• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep. This one will stay on the bracelet.
usara5e3.jpg

These rubbers are so damn comfortable it's so habit forming.

Good call. While I'm not a massive fan of rubber straps, I will say that it's among the few current Rolex models that would be acceptable on a solid-colour NATO. Not that I'm likely to bother, though; I tend to keep them quarantined to old-school pilot's watches with acrylic crystals.

The reason it would work OK on NATO (or rubber... I guess) is that the satin dial can look exactly like the old-school matte dials at times. They can look identical head-on (except for the WG surrounds, obviously), but because the new dial has a clear lacquer over the matte base, it takes on the appearance of a glossy dial when viewed past a certain angle. The lacquered matte dial, the slimmer lugs and the narrower crown guards are the design changes that tipped me into getting one, as I wasn't quite compelled by the new Submariner models.

Here are a few photos to try (and mostly fail) to show what I mean about it having both matte and glossy characteristics by comparing it to an example of each. I'll post better examples next time there's a rainy day and I have the inclination to mess around with lighting gear:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Great pics, Belligero.

They definitely demonstrate that chameleon-like characteristic of the new SD. It seems like such a great watch in so many ways.

BTW, did anybody notice what was on Rolex ambassador Martin Kaymer's wrist while hoisting the US Open trophy this past weekend?

Looks like he's got a little platinum (Daytona) to go with that sterling silver.

photo credit - Tampa Bay Times

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it is official, I have a new grail watch. I have a lot of grail watches, but most of them are mostly unattainable unless something magical happens to me. But this one, in time, could be a reality.

Any guesses?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
What was your old grail watch? That may help...

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, it is official, I have a new grail watch. I have a lot of grail watches, but most of them are mostly unattainable unless something magical happens to me. But this one, in time, could be a reality.

Any guesses?

white index Daytona 116520 or AP 15400

:happy:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gosh, this is a difficult question Stitchy. Color me curious.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel28, but which one?

Sidebar 1 - My old grails are still grails, I just don't expect to be owning them anytime in the near or distant future.

Sidebar 2 - I have long wanted this watch, or something in its family, but until now it had not reached grail status.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steel28, but which one?

Sidebar 1 - My old grails are still grails, I just don't expect to be owning them anytime in the near or distant future.

Sidebar 2 - I have long wanted this watch, or something in its family, but until now it had not reached grail status.

G-Shock Perpetual Calendar in Barbie Pink?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Damn this is tough. So much stuff out there. If you had to guess...how much time would have to pass until you think it could happen? haha. Maybe give us an idea of where to look.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Steel28, but which one?

OK. with sidebar 2 clue I'm going to say, AP 15400. Final answer.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
When I think of families I think of Oyster, Nautilus or Royal Oak. They are the first things to come to mind. I doubt it is Oyster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads