to append this: We can start completely fresh, with a respected member here starting the new thread, maybe with a short intro and FAQ on the OP, and with the last post on the old thread linking to the new thread. Is the a member who is suited to this task, and would also like to do it? I'm pretty open.

Cheers,

Fok.

8. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

This is a better idea and I nominate Dino or Mimmo, or both, as each has an important but very different perspective.

2 people like this.
  9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

:(

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

UG today.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. LA Guy

You baby is all grown up and is like, Shaq sized now. It's time to put him into the NBA.

12. LA Guy

I agree, My second ideas nearly always better than my first. At some point, and I think that it's at two, we reach a point of diminishing returns.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

There are wait lists in some areas major cities NYC, SF, LA etc, but if you travel and check out local ADs in the areas you visit, its possible to shorten the wait. Last time I heard about waiting lists for the 5712/a and blue dial 5711, I happened to visit Vegas and between the 3 ADs there, every model of Nautilus was in stock and available for purchase through one of them. But if you don't travel much you can always wait and see how long it takes for your local AD to get one to you.

I like the new subforum idea, but my one suggestion would be NOT to make several brand specific forums. The title of this current thread references Breitling, but there are hardly and Breitling posts here. While Rolex could handle it and possibly JLC, AP or Patek, I don't think there would be enough posts to truly support many brands specific watch threads. Also, I suppose we would then need a generic thread for the non brand specific threads? Wishing you luck with whatever you decide. Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  14. LA Guy

How about one catch all thread, and one Rolex thread? Ultimately, it is up to you guys. The only thing I know is that this thread will need to have a part II pretty soon.

Cheers,

Fok.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

There's essentially two catch all threads now this and poor mans watch thread in SW&D, the later isn't as popular though.

Fok see this thread like the RFT thread sometimes it goes completely off subject for a page or two and then goes back to normal.

1 person likes this.
  16. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

I think the one super-thread thing is unique among watch discussions.

Although there may be advantages to a separate area for the subject, there's also the possibility that it will become like every other watch forum.

Either way, it's been a hugely informative and engaging discussion over the years. Thanks to all who contributed.

5 people like this.
  17. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I think a new sub-forum sounds like a good idea. I'm not sufficiently well-versed in how forums work as social platforms to understand how that would change the nature of the conversations that go on in this thread. I'm fine with the simpler option to just start a new thread, too. But a sub-forum is an attractive idea.

18. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I agree, I can't think of another place that is as much as a catch all for watches as this thread.

19. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Well-Known Member

Some recent pictures from my Instagram:
    Longines Hour Angle with L989.2
    [​IMG]

Breitling Callisto Chrono with Caliber B11 (Lemania 1873)
    [​IMG]

Omega Constellation 1975 plus accessories
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

today

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.