1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Slowly but surely is wise, quickly and unsteadily is tempting.

1 person likes this.
  2. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you attribute great value to any watch costing more than a Swatch. From there on up it is just a discretionary purchase to flatter ones ego, or impress ones friends, family and TWAT acquaintances. They are not an investment (in almost every case) and the cost of raw materials bears no relation to the cost of the watch.

How do you value personality or prestige?

I know what you are saying Dino I just do not accept your argument.

2 people like this.
  3. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Value is a completely subjective concept. I'm with Dino on this one. Others may not be. Each to his own.

1 person likes this.
  4. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I cannot really comment on the JLC vs. Piaget debate other than I like the look of the Piaget more. I have only seen a round basic Piaget in person but have seen an assortment of JLCs. You can't really go wrong with either brand.

5. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought a (non-Rolex) watch from Japan and imported it into the US and got hit with duties? Just curious what to expect; most experiences I saw online from others related to watches below $500 (and this would be above)...

6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

No. I have bought a $2k+ Seiko from Japan and did not get hit with duties. If the shipper uses EMS you should not have any issues. I obviously can't garuntee this, but I have about 3 watches directly from Japan with no issues.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

What is it?

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I've bought a few JDM Seikos from Japanese sellers, ranging from about $500 up to about $2,000 and the only one that ever got hit with duties was my Alpinist SARB017. I think I had to pay about $25 to USPS (I don't recall the exact amount).

9. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

As for personality and prestige, I was quoting Boston Hedonist's language. Please note I put quotation marks around the statement you are quoting. You can his original statement in post number 43151. I responded by saying that statement was a bit of an overstatement. If you are looking to define personality of a watch, relative to that statement perhaps you should ask the original poster.

Regarding value, it was discussed in the context of a similar watches from PP, AP, VC would cost substantially more, and that JLC and Piaget provide high quality products at a less expensive price point. Interesting, that you see anything above a Swatch as means of flattering one's ego and impressing people, it almost makes me wonder why you are here.

At no point did I say anything about JLCs or Piagets being investments. In fact I said JLC and Piaget would both suffer from depreciation (as do most purchases).

I already addressed raw materials when Boston brought up platinum, I said " Also, when dealing with dress watches, you are paying for the workmanship more than the metal..."

As for you not accepting my argument, I'm not surprised. You attributed a statement to me that I did not make, and you brought up issues that have little bearing on what I discussed. No one is here arguing watches are great investments or that the reason a watch costs what it does is because of the cost of gold/platinum. As you have had a problem with me in the past - please do both of us a favor and feel free to ignore my posts.

1 person likes this.
  10. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Dino - I am sorry you took my reply in a way I did not mean it and if I have caused any offence I apologise.

Perhaps I did not word my self properly but while I like watches I see them as a luxury purchase like bespoke shoes or suits which unlike cars do not provide more functionality the more they cost.

11. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Personality: Subjectively, of course. From my own point of view, it would have a lot to do with managing to be somewhat unique and/or distinguishing in design as well as demonstrating a decision to ignore design aesthetics that may even be ubiquitous and proven to sell volumes of units to the mainstream (>>shooting an eye askance to Tudor<<)

Prestige: Also subjectively. In this case I look at a few of factors.
    • What has the watchmaker added to the field of horology?
    • How likely is it that my grandson will be able to send the watch into the original manufacturer for service?
    • Where does the watchmaker "fit" into the context of its industry peers (does it do business with other MFGs? In what manner?)?
    • Is this particular model by this particular watchmaker significant in some way greater than the sum of its components and design aesthetic?

When we're making gratuitous purchases of a superfluous nature, we all must have our criteria. I know some are particularly concerned with lugs. That's great, though less of a deal-breaker for me.

Though I do not agree at all about this remark of flattering egos and impressing friends. This is the wrong place for that line of drivel...

@mimo

They have a pie pan!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

No need to apologize, but its appreciated. I mainly addressed your post because I did not want you to hold me responsible for a statement I did not make. I enjoy discussing watches even when it leads to differences of opinion as we often learn from them. Cheers![​IMG]

13. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

The new beast! 2015 RR SC Limited. I'm going to spoiler the pics so as not to further muck up TWAT, but figured my car friends here might be interested. Cheers!

Another clock:

[​IMG]

In all her glory.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Nice TC :slayer:

15. Dachshund

Sweet ride TC. Something along those lines is on my list when I turn my car this summer.

16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

I'm not a SUV guy but whenever I see a Range Rover, I can see myself driving one. I'd choose one any day of the week over a BMW/Porsche/Audi/Mercedes SUV. Ok, maybe I'd have a hard time choosing between a RR and a Benz G-Class!

Congratulations on the purchase!!

Back to TWAT!

17. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

I fear that TWAT shall forever and always be "mucked up", TC.

But congrats on that awesome Range Rover! :worship2:

And here's a shot of my watch choice for today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Dachshund

I've tested all of those bar the g-Wagen, and it's Rangey every time. Now the g-Wagen - that's a ride - the African dictator's choice.

1 person likes this.
  19. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Any NYC TWATers going to the George Daniels/Roger Smith documentary premiere tonight?

20. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I checked out a few Porsches recently, whereupon I noticed analog clocks in the magnificently appointed dash.

The hands did not line up with the markers.

What does it say about me that this would most likely preclude me from buying one?

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.