1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

The diamonds take away from the otherwise clean dial imo. But if you had to have diamonds on the dial, that's a solid way to do it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I wasn't even planning on buying anything earlier this week; I was just checking the Norway price for Winot since he'd been interested. The local shop happened to have it in the window, and when I had a look, I thought: "Holy cråp, this thing is fantastic!" So I feel it's partly his watch. :|

I love the older matte/tritium look, and I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the white gold surrounds on most modern Rolex dials — though I certainly don't hate them or anything. However, rather than looking plastic-y, I find that the no-BS-styles black surrounds around the large markers are a bit like the modern equivalent of the vintage dials, and definitely one of my favourite features about the Explorer II. They're also extremely legible. I normally don't care much about "lume", but I gotta say that the blue glow is pretty striking against the white background, too.

Anyway, good to hear from a few other folks who are enjoying theirs. I'm finding that the Sea-Dweller is looking a bit sterile by comparison, so even though I have no complaints about it, its days may be numbered.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

I think the white dial is probably more legible than the black, which can get a little confusing at a glance - it isn't so crisp. And Dino mentioned the 'floating hands', but in real life that feature doesn't really do much for me one way or the other. I think actually it reduces the legibility a little.

But I still love the black dial overall as a complete look.

4. mildundklar

mildundklar Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Not my cup either. I think this is perfect, a bit spicy but not to much.

My friend noticed my new watch and inspected it for five minutes or so. Later on i asked him about the what I think is the discrete diamonds.

- What diamonds? He replied.[​IMG] His not into watches.

Oh snap. My girlfriends mac sucks. A wall of text is gone...

A short summary:

I totally love it and I would never have imagined owning this watch for a dailywatch a year ago. I bought it from a friend/forum member after a GTG and he was never supposed to sell it, so I ordered a new 116200 with the tuxedo dial. But a week after that everything changed, he was weak.[​IMG] The AD was holding my money, so he used them and bought a new Milgauss. A fair deal for everyone.

What makes it so even more special is that this dial usually only comes with the fluted bezel and is not for sale as a loose dial.

Good night :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  5. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's probably the least blingy implementation of stones you'll see. That said, I'd go with the white Roman dial; my favorite of all their offerings. Though I recently saw the silver Roman dial on your watch and it looked pretty damn sweet.

1 person likes this.
  6. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Well-Known Member

This is how we do Peacocking ;)

Friends, have an absolutely superlative Sunday and an awesome start to the new week ahead!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

I'm looking at buying a nearly brand new yet used watch. As I'm a regular lurker in this thread I was wondering if I could get some additional help to some questions I have. You'll forgive me if they're stupid, but I don't have the experience of everyone here.

1) The watch comes with "the full set, box, papers, etc.." What exactly does "full set" mean?

2) Assuming the seller has a warranty card, will that "transfer" to me as the new owner? Would the card likely have his name on it? He seems like a pretty experienced seller.

3) Any questions I should ask? I was thinking of asking where they purchased it. Why they're selling it. Should I ask if the serial numbers are intact? Seller seems to be experienced on watch forums as I said. Only "issue" in the listing is "slight traces of wear" on the clasp.

Any and all help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  8. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

1. comes with everything that came in the original package
    2. yes if the card is stamped by an authorized dealer. may have someone else's name on it

Which forum is it on? If the seller has a good reputation on watch forums you can be pretty certain everything that's he/she is legit.

1 person likes this.
  9. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

I'll have to ask about the warranty card then. Another question about it though, would the warranty card likely be registered with the manufacturer?

They are on Watchuseek. They have 2 referrals, but there is no link to click. They've listed their fair share on the forum, some of which say a forum member bought from them others don't specify. An older listing on another watch has a warranty card pictured.

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: He's offering Paypal in the listing and FedEx shipping. Listing says he'll cover Paypal costs, so I'm assuming so long as I don't send it as "gift" I'll be fine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  10. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

The warranty card would get registered with the manufacturer upon the initial purchase, if from an authorized retailer.
    Paypal should be safe as you're protected in case anything isn't as described

1 person likes this.
  11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

1) Depends on the manufacturer, but will include things like the warranty card, inner and outer boxes (if applicable) and any booklets/manuals and hang tags.
    2) If the watch is still under warranty then you should not have any issued using the warranty if need be. If he personally bought it then it should have his name on it. If he bought it from a forum "Grey" market dealer then it likely will not unless he made arrangements with the dealer when he bought it. Don't be surprised if the warranty card is blank with no name...Omega ADs for instance hardly ever name and date them.
    3) Why he is selling it really isn't important. Just make sure you ask how the watch is running/keeping time. Depending on the maker the serial numbers may or may not be easily accessible. Rolex for instance is underneath the bracelet endlinks and some people may not be comfortable taking that off for fear of scratches. Omega for instance is stamped right on the underside of the lug and is easily read.
    Wearing a watch for a day at the office will result in scratches on the clasp. Nothing to worry about there.

Maybe some more detailed info on the watch may let us help a little more.

#1 rule is BUY THE SELLER, FIRST

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

+7

13. tigerpac

I agree with above. Also, if you have any questions about condition, ask for more pictures. It is very important to be on the same page before pulling the trigger. If the watch was worn it will have marks, just be aware of what they are before buying.

1 person likes this.
  14. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

I have but one purchase from a WUS private seller, and it went as smoothly as I could hope for (about 5 years ago, a like new Omega 2254.50).

It was also PayPal / FedEx, for whatever that's worth.

#caveatemptor

#ireallydon'tknowlatin

Wearing this one today (old pic):

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Well-Known Member

Mark XVI is one of my favorites!

16. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Wearing is today on this hazy tuesday.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

I had fun at the Horology 101 class given by the Horological Society of NY last night. There were only 6 students in the class and we each took apart and reassembled an ETA 6497. It sells out almost instantly, but I'd definitely recommend it for anyone in the area with even a passing interest in how mechanical watches actually work.
    http://www.hs-ny.org/education

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Keith T

^^^Another reason to be jealous of the watch scene that's happening there in the Big Apple. Would love to do this^^^

Also saw on Hodinkee where they are holding a "collector's summit" in December.

1 person likes this.
  19. Keith T

Plus, that movement shot gives me even more appreciation for what Panerai did in refining / dressing up the Rad 210 "engine" ...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. tigerpac

^I did 101 over the summer and echo your comments.

I've got 102 coming up in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to it.

Nice pic btw!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.