1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

Wearing a Tag Carrera Re-edition from 1994.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

I do love the little houndstooth pillows instead of the traditional rigid, black sueded ones! Clever idea!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

While he might like the bracelet...I read this, "I'm interested in hearing others thoughts/opinions on the Overseas in general & the Ultramarine in particular" as asking for opinions on the watch as a whole, and for me that would include the bracelet, as it is a major component of most watches. He may still love the bracelet regardless of anyone's opinions about the bracelet, but in full disclosure about thoughts on the Overseas, IMHO the bracelet is fair game.

I do think the Overseas, much like the Nautilus and RO, looks best on a bracelet...I just don't care for the bracelet they offer. Personally, I am hoping for a major overhaul of the entire Overseas line next year. I guess we will just have to see if it happens.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gent1989

Gent1989 Member

A magnificent timepiece! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

5. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Great choice. Perhaps my favourite Rolex model that I don't own, after a Pepsi GMT-II.

1 person likes this.
  6. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

I got this as a gift, but they usually can be had for around 2k. At least that's what i've seen on Ebay.

7. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Overseas is stealth-like in comparison to the Royal Oak, which is by far the most identifiable of the Big Three sport watches. That sucker can be spotted from across the street on a moonlit night. The Nautilus can be spied from across a dimly lit restaurant dining room. Whereas the Overseas would need a formal introduction to those seated across the table.

And of course Rolex is identifiable from space.

3 people like this.
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed. If only TAG Heuer had kept on making designs like this, instead of most of the overly large, blingy models that they make nowadays.

There's a very good reason why classic Heuers from the 1960s and 1970s (Carrera, Autavia, Monaco, Silverstone etc) keep on increasing in value whereas most people who like watches regard modern TAG Heuers as decidedly pedestrian.

You can get them quite cheaply, as firenze_rob noted, although the re-issue isn't that commonly seen.

It's powered by the classic Lemania 1873 chrono movement, which is nicely finished and very reliable (and the same movement as used by Omega in the 861/1861-powered editions of the Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch").

1 person likes this.
  9. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Oh man that's too bad. Did you get another one? I had been looking for one for so long and this seemed to fit the bill. Just have to be careful with my Pam to make sure that the glass doesn't hit the crystal. And you're right...mine needs to be filled!

10. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Got to handle the Globemasters over the week. Nice little watch. Good size and sat on the wrist well. Pie pan dial worked well with the bezel. Not sure I'd ever get one but a worthy addition to anybody's lineup.

11. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, interesting that you & others mention the IWC as I already have one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted because the VCs dial is a much more vibrant blue than the IWCs! That combined with my having previously been interested in the VC has me thinking. The thing that has held me back is what I've read about servicing VCs.

Thanks for your post...

You as well!

Thanks for your perspective, always interesting to read. I actually like much of the dial's design aspects you dislike!

I haven't been able to find a 15300 in the wild yet & the 15400 just looks 'off' on my wrist. As someone else mentioned the Nautilus is in a totally different league cost-wise.

I don't think many of my friends would be able to identify it as a VC either!

No worries, I was interested in all opinions of the watch/bracelet!

It will be interesting to see if their is a redesign...

1 person likes this.
  12. Don Murray

Don Murray Member

I like the green one. What is it?

13. Gent1989

Gent1989 Member

Oh right. Might have to have a browse! Cheers!

14. Gent1989

Gent1989 Member

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. Any advice on where to look?

15. deacon-hh

deacon-hh Well-Known Member

Hi,

its a HMT Jawan. Its a watch company from India. New Models a very cheap 5-20$. Classic look. Handwinding.

Today's HMT Pilot

[​IMG]

Regards

2 people like this.
  16. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

17. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

^

Those JLCs are a prime example of how a few sloppy details can really drag down the look of a watch.

As long as anyone can fire up a computer and take a stab at making a watch, there will continue to be half-baked designs out there like the Geophysic's. The movement seems lovely, but it sure doesn't look too special from the front. The date window is particularly cheap-looking. Rather than the '50s originals, it's almost like they're drawing inspriation those disposable DW watches I see all over the place.

The world timer, besides being an unimaginative Patek copy, seems particularly badly-drawn — in large part due to the use of inherently-cheap Arial, which has no place on a watch at any price. It's a strong indicator that these guys don't entirely know what they're doing. Why so many companies use professionals for the movements but cheap out so obviously on the more-visible areas is a mystery to me.

:confused:

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding dim, what's "Arial" and why shouldn't it be used?

19. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

Bureaucrat font.

1 person likes this.
  20. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I agree about the text on the standard watch, why it could not have been positioned on the back of the watch I do not know. The world timer does not interest me as I find all such watches cheap looking whether they are by a great name or small. On the other hand I do not know what you find so bad about the date window?

BTW is there a different version of the world timer for the Southern Hemisphere?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.