1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding pedantic, it's not a gold allergy, but is instead an allergic reaction to small amounts of nickel in the gold alloy (as, of course, watches and other jewellery are not made from pure gold).

As mimo suggested, you could try the fingernail varnish trick as I've known a couple of people who've used that with rings. The downside to that is that you'll probably have to reapply the varnish from time to time and it will be a bit fiddly.

Otherwise, try an all-steel oyster bracelet or, as you were thinking, go for a leather strap.

1 person likes this.
  3. sd2002

sd2002 Well-Known Member

A more expensive to get another bracelet that is 18 carat gold or better. As the nickel traces would too low to react to [​IMG]

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I had heard of the nail polish trick for rings. It seems a bit trickier for watches. And as this is a watch I wear (wore) multiple times a week, I doubt I'd be able to keep up with the applications. Still think leather band is my best bet. Anyone have suggestions on a good maker? Looking for something that will lay flat/be subtle.

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

There's a lot of pretty nice straps on Panatime.com, unless you're looking for a custom-made leather strap/MTO.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I would recommend them too; always some good prices on offer. Just one piece of advice: get a matte finish; the glossy ones look very plastic in real life, while the matte have a more subtle sheen and feel like quality. And 'Murrican alligator is better than African croc.

7. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Here are a couple more Chicago shops that might be worth a visit.

Geneva Seal features Blancpain, Omega, Dubuis, Muller and the vastly underappreciated Hublot :p among others. Their preowned selection is hit or miss.

http://www.genevaseal.com

Howard Frum has a prodigious selection of preowned Rolex. He's in the Mallers Building which is mostly jewelry/diamond shops but will often yield a smattering of high end preowned pieces.

http://howardfrum.net

If you make it to Howard Frum then definitely stop at Pizano's location in the Mallers Building. Their thin crust (with extra butter) is on my death row final meal menu.

http://www.pizanoschicago.com/the-loop.php

1 person likes this.
  8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. I'll have a look. And way ahead of you, mimo. All matte everything. Was actually thinking sueded 'gator but I think the watch is too classic to do that. Also may grab a NATO band for weekends.

9. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

One option that would add a lot to the look is a set of custom end links. Rolexforums member 'Mastermixer' makes end links to fit straps on Rolexes that were not designed for them:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=393940

The stainless steel end links are $75, and he will send along a black strap for an extra $20 if desired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A friend of mine purchased a pair for his 116710 (the above is not his, but Mastermixer's photo), purchased an OEM Rolex strap for sale online in order to get a coronet clasp, and he absolutely loves the combo. From what I understand, Mastermixer also makes precious metal end links as well, so he may have a two tone option available for you, but if not, the SS links would still look better than open space between the strap and the case.

As for the strap itself, I agree that a cognac alligator would rock the house, and I personally would have George Lan at Cheergiant make a strap to your specs including material, color and stitching, thickness, and size. I have used both him and Aaron at Combat Straps and both produce a quality product for very reasonable rates:

Cheergiant photo gallery, George's email is cheergiant@gmail.com
    http://s351.photobucket.com/user/Cheergiant/library/?sort=3&page=1

Combat-Straps:
    http://combat-straps.com

Other strap vendor options:

http://www.hirschstraps.com/
    http://www.dalucastraps.com

As already posted, if Panatime has something acceptable, they are usually the best value.

Hope this helps - Good luck whatever the ultimate choice!

3 people like this.
  10. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

^^^ Great discussion above!

Passed on the 116618LB. For now!

11. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

Camille Fournet: camillefournet.com

They are one of the OEM manufacturers of straps for all the major brands. You can order a custom MTO through their website. Outstanding quality and fantastic prices.

12. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Jean Rousseau? I was in their London store last weekend. Nice selection, very good prices, looked good quality to me. I was going to try them out with a new strap for my Reverso.

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

It is good quality!

Decide from your previous strap, how long you like each end to be and have them fitted with a single hole (as opposed to the 5 or 7 holes used in commercial watch straps).

14. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Gents,

I am facing a dilemma for the last couple of days. I am uncertain if I should go for a IWC 3239 Ingenieur (new model) or a Rolex Submariner 114060. Both with black dial.

What keeps me off a Ingy is the ETA movement while Sub has an in-house one.

Ingy looks more cool to my eyes, perhaps because it's a fresh version, while Rolex has stronger and more rich appearance, yet it's so popular that I have a feeling every third guy I see on the street is wearing one, so that's actually a downside in my book a bit.

I am also considering the resale value after couple of years. I guess Rolex would be easier to sell off, while I am not sure about the ETA Ingy ..

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for a good jamon Iberico

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Dachshund

Thanks, and yes, that was exactly what I was going to do - much neater.

And they've got just the right shade of pink stingray that I've been looking for.

Just kidding.

17. Dachshund

Aren't we all? Is that that huge covered market off of Las Ramblas?

If you get a taste for that stuff there's this bizarre shop on the Strand that seems to sell nothing but jamon Iberico in various formats. Christ knows how they pay the rent. But it's delicious, and a good job they are too far for me to walk for lunch every day.

18. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

I've purchased custom straps from Jean Rousseau in London. Very good quality, similar to Camille Fournet.

Regarding stingray...maybe not in pink, but it's cool (but spendy) stuff that looks great with the right watch.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  19. dsn112

dsn112 Member

You have to get the one that feels best on your wrist. That being said I wear a 114060 daily and have never come across any other person wearing the same watch. SubC date, sure, but the no-date is more of a wis model. Try them both and make the call, but I agree that paying iwc money for an ETA sounds silly.

1 person likes this.
  20. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I would say if the Ingy appeals to your taste, then take advantage of the weaker resale value and get a used one - depreciation and ETA guilt dismissed in one fell swoop.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.