1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

This today. Unusually (for me) with a suit, but I haven't worn him for a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yes, there was a photo of a Sub that's disappeared. I thought that the dot on the arrow at the top of the bezel (or the "pearl", as ShawnBC called it) was misplaced on the arrow, which is unusual. Then again, perhaps it was just the angle of the photo.

The date window on the Day Date also looks a bit too "square" - it's normally rectangular and if you look at the cyclops, you can see that it's rectangular but that the date window isn't. The font of the date numerals also looks a bit unusual. Then again, perhaps it's just the angle again, as I'm no expert in these things.

3. Vestment Baller

Vestment Baller Member

Guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have spent far too much time of late researching watches and this thread is consistently the first place I check-in, so thanks for the quality information and entertainment.

Love the AP 15400 posted a few pages back.

I am based in Australia, and given current exchange rate, the Euro is becoming relatively better value than pre-owned watch options in the US.

Can anyone recommend a good pre-owned shop in the Eurozone that ships internationally?

Thanks in advance.

4. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

And did they ever make a steel-gold Day Date?

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

There were two fake Submariners in that post, which have now been removed. Both had bezels that looked off and 'white gold' surrounds on the dial that was too high, almost like on a nipple dial. One, as mentioned, also had the off set pearl (not just photo angle), while the other had a crown guard with wrong lines and very obviously fake hands.

Lets see how long the rest of them remain posted...

1 person likes this.
  6. Classic37

Classic37 Member

Tough crowd for the new guy. Here's another. Tell me why its "Fake." Go through every single one of them and tell me why, please. Amuse me. I'm no advertiser and I'm not trying to get away with anything. Just thought I'd share something.
    Also, I took down the other two because I don't need to listen to this all.

[​IMG]

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

No

8. Iyor

Iyor Well-Known Member

I believe Tudor may have. Refinished dial?

9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Refinished and rebranded are pretty far apart...

10. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Just got back from holiday in Mexico, and what was waiting for me on my desk?

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

This is what I most dislike about some fake watch users. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% against fake watches per se (although I could never live with myself owning one), but at least if people could be honest and upfront about it.

I mean, I can certainly understand the appeal of owning a replica of a watch that could particularly love but could never afford (the AP RO 15400, in my case). The thing is, if people ask you about their legitimacy, please be honest, you'll get less hate. To me, that's the difference between the guy who truly love the watch but couldn't justify the real deal and the one who's into deception and trying to be someone he clearly isn't.

For ethic and moral reasons, I've been against fake watches all of my life, but at one point, I almost caved in for a rep AP RO 15400 (2 factories make some pretty decent rep) but then I didn't, because part of the joy of owning a watch is being proud of it (showing it to my friends and family, on FB, wearing the hell out of it, etc.) which can't be done with a replica; I guess the possibility of being called out and feeling guilty about it is just too much to bear.

In the end, I'm not trying to make the apology of fake watches nor condone their use, but at least, if people wearing fake could be upfront and honest about it, it would tickle me less.

12. Classic37

Classic37 Member

that AP is 100% real.

13. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

This...

...Is logically inconsistent with this...

...and you are effectively conceding that you are simply posting counterfeit goods...

...and therefore I don't believe anyone should waste their time, and you certainly don't belong here.

2 people like this.
  14. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Wowza - loving that Coke.[​IMG]

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I was going to call FAKE on the AP Royal Oak but I think Dino posted something a while ago about old AP RO's. While the "screws" or whatever are misaligned, they also have the feature of not flat but sort of convex looking. I think the older RO's had this characteristic. I am by no means a AP expert though.

The only recent FAKE I would call is on BostonHedonist and he needs to send the GMT to me for further investigation. I will not return fakes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  16. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Well-Known Member

I've been looking at watches a lot in the last 12 months, but I am not very good at spotting fakes, even of watches that I am very familiar with. Makes me feel like I'd only buy from a few of the guys online that have the VERY good reputation.

17. Classic37

Classic37 Member

Alright let me put this out there.

I posted a bunch of my dad's watches. I'm a lot younger and I collect with him.

He keeps them all over the house in case somebody tries to rob the house, and some are purposely fake. Those 2 black Subs and the Day Date are the purposely fake ones. I apologize.

Regardless, the remainder are certainly 100% real. I just asked him. You can call me out and I was wrong--but I did believe they were real.

Either way, I was not trying to sell anything or dupe you. I hope you enjoy the rest I post--which are real.

Also, that RO is definitely real. I have another myself (in a different location right now) that I can post a different day as well.

18. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

That should go w/o saying...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  19. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your GMT !!! Looks great! I hope you will get many years of use and enjoyment from it. [​IMG]

I didn't see the pix that "Classic" has taken down, so I won't go into that.

Personally, I dislike fakes, homages, replicas or whatever other names people want to give a fake. I just see them as watches for posers. There are many watches, cars, and others items that I would love to own, but I don't because they are not within my price range. I am happy to enjoy them from a distance and admire them when I have a chance to see them at a store/dealer etc. I don't think buying a fake because I can't afford the real thing is a good excuse for buying a fake. I don't think purchasing a fake would provide me with the true experience of owning the real thing, so it would be a waste of my time and hard earned money. Even if it fooled other people, I would know it was a fake and I would feel like a fake. In addition, many times it took me hard work and saving up to be able to get the watch that I wanted, or it marked a special occasion...so there is something special about finally acquiring these pieces. One can' t have that feeling of accomplishment with a fake.

I generally feel embarrassed for people wearing fakes. Often times its a younger guy trying to impress people...but most times the watches don't fit in with the real lifestyle that they lead. It reminds me a bit of posts where someone "inherits a Potek Filippe Terrabillion" from an uncle, or they found it on a park bench, or got it on ebay for $200", and they post on line trying to find out how much its worth. If your uncle never had any money chances are its not real, most things left on park benches are left there for a reason, and if you got in on ebay without doing your homework you'll be lucky if its worth half of what you paid for it.

In addition, many fake products are produced/marketed by terrorist or organized crime groups, and to purchase such good indirectly supports criminals who will use the funds they collect to damage or injure innocent people. So for the sake of looking like I can own a watch that is beyond my means, I could never justify purchasing a fake. I would gladly own a real Casio, Seiko, Citizen or a real vintage watch that is within my means than a bunch of fake Pateks, APs, Rolex etc.

2 people like this.
  20. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

:eh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.