• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG85

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Seems like the watch getting magnetized is the most likely issue. I will post when I get it back if all is well. Hopefully Soon.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me the only winner of all the Rolexes, all things considered, is the new SD: the Cellinis are in a dress watch segment where they'd be an insane choice vs VC etc, and even the delicious Pimpepsi, at that price, is just unbuyable, isn't it? $38k? The list of alternatives is just so long. But the SD is the SD. Bit more than a Sub, bit more watch than the Sub, fair enough, right?

Confirmed. SD is awesome, past and future. And the PimpPepsi is just ridiculous. Rolex can eat a basket of dicks for that one.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This doesn't look like a sports-watch movement to me:

DSC00045.jpg

dontknow.gif
You are right. And they get credit for the square movement (yes?). A little gaudy but there is certainly some effort. Details, please?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems to me the only winner of all the Rolexes, all things considered, is the new SD: the Cellinis are in a dress watch segment where they'd be an insane choice vs VC etc, and even the delicious Pimpepsi, at that price, is just unbuyable, isn't it?  $38k?  The list of alternatives is just so long.  But the SD is the SD.  Bit more than a Sub,  bit more watch than the Sub, fair enough, right?

The new Sea-Dweller is definitely my favourite among the new ones, too.

Although its depth rating is pointless (the deepest dive in history was to less than half the figure), I like that 116600 reverses the trend of adding useless bulk to every single model in the range. It's very encouraging that they returned to more svelte proportions on a few elements compared to the 116610; the opposite seemed inevitable. It would be great to see this design direction continue.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are right. And they get credit for the square movement (yes?). A little gaudy but there is certainly some effort. Details, please?

i dont recall any details, but i remember reading about those prince models when they came out and iirc rolex made the movements all in house.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, it was just to show that they don't only do sports-watch movements... that model has been around for ages (Cellini Prince). Not my cup of tea design-wise, but the quality is there. The Oyster-cased movements are well-finished, too; it's just not decorative finishing.

Confirmed. SD is awesome, past and future. And the PimpPepsi is just ridiculous. Rolex can eat a basket of dicks for that one.

Barring the iced-out versions, the discerning pimp's choice would surely be the yellow gold / green dial one, no? (And for über-pimp credit, slap a ceramic Pepsi insert on that!) I reckon 18K for a travel watch is fine, but steel suits the GMT so much better... or some nice, tough platinum for that matter.
:devil:

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, Nomos is now one of the very few companies that's off Swatch Group's tit, as they've spent the past five years quietly developing their own escapement and hairspring, which will be phased in without price increase. Hairspring manufacture is big-boy stuff; there are only a handful of companies in the world that are capable of it. They're without a doubt one of the good guys in the industry and as a small, independent manufacturer, their achievements are especially noteworthy. I was very pleased to see them mentioned recently by none other than Philippe Dufour as his top choice under $10K.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jhcam8
I bought quite a few watches when I lived in Tampa and went to the local Timezone and Panaristi events, and I never heard of them. I'll do a little checking and see what I can find out.

Edit- they have a Palm Beach phone number so maybe not in Tampa after all?

OK, thanks Flake.

betterman

Reaction score
awesome watch, Betterman. I thought about the POC long and hard but went with the 9300 Speedy instead. The POC still haunts me though even I admit its size is not for the faint of heart..
cheers. Yeah my friend was considering it too, but thought he couldn't 'pull it off'. I'm 6'4 ~100kg so it suits me well

My favorite watch that Omega released was actually the DeVille. I'm not a huge fan of the day counter, but I really like the watch as a whole; just has a lovely look to it. My other complaint is that it looks like it could be slightly smaller. Either way, I'm a fan of where Omega is going.
I also love the DeVille. I want to buy the blue face hour vision to wear at my wedding end of this year

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
The hour vision is a very cool version of the DeVille. RogerP owns one I believe.

Foley

Reaction score
Another Hour Vision fan here. I wore it on the bracelet at first but prefer it on the strap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads