1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw photos. I like Cartier watches, especially those with interesting shapes. These look inspired by some vintage Piagets and VCs I've seen from the 1970s with a very similar case shape. Thankfully, without the 1970's "Bark" finish.

The movement in the top date small seconds model is their in house cal 1904, which is also found in the Calibre, Tank MC, and Tank Anglaise XL. I wish the Drive did not have a date window, as I am not in love with the way the date is a bit toward the center of the dial and cuts some of the Roman III away. If they had to give it a date I wish the date were more toward the outside of the dial and they completely eliminated the Roman III.

Overall, its a nice piece and the date/small seconds model in steel has a very reasonable projected MSRP of about $6,200. Not sure about the price of the more complicated model. Cheers!

2 people like this.
  2. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

$8750 for the more complicated version. From pics I can't decide if I like that one more or less than the time/date version.

3. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

I want another watch... this is dangerous.

3 people like this.
  4. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Less, for me. Much clunkier than other watches with similar complications. But the basic Drive I like more than the Tank MC, and for probably similar money discounted.

5. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Any idea on the thickness of either version?

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I generally have very similar tastes in watches as Ben Clymer (smaller watches with classic designs), but I'm not as high on the first watch as he is. It's a bit too stylized for me. (That said, if someone gave it to me as a gift, I would wear it with frequency and with pride.) I'm also not a huge fan of the date window, but I think that Cartier envisions this watch as a daily wearer for a man with one watch or a handful of watches, and daily wearers have dates. If the watch had to have a date window, it's in the right place: it cuts the minutes track at the same place as the seconds subdial, and allows the watch to retain a full set of Roman numerals.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  7. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

I read 11.5mm for the base model.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Seems the big date has spread from Lange via VC Overseas, to finally infect Cartier. Dino, you should write a letter! I also thought "Piaget" when I first saw it.

[​IMG]

Richemont DNA...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  9. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

But VC has now (sadly) ditched the big date on the otherwise pretty exemplary new Overseas chrono -- for the scourge of the 4-5, off colour.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Any info on the 'dual-time'?

11. CaptainApathy

CaptainApathy Active Member

That's correct. When Lange was relaunched in the mid 90's they heavily emphasized their focus on customer care. As part of this when watches were sent in for service by their owners Lange would temporarily provide a replacement so that the owners wouldn't be too troubled for the time when their watch was in for service. Very similar to what Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, and nearly every other luxury car manufacturer does. The temporary replacements were to be returned to Lange when their own watches were doing being serviced. Because they were intended as temporary loaners, they were cased in steel, not precious metals as are all Langes. The steel watches were never sold to the public, but some slipped out...

12. tigerpac

Along the same lines, Cartier has quartz loaner watches still available.

13. tigerpac

Haven't seen anything on it. They could probably squeeze the added complication in the same case but we'll see.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Got to see a Lange 1 moon phase in person :inlove:

1 person likes this.
  15. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

I don't dislike Cartier, but I'm not a huge fan either. That said the Drive looks nice. Stainless Steel or/and (see what I did there) Rose Gold. Can't understand the thought process on the date though... And I actually like asymmetry to an extent.
    Tell me about it. Been hunting the past month and I may nail one down on Monday. Sad thing is I also want a Lange or three.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I don't mind the 1630 date - on my Longines. But I am one of those who liked the current/previous Overseas just fine, so I'm hoping it gets cheap enough for me to own one one of these days. Some people will always want the latest model whatever - always good news for the stubborn fecker. :)

18. SteveH35

SteveH35 Well-Known Member

Traveling this weekend/week. This threesome pretty much has all the bases covered

[​IMG]

19. slickslickslick

slickslickslick Active Member

A very small number of Lange 1 references in stainless steel were actually sold to the public, though the company does not openly acknowledge anything more than their existence.

20. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

What watch is on the left?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.