1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stro

stro Active Member

just a humble lurker, but it seems like there's a bit of conflation going on with the concept of "upgrading." on the one hand, there's upgrading within a collection; i think the analogy to art here rings fairly true. i know the pepsi bezeled seiko 5 that will join my PAM when my new job kicks in will mean a lot to me for a long time in the face of potential "upgrades," even as i can (and do, and will...) drool over the beautiful shots of GMT's that pop up in this thread until my girlfriend elbows me for dereliction of attention.

but as for upgrades in the production process, the engineering or functional aspect of the watch industry seems important in a way that doesn't sit perfectly with the art industry. part of the charm of the hobby, at least reviewing its development over time, are silly things like complications arms races and rolex sending watches deeper than humans have any right to expect to survive underwater. there is an element of quantification that is a bit easier to track over time with watches than it is with art, and for better or worse (maybe just for ad-speak) the lore tends to follow this progressive technological narrative for watches.

in other words, premises (1)-(5) stand with respect to a watch's place within a given fan's collection; but with respect to the production of watches and their subtle (or not so subtle) changes over time, not quite so. it seems right that high-end watches fit the paradigm of premises (A)-(D) relative to other means of telling time (cell phones i guess?), but there's enough wiggle room between a given high-end watch "X" and another "Y" such that preferences between high end watches may arise along practicality or functional considerations. "upgrade" seems like an appropriate term for this... even if it seems a bit cold in the collection context. jmho [​IMG]

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Mine's a 59.3 mil.

3. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Well-Known Member

4. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why I was saying that if you're going for a DJII, don't buy new — unlike cars, they hold their value after the inital depreciation hit.

Ask a top watchmaker such as Robert Greubel, Stephen Forsey, Roger Smith, Philippe Dufour or Kari Voutilainen: "Are you an artist?"
    An honest reply would be: "No, I'm an artisan."
    In some cases, another honest reply could be: "No, I'm a craftsman of tools for illegal economic activities."
    :)

From money laundering to bribery to just plain being a straight-up gangsta, there's absolutely a practical aspect to them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (from Ivan Guzman's twitter, obviously)

What symbolic meaning does a wristwatch have? (Symbolizing "I am considerably richer than thou" doesn't really count.)
    :tounge:

As an aside, I do wonder what percentage of megabuck watches are used as underground financial instruments... it's probably not insignificant. It's no secret that it's a handy (wristy?) way to discreetly move money across borders. OK, "discreet" may not be quite the right term considering the photos above, but it still beats the ol' cash-filled briefcase.

Another advantage of using watches instead of cash: not getting eaten by rats.

"According to Roberto Escobar, Pablo Escobar's accountant, they spent $2,500 a month for buying rubber bands to wrap the stacks of cash. They had more illegal money than they could store in banks. Therefore, they stored the bricks of cash in their warehouses. About 10% were destroyed each year because of rats."​

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    3 people like this.
  5. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

watch buffs, i'm on the scout for a Submariner 5513, ideally made in my birth year, 1986 in good+ condition. ideally with box and papers but will also consider ones without. shoot me a PM with a reasonable price if you're looking to offload.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Speaking of BBC articles such as the one Farhad posted above, here's another article from the BBC on fine watches:

"The Super-luxury watches that take years to make"

The article's mainly about Roger Smith, who apprenticed to George Daniels after he impressed Daniels by making his own watch from scratch. Following Daniels' death, Smith remained on the Isle of Man and continued to make watches under the name RW Smith:

http://www.rwsmithwatches.com/home/

7. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

#throwback. The kind lady receptionist gave me a nice travel pouch when I purchase a new strap for my 5035.
    Maybe you can ask for them on your nx visit?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Although the dial is a flat black, the sunken day and month dials add a certain depth to the dial making it come alive.
    Enjoying some wrist love.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first "real" watch! Truly love the thing. It meant a lot to me to wait for a long time, do a ton of research and finally purchase this one.

Real happy with my purchase, just need some better lighting and skills for the next pic ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    5 people like this.
  9. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I haven't posted in a bit, so I figured I would bring out the 15300 today
    :)
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  10. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to contact a shop that specializes in vintage Rolex watches and tell them what you are looking for.

1 person likes this.
  11. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

HQ Milton has a 1985 16800 with B&P though on a nato for $4,500. The issue with saying "I want a 1986 with B&P" is that once they find it, they can charge you a premium because you don't want their 1985 or 1987 but a 1986.

Also I would worry less about B&P and more about the reputation of the dealer.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Yes, as a rule, the more specific and exacting your requirements the wider you must open your wallet.

1 person likes this.
  14. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

That is a great rule and not only in the watch world.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Welcome back! Your 15300 looks great !!!
    It's slimmer sibling says hello!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

If you enjoyed that article, check out The Watchmaker's Apprentice. Staring Smith and Daniels, it goes in-depth into Smith's story. As an aside, I had the good fortune to meet Mr. Smith this year, he is incredibly humble and very nice.

1 person likes this.
  17. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

@bkotsko I love this watch! You know, I only started looking at the Royal Oak after seeing this on your wrist last year. Inspired me to pick up the white dial chrono.

1 person likes this.
  18. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I do like your RO Chrono, Mike.
    Next time you are through the area or vice versa, we will have to grab dinner.

19. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Boom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.