1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

I misread the post. I thought it was the crystal with the water spots and I am not sure if they can clean those or it is a dial replacement. It is not an easy call to swap out the dial since it's no longer original but I would think it would have to go to an RSC for those parts.

2. cs12

cs12 Member

If it's from 1965 the service centre may not want to just replace bits.

I am sure they could replace parts with modern equivalents but that would devalue the watch.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I suppose technically it depends on what one defines as service vs restoration. To me a service/overhaul is basically opening the watch, disassembling, cleaning, lubricating, reassembling the movement, replacing worn gaskets and reassembling the watch. You already knew the crystal was cracked, so I presume they had your authority to replace that. However, to do more than what I mentioned, I would presume that they would need to contact you with an estimate for the cost of other optional items to be replaced, and or the additional labor required if refinishing.

Its possible that the rust already stained the dial and would not simple wipe away. Its possible that without actually replacing/refinishing the dial and date wheel there was nothing more they could do. Its something only a person who worked on the watch could tell you. However, I've seen lots of older dials that have some water spots here and there, so I think often unless its really bad people just live with it. Refinishing the dial is a delicate job, and it can improve the cosmetics of a watch, but it does lower the value as does replacing the dial. Your third party service center, and even Rolex itself might not have a replacement dial/date wheel for a 50 year old watch. I don't think most companies expected their watches to last that long and to need a stock of parts for items that old. Although, many companies will work on watches regardless of age, most do not guarantee a stock of parts for watches that have been out of production for say 20-30 years or me. Also, vintage dials from manufacturers are a tricky thing these days as they are not allowed to sell dials with tritium (at least in the US), so if they had a dial for your watch it would be a newer one with superluminova.

You may have to search the on line to look for a NOS replacement dial & date wheel if you go that route, or you could get them refinished. Those are your only options other than just living with it the spots. Wishing you luck on whatever you decide.

Even RSC may not have the parts with a watch that is 50 years old. In addition, if the dial had tritium, they can't replace it with a 50 year old tritium dial (at least not in the US). It would be a newer service dial with superluminova. As others pointed out, most options to hurt the originality of the watch and therefore its value, however in its current state its value is also compromised. Which is the most damaging to the watch's value is tough to say.
    I'm not sure how RSC would look at just replacing parts on a watch serviced by someone else. One would have to contact them to find out.

Yes, refinishing the dial or a modern replacement hurts the value...although in its compromised state its value is already hurt. I would find it a difficult position to be in if I were the OP.

4. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

Thanks all, I came to the conclusion that they did the best they could to get it running while retaining originality. I just wanted confirmation.

I will see if I can find a period correct replacement dial and date wheel, but live with the water damage in the meantime. Resale value is not an issue as it is a birth year watch that I will keep. I would like it as clean as possible if I can find a replacement dial and/or date wheel.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

Hope you find them. Can you post a pic?

6. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

+1 - love seeing old-timers. You may learn to love the imperfections and see it as part of the watch's history.

7. cs12

cs12 Member

I am not a 100% sure but its my understanding that as long as Original Rolex parts have been used RSC will work on the watch.

They will take any modifications you have made and return them to factory standard for example if you had a Normal Sub which you had replaced the Black Dial with the Green dial, if you asked RSC to service it they would replace it back to Black Bezel.

I think if your watch is vintage and the value is in the fact it is vintage most people would go independent as there have been cases of Rolex accidentally replacing Vintage parts with new ones.

No offence to the OP but it probably wont affect the value so much on his watch, but can you imagine if at Service the dial was replaced on a Comex or Explorer 2 with the spiderweb cracking how much that would devalue the watch.

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Good morning, gents. My latest, and proudest, acquisition...

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

CMT, that JLC looks superb.

10. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

Here's a picture. You can see the rust on the date wheel. It is interesting that the water spots on the dial are more visible to the naked eye than in this picture. I get the whole "character" thing with vintage watches, but all the rust and water spots do is make me want to kick myself for not taking it off.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. ncc1701d

ncc1701d Well-Known Member

exactly - and doubt it is considered a "pilot watch" and doubt Rolex were targeting pilots.

A GMT / multi time zone model is probably the most a pilot would be after - assuming they even want a "pilot watch". I've never seen anyone use the chronograph on their watch. Ever.

Very rare on high end watches these days, but believe it or not, an alarm function would be handy (but not a deal breaker). What would be great would be a multi time zone watch that the buyer gets to name the cities / airports on the watch as a custom design. It would be a nice touch (I don't go to Vancouver much, so would prefer to have LAX on my watch, or Hong Kong over Singapore).

12. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Yes, they will work on any Rolex as long as it has original Rolex parts and has not been modified (which includes not modifying it to use parts from another Rolex model). I may not have been clear enough. I wasn't saying that they won't service a watch serviced by someone else, I was saying I don't know if they would agree to simply replace the dial and date wheel without servicing it themselves, or if they would insist on servicing it themselves, as anything they work on carries a 2 year warranty. If something wasn't done correctly by the independent guy, they don't want to be blamed if something goes wrong after they open it when part of the problem could be the last guy that worked on it.

13. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I suppose Pan Am was in the waffle business...

4 people like this.
  14. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Lol to all the pilot watch comments...

High end watch companies used to corner the market on features valued in aviation. That all changed with electronic watches as these extra functions can now be had through programming rather than mechanical features. So now high end "pilot watches" are flown mainly by desk jockeys...

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Exactly. Cool as it may be, I can't think of many pilots who'd be using the slide rule function on the bezel of the Breitling Navitimer...

17. Dachshund

Thanks for sharing that - a real beauty. Well done on getting a beautiful birthdate watch. I've got a Rolex Date from my birth year and I love it.

I can see what you mean about the date wheel. Maybe it's only bad on certain numbers and you could swap it out of your rotation on those dates if you have other watches?

The dial doesn't look bad at all although as you say IRL may be more noticeable.

Here's my two cents worth, as a fellow owner of a vintage Rollie. Yes, I would kick myself a bit, but personally I would let it stay as it is, or at most see if Rolex can touch up the date wheel in some way, but certainly not the dial. For me, the fun of the vintage watch, particularly from my birth year, is that I am wearing something that, in total, has been 'alive' for as long as me. If I was to swap out a major visual component of that it would nag at me whenever I looked at it. Certainly with the dial. Maybe less so with the date wheel, but it's still a vital component. So I would just put it down to 'patina' and the watch's history and adventures.

Now, if all you are concerned about is that the movement is as old as you, and you want the rest of the aesthetics to be perfect, then you must do what you need to do. Each to his own.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, and congrats again on a lovely old timepiece.

1 person likes this.
  18. Dachshund

PS here's mine today. I just love these old models. Pepsi next, with luck, and that's a watch that just cries out for a bit of patina. What a ruinous hobby this is...

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. Dachshund

Woh - missed this one earlier - great choice and well done!

Edit - on closer inspection - you might want to do that crown up!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. cs12

cs12 Member

Sorry I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.