1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

I think it would be absolutely epic to attend. The price is a ton for something like that, but they're just covering costs so I can't actually be mad at them for it.

2. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Too geeky for me. And it might put my dilettante status at risk.:embar:

1 person likes this.
  3. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

1. Perceived scarcity of availability
    2. Honestly, they don't want to make it for just the wealthiest, but at the $3,500 price point, it is severely limiting the small collector who only has one or two watches. The same collector who may only be able to afford one watch that is in the $10k price range.
    3. The price includes drinks Friday and food and drinks Saturday. I am not sure the bang for the buck is there. I have a hard time with the covering costs only argument.

I understand the target audience for the 'dink is the white collar professional, that is in >$250K income.
    They said that in an article a while back.

2 people like this.
  4. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I can truly have an opinion since I'm not really a "collector". I don't buy watches because they may be a "riser", or disregard watches that may be "decliners". I don't buy vintage pieces that are viewed as "important" or "valuable" (I don't have the means, but more importantly, I don't have the interest). I buy watches I like and enjoy,a nd perhaps some of my likes overlap with those of collectors, but I don't think I really fit in with that crowd. It's just not my thing. That said, I'd like to sit in for the finishing discussion. All the other ones are largely meaningless to me, even if interesting.

2 people like this.
  5. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

HQ Milton has this 1680 which seems to be in better condition. They also have quite a few 5513s which are in great condition if you can go without the date. http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1978-rolex-submariner-1680-with-rsc-papers

As for the Hodinkee Summit, I would assume some special guests would show up at some point.

1 person likes this.
  6. SteveH35

SteveH35 Well-Known Member

Newest video review: FP Journe Centigraphe in killer PT/RG combo

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I don't have a Valjoux 7730, nor do I know anyone with one. You will probably have to search dedicated watch forums for info on vintage movements.

As for distinctions when movements go into various companies watches, it truly depends on the company. Lower end companies may just put their name on the movement and not do much else. Mid level and higher end companies will finish the movement to their own specific standards. In addition, many higher end companies when they get a movement/ebauche its shows up as parts, and it is not a fully assembled movement. They may make revisions such as changing the number of vibrations per hour, or improvements to the movement's design or change certain parts, substituting some of their own parts for the ones that originally came with the ebauche. Good luck with whatever you decide.

+1 [​IMG] Spot on!!!
    I have never understood paying huge sums of money for watches that have lead less than privileged lives. I can certainly understand paying a premium for a watch that is basically LNIB or NOS, but then the purchaser is getting the experience of essentially owning a brand new vintage watch. Those pieces are tough to find and rare. Watches with stretched out bracelets, dings and scrapes in the bezel and case, repolished cases, faded dials and bezels from spending lots of time in the sun ...are not rare or unusual.

I'm one of those other crazy people that wants a watch to be like new without all boxes, papers, and hang tags, so these "distressed/tired" pieces worn by someone else are not for me. I want a watch I own to tell my stories of adventure (or even my routine days at the office), not someone else's life story. However, as long as auction houses and buyers continue to show an affinity for tired examples and Subs, GMTs, SDs, etc...we will continue to see them sell for a premium.

Sounds interesting on some level. However, I don't need people to tell me what I should collect. I don't believe in that. I believe in buying what I love. If it goes up in value its a bonus, if it depreciates, I have nothing to be disappointed about, as I bought the watch for me and because I loved it.

The idea of explaining why I deserve an invitation ...reminds me of the old Groucho Marx statement paraphrased as "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me." While the idea of getting the most passionate rather than wealthiest collectors is a noble idea...I'm not sure how realistic that is. Out of curiosity I checked out the link to request an invitation. Questions asked are what level of collector do you consider yourself, (new, intermediate, advanced)? Collection size? Where you buy watches AD, Ebay, Auction houses? Type of watches collected, new, vintage, both? Seems as though even if they don't intend to gather the wealthiest collectors...that is largely what those questions could cause. I could be very wrong, but are they truly planning to invite people who own 2 or 3 modern watches, or people who have a huge collection of swatches?

I would like to think that I would have something in common with watch collectors that would attend. However, at several watch events I've attended in the past (although none hosted by Hodinkee), Mrs. Dino and I thought many of attendees fell into 2 categories = 1) weird or 2) snobby. So to pay $3,500 to be in their company...nah...I'd rather put those funds maybe toward a pre-owned Pepsi GMT. [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

I made a purchase. It should be here Friday. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

I made a purchase too. They had the Exp. II tax free at LHR and I couldn't resist. Photo from SFO, about to fly to LAX then home.

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  10. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Congrats,
    We look forward to pics.

11. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I "applied" for an invitation, as much out of curiosity as anything else. I doubt that I'll get selected, but if I do I can then decide if I want to go. It seemed to me that it's at least an excuse for a weekend trip to NYC (and it's been quite a few years) and I might learn something. I don't need anyone to tell me what to buy, either, but knowledge is a useful thing to have and if I learn something then all well and good.

So we shall see what transpires.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  12. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

^ You are kidding, right?

13. Dino944

Glad it worked out for you. Looks great! Congrats!!! [​IMG]

14. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Well-Known Member

Hey gang,

I just had a few hours to kill in New York and walked around looking at watches. For reference, I own one watch, a Rolex GMT BLNR. I looked at a few sizes of Panerai radiomirs. I really liked the 512 in rose gold (boutique only had it in gold). It's got a nice profile and cool look. The bigger options just aren't for me.

JLC is right next door. I looked at the 1931 Reverso and it fit my wrist well. The Master Ultrathin Moon in gold was very handsome. That was definitely my favorite. I think I'd love a Reverso some day, but at my age, not feeling a need right now.

Went to AP. I can't keep the references straight, but I looked at the 41mm Royal Oak in stainless (second hand only) and I THINK the 39 mm version without a second hand in rose gold. The gold is pretty wild in person. Lots of weight to it obviously. I really liked the way light catches the beveling on the bracelet in both versions.

Finally saw a Patek perpetual calendar in person. Pretty spectacular.

I've been keeping my eyes open for something a little more casual. I think the 512 fits the bill and will probably be my next purchase. I am also looking at possibly getting a 337 second hand. I want to wear it on a burgundy strap, and I think the dial on the 337 is the more brown color vs the black 512. Anyone have ideas on that?

15. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Dillardiv, If you mean strap ideas (for any Panerai, really) then there's certainly no shortage.

The "accessories corner" at paneristi.com = ultimate rabbit hole for starters.

Wouldn't say I'm a fan of burgundy straps in particular, but something like a #8 Shell Cordovan would probably look pretty good on either of those watches. (And unless I'm mistaken, the 337 is just a matte black dial).

On the topic of the Hodinkee collector's thing, I'm also more in the camp of, "Hell, for $3500, I'd rather buy a Nomos" .... but my initial comment was really more of a reflection that at least the "lucky" NYCers have the opportunity for attending that type of event. (Not that Houston is some backwater town, and I honestly had not yet absorbed all of the details of what was supposed to go down there with Hodinkee).

Having said that, I've often lamented the lack of face-to-face / personal contact that I've been able to experience with this beloved pastime, and that's despite my natural inclination to be more of an introvert.

My daughter once made a comment along the lines of, "Wow Dad, you *really* seemed to enjoy talking with that watch salesman. I thought you were going to be in there all day" :happy:

So, from that perspective, I think it would really be fun. Maybe not $3500 fun.... but, fun.

16. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

No. Why?

17. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Because the chance that someone willing to pay $3,500 for this event being told "there is no room" or "you are not a real collector" is less than zero. If you have a pulse and check and are willing to give them the marketing information that they requested, you will be "admitted."

4 people like this.
  18. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

Strap-chopping.

I'm digging this combo. The yellow in the leather really brings out the lume.

[​IMG]

19. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that — it's nice to see that you snagged one! Great choice and fantastic watch; I'd love to hear your thoughts about it when you get a chance.

20. Dino944

Not a fan of burgundy straps on watches. Especially if the version you are considering is rose gold. Cartier used to pair some of their watches with burgundy straps, and it never looked right. It didn't really compliment the rose gold. I'd much rather have a dark brown strap, maybe something with white stitching if you want a sportier look. A few guys here have but watches with black dials on dark brown straps with white stitching and it looked fantastic.

In the end as Keith said, there are tons of options for Panerais. Strap purchasing is practically an addiction for some Panerai owners. Good luck!

Sorry not a fan of that strap at all. I know straps like that can be pricey, but it looks like it was made from an old leather belt that accidentally went in the washing machine. Also not a fan of that style with white stop points on the strap. Personally, I prefer a sports Rolex on a bracelet, but if putting it on a strap, I'd rather see it on a traditional NATO or a black strap, or maybe a very very dark brown strap with white stitching. I find the idea of trying to have the strap match the lum plots a bit too "Matchy matchy" or trying too hard. Good luck with whatever you decide.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.