1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Exp II is underrated, especially the white dial version, IMO.

I could see how that would grow on you.

And I REALLY like the newer 42mm model. Big ol' hunk of brushed steel awesomeness.

@dino: ever put yours on a NATO, or any other strap? Just curious....I don't think you're much of a NATO fan, amirite?

2. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Good luck! High quality stuff, not my aesthetic, but haven't heard a bad word uttered about them.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

The new 42 is a nice watch, but I couldn't decide if I liked the orange hand on it. I like the orange hand on the original. However, I sort of felt that the new model was relying a bit on the fame of the original, rather than standing on its own merits. Although, maybe in time I'll get used to it and my feelings will change the next time I'm looking at/shopping for a Rolex.

No, I've never put any of my Rolex watches on a NATO. For sports watches, I'm very much a bracelet kind of guy. I even added the optional steel bracelet to my Pasha as it was delivered on a croc strap with a deployant buckle. I know people like NATOs as they are durable and have some history, but they just don't do anything for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

For me picking a Sub-$30K watch would be similar to purchasing a Sub-$100K car. There are so many great options both new and pre-owned that it would be hard to decide.

That JLC Duometre is sexy though.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

+1 on all of that. Lots of people slamming the 42mm version but I really liked it.

Most strap pics I have seen with EXP II have been on Natos.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

7. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Yeah, it can be hit-or-miss with matching up the NATOs, but I've definitely seen some combos that are pretty sharp.

(For some reason, I can't post any pics right now, so you'll just have to take my word for it).

8. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

How 'bout a Patek 5175R? Calling @no frills...

[​IMG]

Full story on Hodinkee. Of course the bigger question...can you get two?

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

IIRC Frilly already had a look at that, but it didn't quite measure up.

Something about not having enough complications or some such...

10. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

I like the complications, I just don't know why they insist on ruining that watch with that positively hideously disgusting case.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

+1 [​IMG]

What a waste of a good movement. That case is ugly.

1 person likes this.
  12. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

For another cool mil I'm sure they'll polish out the dings and dents in the case.

Rumor has it they'll be offering a boutique-only version in polished stainless for $1,999,000.

1 person likes this.
  13. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Maybe PP should partner up with Zenith and just put the movement in a crystal case (though it does come with its own share of engraving), like so:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You have to wonder how sturdy those lugs are gonna be...

14. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

I know the discussion has moved on since then, but to rewind the clock back a day or two and revisit the issue of gold - I posted the original question but didn't have time yesterday to respond. Thanks all for your thoughts and I agree mostly. Solid yellow gold dress watch on a leather strap - for sure. Rose gold - most of the time yes. That PP Eclipse - no not really.

Now to the point of contention. Specifically, two tone Rolexes. My love / hate affair started with this:

[​IMG]

... which was almost universally panned by the twaterati, mostly for the strange marker at 9 o clock. But I have since moved on.

Anyhow, in the course of my quest for a Pepsi / Coke GMT, I visited quite a number of pre-owned dealers (there is a huge market here for pre-owned Rolexes, ranging from watch only no box no papers to basically brand new complete set), where for some unfathomable reason, my eye kept irresistibly being drawn to a couple of two toned models:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even the two toned Daytonas were kinda nice:

[​IMG]

I suspect I'm in a place right now where I don't really /need/ anything (then again, when do we ever need a luxury watch..), and all my window shopping is just providing unnecessary eye candy and temptation. I should just stay home and quit while I'm ahead. "Ahead" being a state of affairs where money sits in the bank and I don't have to sleep on the sofa.

15. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

This is harder than I thought it would be. Are the viewing angles right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

That two tone GMT has really been growing on me lately. And I wear nothing gold or remotely close.

17. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan. I own an older 16613 and adore it for the robust "starburst" blue dial and bezel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have loved this watch for its blue dial and bezel since I first saw the 16803 in the 80s. I was initially disappointed by the ceramic 116613 replacement when Rolex changed the blue to a more flat, pastel hue, but Rolex has since returned the dial to a blue that closely resembles the classic/original version that I (and others) love.

Good luck whatever the ultimate choice. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I don't even like the two tone bracelet. But I really want one.

Some would see that as a grotesquely ostentatious display of ego and unashamed alpha peacockery. They might even be right. But bloody hell, it is pretty, isn't it?

19. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

I dunno. It's all right, I guess. For me, there are many others to consider before getting a modular chrono with overdesigned lugs. Among them is their simpler Type 21, though it apparently uses the same ETA 2892/Dubois-Depraz 42022 combo that gives me the heebie-jeebies for servicing.

I do find the MSRP on the Type 21/23 a bit ... optimistic. Nothing against Dodane, as they're an independent company that was one of the original suppliers to civil aviation and NATO, but for that kind of money, you'd have to really love the specific watch. Personally, I think the Sinn 103 with the rock-solid Valjoux 7750 is the military-ish pilot's chronograph to beat for both price and design, and I like the purest/simplest acrylic version the best. I respect Sinn as a company, too; they've established themselves as a legitimate and honest watch manufacturer over the past 54 years, even if some (OK, almost all) of their new stuff is a bit on the mall-ninja side.

And yes, the FPJ Chronomètre Bleu is completely :drool:.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I would still take a standard Type XX Aeronavale with its boring movement and unfashionably modest proportions, with a great deal of joy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.