• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
A little work with a Cape Cod cloth...done.

NonServiam

Reaction score
Ouch.

Regarding transportation, my ride home from work took me through the Royal Palace park. On a crappy city bike. Crappy, but the workout is all the better for it. For a nominal yearly fee, I need not worry about parking my bike, and can choose to take public transport either way. As a bonus, I get to dodge hapless tourists and ring the bell at pretty hipster girl riding in summer dresses. Oh, and have a nice view of my chosen timepiece. Today it was the Oysterquartz

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never had anything of notice on mine.

well, it certainly does not happen to everyone, but they are more scratch resistant than scratch proof, similar to water resistance. neither is a guarantee, just some extra protection.

inb4 condom joke.

:rotflmao:    Absolutely love this !!!  

plus one.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch.

Regarding transportation, my ride home from work took me through the Royal Palace park. On a crappy city bike. Crappy, but the workout is all the better for it. For a nominal yearly fee, I need not worry about parking my bike, and can choose to take public transport either way. As a bonus, I get to dodge hapless tourists and ring the bell at pretty hipster girl riding in summer dresses. Oh, and have a nice view of my chosen timepiece. Today it was the Oysterquartz

THIS. The awesomeness.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

well, it certainly does not happen to everyone, but they are more scratch resistant than scratch proof, similar to water resistance. neither is a guarantee, just some extra protection.

Nothing is a 100% anything, but you need "skill" and effort to break it and as before mentioned I've have "thrown" my watch through the air.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have seen enough scratched and chipped sapphire crystals in my day to disagree, but im glad you have not had any issues.

in other news, minty fresh still with the plastic wrap!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Is something stamped into the case side? What?

That is just a protective sticker with a bar code. Typical on all new Rolexes.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. I don't think mine had that, but then it's been a few decades since it was new.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

At the risk of causing the heavens to rend asunder: I prefer the 39mm version for size.  But for a 36mm Rolex I'd pick the plain old Oyster, and do away with those irritating Arabic numbers.  The new grey one is lovely.

+1 mimo.

I found the 36mm Explorer a touch too small for me personally, but that's always subjective, and comes down to not only wrist size, but also shape.

Admittedly, I don't wear this one enough, but feel it was the right choice between the two. (*And yes, the watch hands are "too short", said every 39mm-hater, ever.) I'm not even going to argue that. Point conceded.

A different perspective on my BLNR. After 7 months of love, the polished center links are all scratched up. Does it make me love it less? No. What's to point of a fine time piece if it doesn't fit into your life? Any of the RO owners care to share what the bracelet looks like on the underside of their wrist? I've wondered what those look like as the finish on AP's is top notch and brushed just so.

Daytona gives me the same issue re: polished center links, but as others have mentioned, a little wabi-sabi just gives the watch a bit more charm and personality, right? IT'S NOT EVEN REALLY YOURS UNTIL YOU SCRATCH IT! (Ha!) Ultimately, I embraced the little swirls and scratches for the beautiful imperfection that they bring to an awesome chronograph.

Hmmm... I could get behind this attitude.  I've seen some interested in vintage Omegas and Rolexes that seem pretty reasonably priced and already have some of the dings of age.  Maybe I'll get one of those, bang it around a while, and see what I think.  

Yes.

That's what I'm talking about!

Start somewhere, take the plunge, and add a few of your own love marks.

NS, living the dream...

HUGE fan of the Milgauss. Very nice!!

I'm not sure what to do about the Milguass.

The "vert" sapphire is still a bit overrated IMO, but at the same time the white dial version seems to be horribly UNDERrated.

Feels like that watch is the one Rolex "sports model" that the ADs always have in the case. Always.

"Have you guys got the new SeaDweller yet?"

"Um, no. Sorry sir. Can we interest you in a Milgauss?"

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I've seen both the new SD and the old SD on sale in the last week or so. But you're right - that seems to be the ugly sister of Milgausses. Although in some ways it should be the classy choice.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have seen enough scratched and chipped sapphire crystals in my day to disagree, but im glad you have not had any issues.

in other news, minty fresh still with the plastic wrap!

Got to give this one some Rolex love. +1.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Right then, a challenge for you proper nerds: simply, is this a fake?

I was shown this the other day, and something smelt off right from the beginning. Firstly, whichever angle I looked at it, the dial didn't seem to be sitting vertically. Still doesn't here. Secondly, the finish on the bracelet and case just wasn't as "sharp" as I feel on any other RO. I could put it down to its being used, but it didn't seem right. And now I've compared this pic to several others on sale, there are a couple of other things: the nuts in the bezel don't look right - not flat or precise enough. Also, although I've seen versions with and without the numbered minute markers, those with also seem to have a black border around the date window, and those without, not. This is half and half. And most of all, it has a solid caseback when I thought that was just the chronos, and it felt a touch light.

Sorry it's just one poor pic, but I have faith in you. Educate me, AP masters. Is this a naughty fake? If so, I might be about to cause some trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads