1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the question is, exactly? But either way, the Senator Sixties (is that right?) is a beautiful watch. Great picture.

In Communist East Germany, the traditional watchmakers of Glashuette were amalgamated into a single production facility called GUB. After the Wall came down, some of the old family businesses split away and revived: A Lange & Soehne the most prominent, also Muehle, Tutima and Union all came out of the GUB umbrella as independent companies. ALS was later bought by the Richemont group (owners of several other watchmakers, including Jaeger LeCoultre, Panerai, Cartier, and Vacheron Constantin, among other things).

The remainder of the GUB facility was re-branded Glashuette Original, and initially continued producing some of the GUB-developed pieces, for a short time. It was later acquired by the Swatch Group, who like Richemont, own seven or either other watch makers, from Breguet and Blanpain higher up, via Omega, Rado and Longines, down to Swatch at the bargain basement. GO seem to sit roughly next to Blancpain in their brand positioning - above Omega, and a shade below Breguet and Jacquet Droz.

Since then, GO has continued to develop a very distinct design aesthetic, borrowing from the GUB back catalogue for things like the Senator Sixties and Seventies ranges, with modern interpretations, high quality in-house movements, and often using the large date window that has become something of a Glashuette hallmark. For some, they are too close in style to Lange, and even accused or plagiarising the Lange 1 for the Pano range. But I don't think there's any dispute that if you like their styles, the quality is excellent. Unlike Lange, they made most of their watches in steel, and with the resultant combination of relative accessibility in price with unique hand engraved balance cocks and other detailed finishing, they give a pretty good bang for the buck.

If there's a down side, it's that the brand doesn't have anywhere near the recognition of some others in its price range, which means a big hit on resale if you're the kind who wants to buy new and changes his mind a lot. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and I'm sure seven years ago they were a lot cheaper than they are today. So I think you're on a win either way. Also, even though it's a smaller brand in some ways, the Swatch ownership means that you should be on solid ground for long term servicing and support. On which point, although I'm surprised that a crown would actually break after seven years (you must wind it pretty hard!), it's the kind of thing that might often be replaced at that interval during a normal service, so no biggie. I'm told about five years is a normal service interval for a quality watch. That would seem to be the case here.

Enjoy!

8 people like this.
  2. Jose985

Jose985 Member

[​IMG]
    This is my new one - delivered yesterday! Bought it online on http://www.clicktime.eu/ that was surprisingly fast and I am content about my choice.

3. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

My immediate comment is simply that it's a lovely watch! I really like GO a brand, they offer a lot of german horology for the money. Lovely arabic numbers on than one, very cool.

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

The Sub finally got off the wrist...but only for an evening:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I have to say that if you felt like changing the Sub, it seems the least likely of replacements - another steel diver? But then, I do recall you have a lot of steel sports watches on bracelets. And variety is the spice of life, even if the differences are subtle. Looking good.

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

@Renault78law

Love the Senator Sixties. It's got just the right touch of retro-whimsy in the typeface of the numerals without going full-on Franck Muller. I like to think about how much time G.O. executives spent considering and debating typefaces before settling on the sweeping, almost-calligraphic, numerals they ultimately chose.

I do like many of the brand's pieces, particularly the off-beat PanoMaticLunar, though I can see how - as Mimo says - some of the designs most certainly seem A Lange-derived. But that's hardly a deal breaker for many. Watch companies often riff off of each others' designs ad nauseam.

The name recognition certainly isn't there with G.O. like many brands, though I find that watch aficionados generally respect the choice as one that demonstrates character. I tend to think of G.O. as a great value and an excellent non-Swiss choice that flies under the radar of most while delivering unmistakeable quality and refinement.

2 people like this.
  7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Also, impulsive obscure gift for my beloved....INCOMING!

1 person likes this.
  8. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Getting my beloved a not so impulsive gift as well, for Mother's Day. Not a watch. Even the brushed finish of her 116610LV shows magnificent signs of wear at only about a year old - but that cerachrom bezel still looks perfect. Just some wallet to replace her old one. Heh.

9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Your Frillyvolous purchases do rather put mine in the shadow. But...

Impulsive obscure gift for myself....INCOMING!

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

:lurk:

1 person likes this.
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

That's the great thing about this thread. One minute Frilly is buying out Patek Philippe, the next TC's dripping in gold and Range Rovers, and yet someone can show genuine curiosity and appreciation for a vintage piece or simple mechanical beater that costs less than a used pair of shoes.

Naturally, my incoming purchases are at the used shoes end of the spectrum in price. But they are interesting, of that I am confident. And colourful. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I'm wearing something that looks like a $500 watch today.
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  13. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Ha! Not to me, my friend (and I love the original "Heimat" designation instead of the Internet Explorer home page tribute!).

That is a fabulous watch.

1 person likes this.
  14. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

Thanks, I love it. I've actually been working a lot with the UK recently and have been getting a lot of use out of it at the office recently. I find it extremely easy to read at a glance in terms of dual timezone.

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

New straps??

Sistem51???

16. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Beautiful NOMOS - is that strap OEM?

also - I echo the sentiment that GO is a great brand. I've heard nothing but glow from owners. I particularly like the Senator Sixties Date, and it's on my short list. Your watch looks great!

17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

There might be new straps ordered in parallel, if I can be sure of the lug widths, but no Swatches involved!

18. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Definitely, a model I would consider if I were shopping for a GO. Enjoy it!

No hints?

19. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

No, it's a CF Navy Croc. Same specs as the OEM cordovan strap in terms of dimensions and shape.

20. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I tried....they were my two best guesses with the "colorful" hint. haha

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.