1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I find these pics similar and quite intriguing.

New Rolex caliber.
    [​IMG]

New Tudor caliber.
    [​IMG]

New Omega caliber.
    [​IMG]

Obviously the Rolex/Tudor is less controversial.

2. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

I'm pretty pleased Tudor has introduced an in house caliber but not too sure about the current offerings. I would prefer if they put the new movement into the existing line of Black Bay and Ranger.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

When I saw the Tudor last night I thought Omega Cal 8500. Also, teak dial on the yellow rose gold daydate is very AT.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I don't think the new Rolex movements have anything to do with being a response to Omega. If read the latest Hodinkee article on Rolex, it discusses the fact that even some of their calibres are around for a long time they constantly get upgraded and improved, even though it often is not publicized. They give several concrete examples of changes that have been made to movements along the way.

Interesting. I've never liked the YM. I have always seen them as the blingier, less useful version of a Submariner (given that its basically a derivative, without any additional features, and its less water resistant), and I usually dislike watches with rubber straps and rubber bezels. Some how I find this version of the YM, more toned down with the dark/matte finished strap, bezel and dial, and oddly I find it the most appealing YM to date. Still, I wouldn't buy a YM, as I'd rather have a Sub or SD.

I hadn't really noticed that, its certainly an interesting comparison. From the photo the Rolex dial looks like it isn't engraved or doesn't have differences in depth between the squares, while the RO dials are machined and there are differences in depth between the squares and the lines around them.

Interesting, but it starts to look like a corporate gift from BMW (probably even so more if the dial is light blue).

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

I'll take that gift.

1 person likes this.
  6. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

It's probably going to make to those models eventually just like the Pelagos moving away from eta. They might introduce them next year on a slightly revised BB.

7. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Well-Known Member

The colorful Rolex dials make me think of an entry level Orient or something. Not a fan

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

- Blue Pelagos: I like it. A lot. However, I'd like it even more if the dial was a slightly deeper shade of blue. I was tempted by the blue version of the Tudor Heritage Black Bay, but I didn't like the coloured detail on the crown.

- Rolex Yachtmaster in YG with black bezel. I'm normally not a fan of gold "tool" watches, but I like this. Probably because the black bezel works to tone down the gold so that it's not overpowering.

- Oyster Perpetual: A big NO to the coloured, neon-like dots. What the heck was Rolex thinking? Why mess with a great design?

9. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

New Rolex movement looks great.

I think it is an answer to Omega's advancements. The power reserve, something Rolex has never really been an industry leader in, suddenly jumps to 70 hours vs Omega's 60. Either way, a welcome advance. Hopefully they don't keep it only in the top-end stuff.

The day-date dials are quite nice as well.

Gold YM II still is a gold tool watch which I just don't get, plus I've never loved that design anyway.

Globemaster I actually really really like except for the bezel. The connie rotor is friggen genius.

10. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

That's my early winner from this years Basel as well. Might be my first Omega.

11. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Had I not declared this year to be one of Temperance for me, it may well have become my first Omega too!

(Which doesn't prevent me from getting it on January 1, 2016... Still probably my first Omega!)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Well-Known Member

Incoming!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

14. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

Letting this one go...one last pic.

[​IMG]

15. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

16. BostonHedonist

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

18. cunning47

cunning47 Well-Known Member

Beautiful

19. BostonHedonist

I'm really curious about the new "Oysterflex" bracelet. It's interesting to see Rolex embrace the rubber strap look officially. Guess they've really paid attention to the vulcanized rubber aftermarket bracelet fad.

Guess it's time to buy myself one!

20. forex

forex Well-Known Member

I read that it is lined with titanium so probably more durable. I hope that straps can be bought separately at reasonable price, would be cool to switch up to rubber in the hot months.
    I'm torn on the YM, I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.