1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Congrats !!! Very nice choice. I've always liked the design of the Ingenieur and I am a big fan of blue dials or blue elements (BLNR/Pepsi GMT) on watches. Congrats again and enjoy!!! [​IMG]

2. Dino944

I really dislike the new Pilot Travel Time by Patek. The first time I saw a photo was on IG, and I thought it was just some goofy fake based on another brand's old pilot watch but with PP marks on the dial. I was disappointed to discover it was a real offering from Patek.

2 people like this.
  3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

Again I'm probably weird but I kind of like that Patek Pilot Travel Time.. I mean I don't love it like I love Frilly's collection, but if I was gifted one, I would be a happy camper for sure..

4. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Yeah but you like a DSSD... [​IMG]

Kidding. I haven't seen the 5524G in the metal, and friends who've seen it say it's unmistakably well finished, etc. I think that in the range of other timepieces (and assets!) that I could obtain for the 5524G's list price, it won't rank as high. But - as you said - if one was gifted to me... [​IMG]

5. CasuallySmart

CasuallySmart Well-Known Member

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

LOL! well played, sir! I have no defense for my unexplainable affection for the DSSD and my other horological monstrosities but I appreciate the love here nonetheless!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. Dino944

I'm sure its well finished, but I just don't like how the watch looks. So it doesn't appeal to me at all. If gifted one, I'd sell/trade it for something else.

8. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

Any good events happening on Tuesday haha? I'll be up there for a fitting, might as well get myself in to some trouble too.

9. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Well-Known Member

I really like the Ingenieur 3239. Please post pics when the Laureus comes in.

10. mezentius

mezentius Well-Known Member

Hi gents, quick question - what are alternatives to an entry-level Journe? I'm not familiar at all with the top end...

11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I think you're asking the question the wrong way around, perhaps? If an entry level nearly-new Journe is about $20k, then perhaps you should ask "what is the most wonderful X I can get for $20k"?

Give us some more thoughts about what "X" might be in your mind? Quirky? Dressy? Size preference? Colour/material, strap or bracelet, any particular function....the more the better. And is that the budget you had in mind?

As official in-house enabler, I love this game.

12. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

lol. The next watch will be a silver or white dial.

13. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

You could really trade/sell a gifted watch? I have 2 watches that were gifted to me (one from my parents and the other from my wife) that doesn't fit my style and aren't TWAT/WIS-approved, but I still wear them from time to time. Would I buy these watch if I chose for myself? No, but I'm sure the people who gifted them to me took a great amount of time researching what I like, and I couldn't possibly see myself flipping them.

The fact that they are gifted makes it impossible for me to trade/sell them.

1 person likes this.
  14. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

A different Ingy on bracelet, not so TWAT-approved, but definitely beloved by me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. mezentius

mezentius Well-Known Member

Aye, so more on the dressy side, minimal complications, probably rose gold (we like both, but rose is cheaper) =<40 mm, as it's probably going to be one of those pieces which gets handed down. The budget is around that - we were looking at the standard Pateks, Vacherons and Langes, but the Journe really did stand out from your average dress watch without being too flamboyant.

16. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

Nice! I like most Ingy's (including that one); I just find most to be too big for my wrist.

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

+1. I would not mind a nice 3227.

1 person likes this.
  18. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

BTW, that's an issue I have with most IWCs. I can't recall the number of times I've gone through their website wishing a watch was 2-4mm smaller!

19. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge New Member

Looking to upgrade my wardrobe staples with some Kamakura white dress shirts. The 200 thread count twill shirts are not in stock. Other options ($79/US) are either 100% cotton or 100% Supima cotton. I know the difference between the two fabrics but which is better for a shirt? Thanks

20. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

The close-up pics make it seem like a lot is going on in the dial - but I bet that's not how it comes across on the wrist. Do you take that swimming? Enjoy the beach!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.