1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Well-Known Member

To me, the Explorer I and II are not even remotely simillar in design or function. I was always curious as to why they are named as though they are sequential.

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I was recently considering the same watch for the second time zone function and had thought I was not a Rolex guy... until I went with a Rolex. But that's only because I "needed" the rotating GMT bezel and Rolex pretty much invented the GMT watch. If I hadn't gone with the GMT Master, the JLC Hometime Aston Martin would have probably been my pick. It's a fine watch from a reputable watchmaker. Smooth lines, fantastic finish, excellent symmetry and detail. An understated stunner that will be fairly incognito unless someone knows what they're looking at. Really, I think at that level of quality JLC offers about the best value one could hope for in a watch/movement. With JLC you're not paying the same premium for a brand name you might with others. And the watch itself is just gorgeous.

I tried on a Compressor Geographic and thought it a little to bulky and fiddly for my taste, but if you're looking for a bit of sporty heft it might be worth considering.

@aleksandr I like to visit watch counters when it's slow so I don't feel like I'm getting in the way of a potential sale. I tell them I'm considering X type of watch and am just looking around to see what's out there for now. You'll sometimes get an SA that has that somewhat restrained attitude about your not being serious, but for the most part these are people who love to talk watches and have an excuse to play with what's inside the case. Just be polite, have fun with it and if anybody cops an attitude remember that there are plenty of other boutiques where you'll find very gracious service.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Trying the metal band I bought to go with my Ahoi. Stayed with the mesh theme from the original band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer, as I'm in the EU plus interested on the black dial, so I'll have to pass. Good to hear though you're happy with it, it is a very tempting watch.

That's also the part I like about JLC, they still seem to be on a reasonable price level given the amount of in-house goodies in them.

I'm currently trying to find also the Deep Sea Chrono to try on, so I can compare the two a bit. Passed the Compressor already as a bit too sporty, also they start to be above my pre-determined price range. Knowing myself, this probably will flex a bit, though..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  5. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Never tried on a Deep Sea Chrono. But I'm not really much of a fan of Chrono divers. Have you looked at the good old Omega Speedmaster Pro?

6. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

And my eye went straight to the TANK :inlove:. Great collection, Dino! Thanks for posting a family pic.
    Yes! .... excellent combo! Mesh band is a great look on a lot of different divers. And that's one of the better shots I've seen of the Ahoi.

7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

I'd enjoy traffic anytime of the week if I had that AP RO (15400?) to stare at while waiting. Great watch!

I dig the OQ, the Explorer and the AP RO. Lucky guy (although I bet luck has nothing to do with it!)

8. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Ahem... that's another cult classic which does nothing to me. On the current Omega range only the Aqua Terra and De Ville Hour Vision are somewhat interesting.

9. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

This is so great. Looks infinitely better on the metal band.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith! Yes, the CPCP Tank is a keeper!!! I'll have to see if I can get the other family members together for a photo at some point.

Hi ShawnBC, thank you, I'm glad you are digging the OQ. Nice to hear some OQ love exists beyond Rolex forums. And I do consider myself a bit lucky! Cheers! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

RO at lunch.
    [​IMG]

With another big ass fried chicken sandwich.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

@dino: don't forget to include the crazy uncles and distant oddball cousins!

13. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. It took me a little getting used to, but works better for all around wear. I can always switch to the original mesh for more "sporty" environments.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

And my eye was drawn to the GMT :inlove:

15. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Of course....what's a family portrait without the crazy relatives? [​IMG]
    Thanks Wraith! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

CPCP for me please, Dino

1 person likes this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Whoah, if he's giving them away, I'll take the 15202!

And if Zippy's 15300 keeps eating like that, it'll be a 15400 by the summer. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    4 people like this.
  18. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

19. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

20. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Hoy! I want me one of those on my reverso.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.