1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

I bought the green subC a few years ago, and bought another yesterday. The magnification on my new one is definitely less but it makes the date window more subtle which I like. Both watches were purchased new by me from an AD.

Edit - I sold the other one a few weeks ago so I can't do side by side but I'm 99% certain.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

So, its February. Have MSRPs skyrocketed yet?

3. in stitches

Also, I dont know much about finance, but this made me lol.

NYT:

WSJ:

4. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

5. Tried and True

I wouldn't even do this with somebody else's watches. :tounge:

6. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts. WG Pepsi is definitely not an option right now. Though I thought I would be set on a Coke bezel, after seeing the WG Pepsi now I'm vaccilating between a Coke and a Pepsi.

I guess I will have to trawl the local pre-owned dealers to see what they have available.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  7. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

Not sure about US prices, but JLC increased the price of the watch I'm looking at by 10% in the European country where my AD is located.

8. Tried and True

So the AD is increasing the price of a watch which was already in his inventory?

9. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I have just noticed that the import of watches into the USA is not only controlled by Rolex.

"Please note that ...... cannot arrange for the delivery of Rolex, Tudor, Corum, Frank Muller and Piaget watches to the United States"

Also

"..... cannot arrange for the delivery of lots containing mother of pearl or ruby into the United States due to import restrictions."

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  10. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Norway, Rolex only increased their prices by 8%. They're absorbing a lot of the shock by reducing their cost in CHF to dealers in this country, so that the price doesn't get prohibitive for shops and clients. Considering that their overhead actually is in Swiss Francs since they don't do any of that outsourcing BS, I'd say that's a pretty generous gesture.

Due to my recent spree, I wouldn't have minded a bigger jump as it would make my stash more valuable, but the thing is... I kinda like all of them — even that goofy Deepsea, which would be fun as a weekend watch and fits my wide wrist pretty well, plus the clasp is sublime — so I might just have to keep the entire pile. The purple-dialled OP is an instant favourite and has had the official sticker-ectomy last night. With my GMT IIs on permanent loan to my dad and one of my brothers, that leaves me with one for each day of the week:

[​IMG]

Please forgive the extremely poor-quality photo. :p

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    6 people like this.
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

That Oysterquartz really is gorgeous.

12. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

That goofy DeepSea is totally worth keeping!

Also, that Kaiju-level glidelock clasp will literally devour any other clasp out there. CHOMP!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Here's a little-known tidbit about the OQ: that is the most expensive movement Rolex has ever produced, according to my watchmaker buddy after his visit to HQ. As Dino has noted, they cost double what a Submariner did at the time of introduction. There's just so much to appreciate about the watch; the bracelet design is unique among all the ones that Rolex has produced, and the bevelled edges give it a subtle bit of pop that nothing else of theirs has. It's an elegant and refined watch, but with substantial presence — and it's magic on the wrist.

Of that whole pile, it's the one I'd likely choose if I needed a single do-anything watch. The 1675 is and will remain my favourite, but Rolex's über-quartz is still relatively unknown and I just love the style. It's also the toughest, most accurate and most anti-magnetic movement they've ever produced, plus it's completely rebuildable. The last one sold in 2007, so parts supply is assured for decades. Seriously, I haven't adjusted the time since the dial swap of two or three months ago, and it's still bang-on. Picking up a watch after a week or something and knowing it's within a second of reference time is kinda nice. Heck, it's worth having to any collector just to set the other Rollices to. I think they're going to start taking off...

:D

Oh, yeah. Dat thang is durrrrrty good.

:slayer:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    3 people like this.
  14. in stitches

Oh wow.

I would imagine that the manufacture would require them to do that so the pricing would be equal across the board for identical models.

15. academe

academe Well-Known Member

I don't think pricing for Rolex or JLC in existing stock has risen in the UK. I checked earlier this week, and prices haven't changed yet.

16. aleksandr

Did you manage to kop before the price increased?

17. aleksandr

Last I spoke with my dealer, she said prices would remain the same for current stock. Price increases would kick in for new stock.

18. Waterloo 360T

Waterloo 360T Well-Known Member

My Rolex AD in Ontario, Canada said Rolex requires them to raise pricing on all in stock models to the new pricing. Double edged sword, more profit but harder sell.
    Apparently Swatch Group watches all went up 5-8%.

19. in stitches

Interesting stuff, aleks and Waterloo.

When is AP raising prices worldwide?

20. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who lives part of the year in the Netherlands and part in Nice, said prices on Rolex had gone up by 10%. He found one dealer who had not yet marked up his inventory, or hadn't completed it so he bought a new 36mm OP at the old price. Not sure which country he was in when he made his purchase.

I've seen some dealers do that. Actually, several years ago my dad and I went into an AD and he looked at a JLC Geographic in white gold. There had been a price increase but this watch was marked with the old price. My dad had purchased several watches at this place. When he asked how much he could have it for they looked at the tag, and said they would have to discount it from the new price. My dad asked why saying its clearly old stock and they paid the old cost for it. They replied, that when they replace it they will have to pay more for the next one coming into stock. My dad said yes, but you will charge the next purchaser more for it. Before leaving my dad told them he would pay X amount for it based on the old price and no more. They said no and my dad left without it.

Three weeks later they called and said he could have it for the discounted price he wanted based on the old MSRP. But by then it was too late and he was able to tell them sorry, he already spent the money on another watch from another dealer...but thanks anyway.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.