• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
This "in house" business is interesting. I agree it's dishonest, but I feel every so slightly for Bremont as they seem to have been caught out so comprehensively while others seem to be accepted as "in house" when they're little more than iterative changes to old designs. Even Nomos's movements are based on a pre-existing design, aren't they? Still, they are adding new elements of their own more and more, so fair play.

The Alpha is based on the Peseux 7001 with different bridges and plates, but manufactured "in-house" (not purchased and modified, but built from the ground up). The rest are truly "in-house" I believe.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the recent talk of boring fonts and box and papers, this might me a good time to post my latest acquisition:

Again, courtesy of the awesome e-uncle from whom I had acquired my first TWAT-worthy piece less than a year ago.

@Kaplan : I owe you some thanks too since it was your thread that turned me on to this watch in the first place. I also remember your subsequent post about how yours might possibly be the last Mark XV ever made.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dunno, I would say that the nice box that the Royal Oak came in enhanced the my first AP experience. At least for the 10 minutes it was out before it went up on the shelf in the closet. LOL

give it to me then plz. kthnxbai. :)

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gaz, nice to see you back, hope you stick around.

@Kaplan : I owe you some thanks too since it was your thread that turned me on to this watch in the first place. I also remember your subsequent post about how yours might possibly be the last Mark XV ever made.

Congrats on the acquisition Wes and I'm glad to hear I was helpful in making up your mind. If you like yours as much as I like mine, it's gonna be a keeper :)

Just for fun, and to make you feel good about your new watch, I located a few owners comments on their Mark XV over the last decade:

'the Mark XV is as close to the "perfect" watch for me, and it holds its own against my 3 Rolexes and Cousteau Diver' - D, 2004

'A superb alternative to the usual (Rolex) and quite possibly the perfect watch.' - B, 2006

'The Mark XV is a perfect watch in every way. I know of no other watch that is perfect like this. ' - E, 2008

'I too like the mark XV's (the last IWC marks with the proper hands :wink: ) A pretty near perfect watch if such a thing exists' - N, 2011

'Nice watch, yo' - Kaplan, 2014

Disclaimer: Though these are genuine, that was mostly tongue in cheek, as I know you can probably find someone somewhere saying antything is perfect if you look for it, but I do think that for those that get the Mark XV it does seem like they *really* get it :)

Btw, I recently got a brown Camille Fournet strap for mine, but I think it's a bit too light and I like yours better. Do you know where it's from?

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gaz, nice to see you back, hope you stick around.

Congrats on the acquisition Wes and I'm glad to hear I was helpful in making up your mind. If you like yours as much as I like mine, it's gonna be a keeper :)

Just for fun, and to make you feel good about your new watch, I located a few owners comments on their Mark XV over the last decade:

'the Mark XV is as close to the "perfect" watch for me, and it holds its own against my 3 Rolexes and Cousteau Diver' - D, 2004

'A superb alternative to the usual (Rolex) and quite possibly the perfect watch.' - B, 2006

'The Mark XV is a perfect watch in every way. I know of no other watch that is perfect like this. ' - E, 2008

'I too like the mark XV's (the last IWC marks with the proper hands :wink: ) A pretty near perfect watch if such a thing exists' - N, 2011

'Nice watch, yo' - Kaplan, 2014

Disclaimer: Though these are genuine, that was mostly tongue in cheek, as I know you can probably find someone somewhere saying antything is perfect if you look for it, but I do think that for those that get the Mark XV it does seem like they *really* get it :)

Btw, I recently got a brown Camille Fournet strap for mine, but I think it's a bit too light and I like yours better. Do you know where it's from?

Strap is from a Mark XV Spitfire LE.
Like one of these.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like one of these.

I didn't know the Mark XV was available with so many different stock strap options:

3253 pilot's watch Mark XV 19 - 16 mm alligator dull brown IWA12701
3253 pilot's watch Mark XV 19 - 16 mm alligator dull black IWA12707
3253 pilot's watch Mark XV 19 - 16 mm buffalo brown IWA05613
3253 pilot's watch Mark XV 19 - 16 mm buffalo black IWA05510
3253 pilot's watch Mark XV 19 - 16 mm buffalo dull brown IWA12704
3253 pilot's watch Mark XV 19 - 16 mm buffalo dull black IWA12698
3253 pilot's watch Mark XV 19 - 18 mm buffalo black IWA05336

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the black buffalo was the only strap option for the Mark XV (it was in my 2003/4 catalogue). Where to get those other ones?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the black buffalo was the only strap option for the Mark XV (it was in my 2003/4 catalogue). Where to get those other ones?

I thought so too, until I found that info on the IWC forum. Dunno if it's accurate though.

I might try a custom Short length strap from TWB.

It's also been suggested that I can just squeeze any stock 20mm Short strap into the 19mm lugs.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

medium800.jpg

It's been a while...

Fitbit needs to be more discrete.

v nice.

now lets see some pics of that PP 5124. :)

aaron0011

Reaction score
New member here, some very nice watches in this thread. My daily wearer is an Omega Planet Ocean 2201.50.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought so too, until I found that info on the IWC forum. Dunno if it's accurate though.

I might try a custom Short length strap from TWB.

It's also been suggested that I can just squeeze any stock 20mm Short strap into the 19mm lugs.

The only other place those strap reference numbers show up on-line, is on an official looking chart from 2002. I doubt you could still get hold of many of these straps, but if anyone knows different I'd love to hear about it.

As for squeezing a 20mm strap, I'm sure it can be done. I do it often with a NATO (or RAF) strap, and while fitting it is easy enough, there is some visual overhang (which I don't really mind with a canvas or nylon strap).

Btw, here's another note on straps, that may or may not be of import to you. While I think the black buffalo looks great on the deployant buckle in the 19-16mm size, I also got an IWC 16mm tang buckle and when using that, I think a 19-16mm strap tapers too much. If I were to get a custom strap I'd get the 18mm tang buckle from IWC and get a 19-18mm strap.

Like one of these.

zippyh, do you (or anyone else) know where to get this strap? If not, who's my best bet for a custom copy?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads