1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Why? It is extremely not popular! I picked it up from a private collector in HK at merely $5500 USD, unbelievable.

I know! But, I love that watch.

Jon.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Why? It is extremely not popular! I picked it up from a private collector in HK at merely $5500 USD, unbelievable.

Pretty good buy - one fetched $8,300 at auction last year.

3. HitMan009

HitMan009 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

Can anyone of the fine gentlemen on this board tell me which manufacturers makes the movements for which brand?

For example, I read somewhere that JLC makes the movements for a Patek??

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, Can anyone of the fine gentlemen on this board tell me which manufacturers makes the movements for which brand? For example, I read somewhere that JLC makes the movements for a Patek??
    No, Patek makes most of its own movements, with some exceptions, including (ironically/bizarrely) its very hot perpetual calendar chronograph (Lemania).

5. Otto

Otto Active Member

Could somebody point me towards some entry-level watches that would look good on somebody with skinny wrists? Mine seem to measure at a little over two inches at the point I would wear a watch.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Could somebody point me towards some entry-level watches that would look good on somebody with skinny wrists? Mine seem to measure at a little over two inches at the point I would wear a watch.
    You should focus on watches with a 34-38mm case.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

No, Patek makes most of its own movements, with some exceptions, including (ironically/bizarrely) its very hot perpetual calendar chronograph (Lemania).

Yes, but it was a highly refinished ebauchè (not that the Lemania is a bad movement, far from it!), and meets the highest of Patek's standards (Poinçon de Genève), and uses an in-house manufactured perpetual calendar module.

Until of course Patek made their own in-house automatic chronograph...the cal. CH 28. As found in the new Annual Calendar Chronograph, ref. 5960P, which uses a CH 28-520 IRM QA 24H movement.

[​IMG]

Jon.

8. MunnyGuy

MunnyGuy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my daily wear Omega Speedmaster Professional. I love this watch. It is not too ostentatious and takes abeating. I also like that the back of the watch shows the movement, this model does not cap the back. Apologies for the quality of the pics.

9. CodeRed

CodeRed Well-Known Member

Here is my FPJ Octa. Red gold with white gold dial..I am told that it is a rare combo.

It has the brass movement...cheaper but classic.

10. CodeRed

Let me try that again...kids distracted me.
    [​IMG]

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I don't know about classic - it's a very modern watch. But it looks beautiful.

12. CodeRed

It seems like "classic" is a relative term, at best. Glad that U liked liked the watch though. The newer gold movements make it seem out of date already....I guess.
    Mine seems a little boring in comparison to the more complicated models. I like it anyway [​IMG]

13. NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP

NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP Well-Known Member

This is 1 great thread love the watches [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

I'll take two of the FP Journe, thank you.

Beautiful piece.

15. micbain

micbain Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about this watch? (I've attached a picture, lets see if it works). Longines Master Collection Chronograph. I've been eyeing it for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger.

Pro's
    - Swiss Automatic
    - Reputable brand with established history
    - Dial looks great
    - Looks good on leather straps
    - Great bang for the buck

Con's
    - After spending some time on watch forums I've been wooed by significantly more expensive watches (which I cannot afford - for now atleast). For some reason, it seems like this brand doesn't get enough respect.

Link:
    http://www.discountwatches.nl/Images...5b_thmb_xl.jpg

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about this watch? (I've attached a picture, lets see if it works). Longines Master Collection Chronograph. I've been eyeing it for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger.

Pro's
    - Swiss Automatic
    - Reputable brand with established history
    - Dial looks great
    - Looks good on leather straps
    - Great bang for the buck

Con's
    - After spending some time on watch forums I've been wooed by significantly more expensive watches (which I cannot afford - for now atleast). For some reason, it seems like this brand doesn't get enough respect.

Link:
    http://www.discountwatches.nl/Images...5b_thmb_xl.jpg

Looks nice to me. Only buy what you can afford. Looks like it only can measure to 30 minutes, if that's enough for you. I sometimes time a few hours, so think about what you need a chronograph for.

17. NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP

18. NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP

[​IMG]
    This ROLEX is fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. lee lin

lee lin Well-Known Member

codered, i think the journe is a classic or at least is going to be. was journe the first to design a watch in that style? i noticed the lange 1 and the glashutte pano series share similar designs. perhaps it was designed after lange?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.