• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really really contemplating a Tank Solo XL. In steel though

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Just so you are aware, the rose gold Tank Solo, does use steel for part of the case.  I do not believe its gold plated, but possibly the case back is steel on the Tank Solo.  You would need to check on this yourself as I've never looked at that model.  However, in the on line description when you click on the word "details" it says case in 18Kt pink gold and steel.

This is correct....gold case (not plated) with a steel back.

I tried one recently as part of my .....*ahem* .... "ongoing research" ....

Pretty decent watch, if you're okay with the movement, and obviously that bit of steel keeps the price down.

And I also tried the Louis Cartier Tank XL, shown below. (Please forgive the plastic, but I didn't want to make the AD remove it, as I was mainly trying to compare size and wrist presence).

It's quite nice. The dial is more of a cream color vs. the silver dial of the Tank Solo.

The Romans are also spaced differently on the Tank XL, with a little more dial showing around the edges:

It's a pretty large lug width for its shape....not sure the size exactly, but I'd say this one wears large overall.

As Dino likes to point out, with the rectangular shapes, it's an absolute MUST to try before you buy.

They really are trickier in terms of how they sit and feel on the wrist (see recent discussion here on TWAT re: JLC Reversos).

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really really contemplating a Tank Solo XL. In steel though
For a steel watch dress watch, its really a tough watch to beat especially at that price. Wishing you luck with your decision.

And I also tried the Louis Cartier Tank XL, shown below.

It's quite nice. The dial is more of a cream color vs. the silver dial of the Tank Solo.

It's a pretty large lug width for it's shape....not sure the size exactly, but I'd say this one wears large overall.

As Dino likes to point out, with the rectangular shapes, it's an absolute MUST to try before you buy.

They really are trickier in terms of how they sit and feel on the wrist (see recent discussion here on TWAT re: JLC Reversos).
The dial is silver, but its does have a cream tone to it. Unlike the previous CPCP Tank XL, this has a smooth dial, without a guilloche.
The dimensions of the current Tank XL Ultra thin are 40.4mm x 34.92 x 5.1. Rectangular & square watches always wear larger than round ones
so the numbers can be deceiving and its important to try them on to see how they feel.

Wishing you luck with your "Research."

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't help it, made a quick run at the AD to check out the Cartiers. No purchases yet though.

I must say, the Tank Solo Large fit me the best. The rose gold in that size would have been perfect if it had the automatic movement, just kind of hard to pull that trigger on a $5k quartz, rose gold or not.

Next that really stood out to me is the Solo XL auto in steel, Dino pretty much read my mind that for a retail for $3700 (and what I feel I can talk it down to) it is almost a no brainer. As much as I want the rose gold tank, I am not sure it is worth the extra $5k for the Solo XL auto especially with the case back being steel. Was surprised that the SA actually told me right off the bat that the back is indeed steel, she gets major props from for that. Fits nicely too, not too big and not as nice as the Large version but very doable.

Sad to say but the Louis XL landed in last place for me, beautiful rose gold, clean dial and I love how thin it is but it was much more square in person hence it looks bigger on my puny wrist (damn you scrawny wrist!). Almost like a slim Monaco on my wrist but actually looks slightly bigger.

If I were to decide today, the clear winner might just be the steel Solo XL. That could easily change tomorrow but I might just pull the trigger on that steel eventually and go rose gold on something else.

Welp that was my watch adventure for the day, to be continued tomorrow...

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't help it, made a quick run at the AD to check out the Cartiers. No purchases yet though.

I must say, the Tank Solo Large fit me the best. The rose gold in that size would have been perfect if it had the automatic movement, just kind of hard to pull that trigger on a $5k quartz, rose gold or not.

Next that really stood out to me is the Solo XL auto in steel, Dino pretty much read my mind that for a retail for $3700 (and what I feel I can talk it down to) it is almost a no brainer. As much as I want the rose gold tank, I am not sure it is worth the extra $5k for the Solo XL auto especially with the case back being steel. Was surprised that the SA actually told me right off the bat that the back is indeed steel, she gets major props from for that. Fits nicely too, not too big and not as nice as the Large version but very doable.

Sad to say but the Louis XL landed in last place for me, beautiful rose gold, clean dial and I love how thin it is but it was much more square in person hence it looks bigger on my puny wrist (damn you scrawny wrist!). Almost like a slim Monaco on my wrist but actually looks slightly bigger.

If I were to decide today, the clear winner might just be the steel Solo XL. That could easily change tomorrow but I might just pull the trigger on that steel eventually and go rose gold on something else.

Well that was my watch adventure for the day, to be continued tomorrow...
Love that you had to run down and check them out!
cheers.gif

I the new ultra thin Tank XLs are thinner than mine, but slightly larger in length and width. So if you have a small wrist it may look or feel a bit large. My old XL is a perfect fit, for me. I'm not sure if I would want to go with a larger size. The model with the date and power reserve is the size of my old Tank XL...but I know the rg model with complications is now well over $20K, and personally I think its a watch that looks better as a time only piece. The Solo is a nice piece for the money. Anyway, thanks for the update and hope you have fun conducting your research!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, it is always fun to have a bunch of watches lined up to try on. I tried on the BLNR too and it is definitely calling me. The blue OP is another that it right there yelling right behind the BLNR.

And for reference my wrist is just about 6" in circumference so it is damn tiny, I am glad that it is at least more flat than round so I could usually accommodate up to 40mm round watches. When trying on the tanks, I couldn't tighten any of the straps up because they were simply too long. :lol:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And for reference my wrist is just about 6" in circumference so it is damn tiny, I am glad that it is at least more flat than round so I could usually accommodate up to 40mm round watches. When trying on the tanks, I couldn't tighten any of the straps up because they were simply too long. :lol:

I think it was suggested up-thread as well, but have you considered the Reverso Classique?

As someone also highly drawn to the design of the Tribute to 1931 models but finding them too large - especially for this type of watch - I think the Classique would be the best bet. Clean dial, nice proportions and a solid case back. At 38.5mm for a rectangular watch, I can't imagine wanting it to be larger.

zoom_reverso-classique-1309-2.jpg

Actually, looking at it now again, it seems like the perfect dress watch addition to my couple of round, black faced sports watches. Goddamnit.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yah classique is one of the options once the 1931 is out of the picture.

One aspect of the TTR1931 is their indices though, it's just clean and simple. The same with the Cartier, I like the roman numerals better than the numbers on the classique, just looks cleaner to me. I have to see the classique in person again though, last time I tried one on was maybe 2-3 years ago?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it is always fun to have a bunch of watches lined up to try on. I tried on the BLNR too and it is definitely calling me. The blue OP is another that it right there yelling right behind the BLNR.

And for reference my wrist is just about 6" in circumference so it is damn tiny, I am glad that it is at least more flat than round so I could usually accommodate up to 40mm round watches. When trying on the tanks, I couldn't tighten any of the straps up because they were simply too long.
lol8[1].gif
Of the round watches you are considering, I like the BLNR. The blue OP is fine, but doesn't do anything for me.

Rectangular & Square watches fit and look very differently than round watches. I find with round watches, although we may look to see that the lugs don't go beyond a certain point on our wrist,many people tend to focus more on the round section of the watch, and the lugs which are sometimes angled downward and curved, become sort of secondary. So the round watch may look, and wear smaller. While on most rectangular and square watches the lugs have a more integrated appearance and almost become one with the case, and therefore our eyes focus on the case and lugs as a single item. So I think that causes rectangular watches to look and wear larger than a similarly sized round watch.

Yes, sadly most watches in shops are on a standard size strap, that doesn't comfortably fit most people with a wrist below maybe 6.25 inches. You probably need them to trade out the standard size strap for a short strap. It should not be a big deal. Wishing you luck with your adventures in watch shopping!
cheers.gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ The landscape doesn't look bad, either. ;)

NonServiam

Reaction score
Love the Reverso and Tank, but the only square watch to pass by my collection was the TAG Heuer Monaco. I liked that one a lot, even if a TAG and not the 100% real deal (Heuer Monaco). I could use a square dress watch, I really could :D The 1931 Rerverso would probably be a strong contender.

Anyway, today was AP Saturday :slayer:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Love the Reverso and Tank, but the only square watch to pass by my collection was the TAG Heuer Monaco. I liked that one a lot, even if a TAG and not the 100% real deal (Heuer Monaco). I could use a square dress watch, I really could :D The 1931 Rerverso would probably be a strong contender.

Anyway, today was AP Saturday :slayer:

I would not be worried about square when you have that absolutely stunning octagon on your wrist! :slayer:

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Definitely worth two squares. Pimptastic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads