1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Awesome Pepsi. That one's on my bucket list. :slayer:

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

So I had my jeweler back home in the states fedex me my GMT II at the UK flat after the service was done.

UK Customs appears to be holding it for a £1000 ransom.

I'm really rather speechless. Advice would be appreciated.

3. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the situation, @BostonHedonist . Wouldn't the quickest way of settling this be to show proof you've already owned the watch and had just left it in the US for service?

I'm going to tag @Dino944 on this note, because he among several others have discussed these risks and travails of importing/shipping Rolex watches across borders, particularly Europe and the US. I don't even remember how many times that topic has come up here in TWAT. Here's hoping @Dino944 and others have useful suggestions to relay.

Let us know how it's resolved...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Bummer. Surely persuading them to read the service receipt might help? My only advice is to stay polite and patient.

On another point, what happened to that guy with the f*** ROO?

5. BostonHedonist

Push come to shove, I'm pretty sure I could just have it sent back and pick it up when I come back for the month of August.

But the thought of my baby being manhandle by those brutes at customs...

The jeweler ought to have warned me of this, or at least taken precautions to avoid it. >sigh< oh bother.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your 16570! Looks great! I've had the same watch for about 14 years and I'm a big fan of them. Enjoy it in good health! [​IMG]
    That's a beauty! Its always nice when you unexpectedly find the right watch and it goes home with you. Enjoy it![​IMG]

I agree. I would definitely contact customs inform them its not a new purchase and present them with proof of ownership such as purchase paperwork, service papers etc.

Have you spoken with anyone at customs as to why they are seeking a payment on this watch. I presume they think you just bought it and had it imported. If so I would tell them you purchased the watch while living in the US, and it was being serviced there. That you are not a UK citizen and it was your possession prior to moving to the UK, and offer to present them with ownership documents showing when it was purchased and the service papers showing where you lived prior to moving.

I'm more familiar with issues arising when people try to ship/import a Rolex into the US...I've never discussed importing/shipping Rolex watches to the UK.

7. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Any fans of PP 5167A-001? I asked to be put on the list and should have one available for me hopeful by the end of this year or sometime in 2016.
    My AD only get 1 or 2 each year and quite a few people want to enter PP with this model. I'm pumped.

Yes I know, it's AP vs PP but I'm starting to lean towards PP ;)

8. BostonHedonist

Yes I explained all of that after a call with someone on Friday; they said I'd have to email in and explain the situation. Hoping to hear back over the next day or so.

I just hope it doesn't take a month to get my watch back. At least I had a little Parisian retail therapy to keep my spirits up through the weekend.

9. Dino944

I think you need to politely ask why they are charging a tax on a watch you already owned, and purchased in your own country of origin. Also, even if you can ask if they can just ship it back to the jeweler in they US, you could run into the headache of US customs seizing your watch. Rolex watches are only allowed to be imported into the US by Rolex or you can bring one in "On your person", when you enter the US. Technically, you can't ship a Rolex into the US regardless of the circumstances. Also, I think if US customs seizes a watch they can keep it, it does not have to be given to the buyer, or they may charge an exorbitant fee to try to dissuade people from shipping more Rolex watches. If its in the UK, I would say, do your best to figure out how to get it back while its there. Plenty of watches get stolen in transit each year. I'm not sure what the insurance coverage issues would be if you turned the watch away to avoid a fee, and now shipped it on a trip that the watch was not originally intended to go on when it was shipped to you in the UK. Sorry to bring up more potential headaches.

As for your jeweler, and his fault you really can't rely on them to know much about dealing with foreign countries. If its a relatively small Rolex dealer he might not be aware of import export issues (as the bulk of his Rolex sales are mostly likely local -Rolex USA even has rules to limit dealers selling outside of their local region). I'd also venture to say, most dealers don't know the import/tax issues that could potentially arise in foreign countries. At least now that you know the headaches that can arise you will know to do a little research or talk to others on foreign watch forums to learn what risks might arise in their markets.

Sorry for your headaches. Wishing you lots of luck. Let us know how things go.

10. Dino944

Sorry, I find it a rather less attractive variation of the Nautilus. I tried one on and found it rather unimpressive. Yes, there is a market for it, as I believe its their least expensive piece. However, its popularity due to being the most "Affordable" PP wouldn't be a selling point. My father asked me what I thought of it, because his AD offered him one at a discount. My advice was wait and save a bit more and get a Nautilus or some other model. Just my 2 cents. I like Patek a lot, but not that model. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

1 person likes this.
  11. Steel28

thanks Dino, always appreciate your thoughts. Well, I have yet to see it in person but been lusting over this model for a few years now. Nautilus is my true Grail but I'm going to aim towards Aquanaut and make my decision. I'm glad I still have some time to finalize my choice. I also think that PP keeps its value a bit better vs AP, no?

12. BostonHedonist

Thank you Dino. I wish I liked what you had to say but I am grateful for it.

13. no frills

Remind us again which AP is the contender versus the 5167? The Aquanaut sports the least impressive finishing among the PPs; the 5167 and its "tropical dial" is much better but I have the earlier 5066/1A and I find that it really leaves much to be desired, given my expectations from a PP.

Still, friends who own a 5167 (and the recently introduced 5164A) love its lightness and feel. So YMMV. I much prefer the Nautilus line; but versus the 15202, 15300 or the 15400 I would personally choose the AP. And that's from a Patek fan who has yet to get an AP!

My two cents.

2 people like this.
  14. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Me, but then again for me it isn't the PP 5167 or the PP 5711 or an AP 15300. For me it's all three. YMMV

WARNING pictures have been posted before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. no frills

I was hoping you'd chime in with that comment dddrees! Heh heh!

16. dddrees

I saw the bat signal, I just couldn't resist. LOL

1 person likes this.
  17. Steel28

Damn..I was hoping to hear some love towards 5167 :). I'm looking at 15400 as contender. I have a big milestone coming up next year and promised to get another special piece.

I know you have a great collection DDD! lol @ "pictures have been posted before" warning hahahha.

Now, just by looking at your pics, I love the way 5167 stands out against 15300. I'm almost passing out by looking at Nautilus lol.

18. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

I think I'd go with AP 15300 though there must be something special about putting on a PP.

The 5167 is attractive as a rubber band watch in the collection.

1 person likes this.
  19. dddrees

Thank you sir, but it's not someone else's Luv you should worry about. All you need to concern yourself with is whether you Luv it or not.

I for one do.

2 people like this.
  20. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Your pieces are simply incredible...can't believe you have all three. Nicely done :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.