• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex Sub. nice watch but the only problem is that every schmo and their brother has one.

Ya, your probably right.

Anybody know where I can rid of these quick, before someone sees me with them? LOL

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, your probably right.

Anybody know where I can rid of these quick, before someone sees me with them? LOL

I'll gladly take that "Common"
wink.gif
Red Sub off of your hands, to go with my own common Sub LV.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll gladly take that "Common"
wink.gif
Red Sub off of your hands, to go with my own common Sub LV.

Should I send the very common box and papers that go with the watch as well?

Last edited:

suaviter

Reaction score
Ya, your probably right.

serious LOL. You can lend them this way!! Anniv and red FTW.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dinner plate sized PAM 176 today. The Titanium makes it slightly more palatable because it is not so heavy, but 44mm is just too big for my 7" wrist. If I had it to do over again, I probably would not have purchased this watch.
Could also sell it to an forum mate whom you may or may not have pilfered a #8 viberg service boot from. My bad forgot the spoiler tag where is tifosi with his manual spoiler instructions?

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love it Keith! I have felt the call of my Monster lately as well...

As for the discussion between Nonserviam and Academe:

I love the VC Small Seconds Traditionelle. Lately I have steered away from the Nautilus / RO as my next watch (sorry Dino and Frills :)), and have leaned more and more towards a three-hand dress watch, no date. Maybe it was that article on Hodinkee. Or maybe it was that I am not sure that I want my first "high end" dress watch to be a Genta (which many uninitiated do not understand). If I am going to fork over that much dinero, I think that I want it to be something timeless, reserved, and appropriate for all occasions.

Which led me to the VC. I have always held VC in very high regards, I think their watches are quirky and beautiful. And the movement in the VC is beyond reproach. However, I am not entirely sure how I felt about it on the wrist. It is beautiful, yes, but I am not sure I was completely in love with it. I think that my first impressions may be premature (and in fairness, I saw it wrapped in plastic), but I did not $20,000 love it.

Then I strapped on the FP Journe (Chrono Bleu), and was completely smitten. But who knows whether that will be a fading love? And, as Dino mentioned a while back, the reliability issues are frightening, especially with a brand that is so young. There are many decisions to work through. Fortunately, I have a good deal of time before I will be making any rash decisions!

In general, I have found that I have trended more and more towards smaller and thinner watches. Thin watches are incredibly comfortable, then have a very flattering profile on the wrist, and they are a mechanical marvel. 37-40mm, and under 11mm is just about my sweet spot.

Newcomer, just a quick thought: I know that it's got a bit more than 3 hands (i.e. 3 hands+date function), but what about a Jules Audemars Selfwinding? It has a nicely balanced 39mm case. Even though it's not an ultra-thin, it does have a slim profile (case height of only 9mm), a wonderfully decorated calibre 3120, and is really beautifully finished. The self-winding is probably the most underrated of the Jules Audemars collection, as it tends to get eclipsed by the chronograph and the Extra Thin, but they are beautiful watches. My father has one, and it's really something special. My personal favourite in this range is the 15170OR.OO.A809CR.01; the concentric guilloche "waves" radiating out from the centre of the dial look pretty spectacular:

As you can see from the photo, the dial is ever so slightly curved as are the hands of the watch; a really nice old-world touch.

Beautifully finished and decorated 22K mono bloc rotor:

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like a watch, buy it and wear it and dress better than those you mention. What anyone else does isn't your concern.

+1

^ You're making me want that Sub, Frilly
wink.gif

Hahahaha! Tempted many a time just by going to this darn thread. Glad to return the favor!

Great line-up, Frills. 3 different time zones?

Hahaha guess so! Or more like "OMG let's get that shot before the light fades, who cares about setting the time...!"

I can't believe you posted that fake Patek again frilly
biggrin.gif

I wanted to see if any of my TWAT brethren would catch the fakery and the poser-hood! You didn't disappoint!

So is the Rolex Submariner Normcore?

NORMCORE!!! Guess it is, huh?

Ya, your probably right.

Way too common these days, dddrees. Also, you better get rid of those Edward Green Galways because, well, everyone on SF has them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads