1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Without the date it would be perfect.

2. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Typical Watch Anish stuff. While I love to read his blog and follow his IG (mostly for the 'luxe' out-of-reach content), for every nice watch (F.P. Journe, Arnold & Son, etc.) there is at least 3 or 4 tacky, bling watch that I can't stand, really.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Gems encrusted tool watch... The Dude does not abide.

1 person likes this.
  5. BostonHedonist

And then suddenly, without warning...

Naughty Nautilus brothers...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello London limited edition...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little something for the missus?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewel encrusted Rolex? Or perhaps....
    [​IMG]

When tracking your own star just isn't enough...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half a millennium ago, all the ballers had one.
    [​IMG]

Because GMTs are for wusses...
    [​IMG]

Was your PP finished on this bench?
    [​IMG]

Oh yes, take it off...
    [​IMG]

And from behind...
    [​IMG]

And a little something for Dino...
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Oh my oh my oh my!

7. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

@forex: I tell all of my bill collectors that I will pay them on June 31st! LOL. Great pic and great watch tho! :happy:

The labeling on those soda cans was quite the marketing ploy, and I can see how you couldn't resist. Thanks for thinking of us ha ha.

I actually bought one last week for my daughter, just because it had her name on it, and she doesn't even really like soft drinks.

Also, I find that GMT II just a little understated for my personal taste, although I must admit the black leather was an inspired choice. Quite the pairing, really.

8. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

I totally thought this was posted by someone else.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  9. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Understood - thanks Dino!

10. Keith T

@BH: curious, do you have a favorite Patek?

I must be felling goofy this morning, but that little shot of the Golden Ellipsi (?) Ellipses (?) Elipsizszszs .... looks oddly appealing.

NOT running out to buy one, just sayin' ...

11. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Hahahah nice disclaimer there!

Anish and crew consciously positioned their business in the intersection of "watches and luxury lifestyles." They've evolved over time, and there are certain brands they would rather not do business with. I appreciate some, but not all of the shots they post. But I'm also glad I get a chance to personally weigh in on some decisions they make, because their COO is a close friend.

Likewise with Hodinkee - I've seen Ben Clymer take that site from what it was back in 2008 to what it is now, and I haven't liked everything they've done. I've also relayed said feedback directly to Ben.

The Horological Society of New York does great things, but offering free watchmaking 101 classes given how interest in watches has grown will mean a year-long waiting list. Nick Manousos, who does awesome 3D printed versions of tourbillons and the like, is a friend and he's confirmed that the more advanced courses will charge a fee. For the good stuff that HSNY does, I help support them.

Adam Craniotes has been one of my closest friends for years, and is in Boston right now helping organize/launch "Red Bar Boston," the same thing he and another close friend did for New York back in 2006. You can rest assured that I rag on him all the time if the crew ends up doing stuff that seem... Out of order. But I love what they've done for the New York watch community.

What can I say? I kind of like being involved and giving direct feedback to watch related stuff. After a while anonymous rants on the internet just gets old, don't you think?

1 person likes this.
  12. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

You might want to see a doctor. It could be a stroke or aneurysm or something.

13. Keith T

Yeah, I usually dismiss that model immediately, just out of hand.

But something about the composition of the pic, or that particular grouping gave me a bit of pause for some reason.

@frilly: I frequently wish that I had more (or better) access to the WIS community, for lack of a better term, in the sense that I rarely get to interact personally with other enthusiasts. Sad to say, but I frequently wander through ADs just to chat with the sales staff. (I'm sensitive to their time and other customers, but you know what I mean).

I do know that WUS has a get-together scheduled here in Houston for later this month, but alas, I will be out of town that weekend.

And speaking of Hodinkee, I thought Forster's bit on the Lange One comparison (old vs. new) was a nicely written piece, with some decent pr0n to boot.

2 people like this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the eye candy! Its always great to see something different such as non-round movements.

Your welcome ![​IMG]

The Ellipse takes some getting used to, but they have grown on me over the years. Mrs. Dino thinks it would be an interesting addition to my collection at some point. Also, it would be another Genta design in my collection. Maybe at some point.

I hope he can get something going in Boston. It would be cool to have a Red Bar Crew relatively close to home. I know one of the jewelry stores in Boston tried something like it, but I think it fizzled. Wishing him lots of luck!

15. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Access to the WIS community is something I think a lot of us wish we had more access to. I've been to a handful of things in the Boston area. Unfortunately, most weren't well organized and or never happened again, and sadly at least a significant group of people that attended some of the Boston events were snobby or just plain strange.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a Boston Red Bar Crew will work out nicely for our community and bring out a good group of collectors/watch fans.

16. BostonHedonist

In spite of all the fabulous things Patek has done, I think my favorite overall (in terms of what would integrate with my own life) would probably the standard blue dial Nautilus date. But then, I'm a younger guy and self-employed. So there's little sense in my having much invested in thoroughbred dress watches.

I will have a Nautilus at some point. Preferably one as old as dirt and scratched to high heaven, but keeping flawless time and quite waterproof.

How about yourself?

17. no frills

I have another friend who lives in Houston who gets his fill of watch talk from forums, and now iMessage groups that we share. If you're ever in the NYC area ping me! Totally regret not pinging you when I was in Houston and picked up a DBlue (for a friend, at the time), but I was literally there for the day and flew out that afternoon.

Fingers crossed! Adam's fantastic. Genuine enthusiast, encyclopedic knowledge, great writing style, incredibly down to earth dude. Plus, our kids are relatively close in age so that helps with "topics to discuss other than watches." Hah!

18. no frills

5711 blue dial. So good. Or do you fancy the older models without a sweeping seconds hand?

19. Keith T

In no particular order:

World Time (prefer WG with scissors)

Nautilus 5711

5146J with the gray dial

Calatrava .... sector dial :hide: (I know, I know) and I also like 5196J.

I'd be proud to own any of the above!

1 person likes this.
  20. Keith T

And yes frilly, hit me up if you're ever back in H-town.

You get a pass due to the quick turnaround on that last visit my man :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.