1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

This 116618LB with the blue sunburst dial though...

[​IMG]

(No, not the one on the left - that's the one with the matte blue dial. The one on the right)

I call this my "when I retire in Miami and wear ill fitting shorts, a golf shirt, a cap, and socks all the way up to my knees" watch. Kidding aside, this one keeps drawing me back for a look/see, although given what I know of myself - if I really wanted it badly I wouldn't hesitate this much before I kopped.

So, I must not really want it badly. Right. Right??? [​IMG]

2. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Sunburst dial is [insert emoji for giant thumbs up - like this one, :thumbs-up: , but bigger]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  3. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

No worries, @DLJr. All is good :)

4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Overall, not a bad looking world timer. Also world timers have so much going on around the dial that it almost matters very little what the size of the movement is, its not a matter of everything being shifted to the center of the dial.

Montblanc's watch offerings have been discussed several times in the last year or so. Some think its a good value, some of us think its an ok watch, but nothing more impressive than countless other brands available. Also as BostonH said, for those of us who value heritage or innovation...its a brand that has neither. If a friend bought one and was happy with it, I'd say congrats and enjoy. If a friend asked me for a recommendation...MB wouldn't make the list.
    I think very few companies have managed to put a smaller movement into a larger watch case and been successful with it not looking either silly, not looking like the proportions are off, or like they merely wanted to cash in on big watch style but they pinched pennies when it came to the movement.

I rarely trade or sell watches, I tend to acquire. My oldest watch is 20 years old and was purchased new. Many of my watches I wouldn't trade/sell as many mark significant events in my life. I like to think that as much meaning as my watches may have to me, or my wife after I'm gone, that if there are pieces she doesn't want, or that she would rather sell/trade to get herself something else, that she wouldn't have something that is quite difficult to sell or has the value of a lump of coal.

From another perspective consider if someone knowing little about watches asked for my recommendation, I would be sure to discuss resale value, or lack thereof with certain brands. It would be a disservice to a real friend to avoid that topic and then have him/her unknowingly get screwed if they wish to sell or trade.

As for clothing, it hold little to no resale value so, buy what you like as long as its well made, be it from well known brands or smaller more exclusive brands.

With watches, there can definitely be parts availability issues (my friend experienced that with an Eterna he purchased years ago). In addition, as you noted service can also be an issue with less established brands.

Beyond that, and I purchase brands that I like some with stronger resale than others. While my wife doesn't care, I think it would be somewhat selfish to spend significant sums on watches that will essentially have little to no value in the future (should something happen to me and she wishes to sell or trade a few watches that are not her taste or are too large), especially considering its a rather expensive hobby. Just my 2 cents.
    Of those 2 I prefer the starburst dial over the matte blue. Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

For what its worth, I'm probably with the dissenting majority here. Not sure if I'll ever kop a MB myself - my current to-kop list is far too long already - but I do appreciate what they've been doing the past couple of years. And personally if I like the look of the watch and dial, I couldn't care less how much of the space in the case was empty air.

Out of curiosity Dino - what would you recommend at the low end / entry level price point?

6. Meurice

Meurice Well-Known Member

I dont understand the craze about MB watches. They make excellent pens.

2 people like this.
  7. Meurice

8. Meurice

9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I call it the "inevitable Frillyvolous purchase because you wear purple shoes and massive dive watches and don't give a fuck...watch"

Down the rabbit hole you go, my friend...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

Another day, another blossoming tree on my way from kindergarten to work, another rose gold chrono :nodding:

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Do they always make you hairy kids work after kindergarten? Tough where you are.

Great pic. Great watch.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I have a question (design of everything else aside), how is the spacing on the NonServiam JLC above, any different than Mont Blanc below? I assume people will praise the JLC and hate this Mont Blanc but given the same dial, I couldn't tell the difference. Just for conversation, I am not a fan of either as I can't stand the ~4:30 date window.

Now this may be the one Mont Blanc that gets its spacing right but a lot of the time it is all wrong.

[​IMG]

13. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahaha what an awesome image. And description!!!

14. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

Yeah, could do without that date window :) Would have preferred a manual wind movement, too. It's not the perfect chrono. It is however an affordable column wheel chrono from a prestigious maker, with a robust and well tested movement (but not particularly finely decorated, therefore a solid caseback) in a superb rosé gold case that fits my wrist perfectly. That will have to do :satisfied: I sometimes ponder selling a lot of watches and getting a fine chrono from Vacheron or Patek, but I like this JLC (and my other watches) way too much.

In my eyes, both Mont Blanc and JLC handle the spacing well on both these chronos. This perpetual calendar however, feels a little narrow eyed:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

The date window is what ruins the spacing on both for me personally. This disregards everything else about the MB I don't like of course.

16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

FWIW, I like the MB watch posted by @NonServiam 2 posts above! I'm not loving all of MB's watches but this one fits the bill. A couple of ones from Basel this year, too.

17. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Yea that Mont Blanc is now the poster child of small movements in big cases. Your JLC works well with the movement size and the finishing is quite nice in my eyes. I just wanted to defend MB a little on the whole spacing issue that sometimes gets overlooked when other makers do it as well. Now you AP from yesterday is just gorgeous!

18. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

In the MB price range I'd rather have a Nomos, although on my wrist they never do anything for me. If one is talking entry level say under $4K, I'd probably recommend a pre-owned Rolex, Omega, Breitling...depends on the person. If they insisted on something brand new, then maybe Rado, Oris, Concord, Tag. Below a certain range you are limited in what you can get, or what you are getting for your money...but any of those should give someone many years of good use and enjoyment.

I think with chronographs, there is often more leeway, in terms of going to a larger size case, because the dial may have a tachymeter or other markings along the perimeter of the dial. On something like a perpetual calendar (unless it also has a chronograph) you generally will not find these additional markings which can help disguise the use of smaller movement by using more of the dial with additional markings. While some here are ok with using smaller movements in bigger cases, I don't think in most situations the more established companies get a "pass" here. Actually, just the other week, Frills compared 2 VC chronographs each using the same movement but IIRC Frills preferred the smaller original design. I know others have questioned Zenith's use of the El Primero in some of the over 40mm applications. In addition, here and on other forums, I've previously stated my annoyance with VC killing off the 37mm Historiques Chronograph which had a lovely case, classic VC tear drop lugs, rectangular pushers, and a very reasonable MSRP of $17,000 simply to recase the movement and give us the bulkie 42mm Malte Chronograph, which now had IWC flieger style pushers, which looked wrong on a dress chronograph and more importantly so they could really stick it to collectors with a new $33,000 MRSP.

I don't think that every watch that uses a smaller movement in a big case is a bad watch, I just prefer it not be done, and if done, it not be so blatant. MB sadly seems like a chronic offender so perhaps they get the brunt of this. Even if they didn't to me they are pen maker, and I don't really want one of their watches when I could buy a Rolex, JLC, Omega, or other brand for the same money.

They used a similar crown in the mid to late 1990's on the Patek 5015 and its replacement 5054, and then on the 5053.

19. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of the Nomos MINIMATIK?

[​IMG]

20. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.