1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Amazing, amazing watch.

Nice strap as well - source?

2. SteveH35

SteveH35 Well-Known Member

The shell NATO is from Hodinkee

3. Renalan

Renalan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Taking this picture made me realize I need to clean up the crystal a little. It's a bit beat up but I think it's looking pretty decent for a 42 year old watch.

10 people like this.
  4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a beauty! I love the vintage manual wind Daytonas, particularly the version with screw down pushers.

Have you had it for a long time or is it a recent purchase ? Either way, looks great. Hope to see more pix soon. Cheers!

5. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Ha, I thought they all had them. BTW, the shop I bought mine from called it a Cosmograph. I didn't become aware of the Daytona refernce until seeing it in an ad a few years later. Those were simpler times.......

6. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have an old catalog from the late 1970's where it is called a Rolex Cosmograph. In fact many early ones particularly I believe for markets outside the U.S. didn't say Daytona on the dial . I think by the late 80's very early 90's the Rolex catalogs called it a Cosmograph Daytona.

Earlier Cosmographs just have plunger pushers. I've heard some people have retro fitted earlier versions with screw down pushers and apparently some dealers that were trying to move back stock of older models did that too. Ones that left the factory with screw down pushers all say "Oyster" on the dial... Provided the dial is original.

Would love to see a photo of your manual wind Daytona. Is yours a "Panda" or black dial with white subdial? The manual wind models are the only version where I like the black and white dials equally. Later models I prefer the black dial.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Ill echo the ceramic smudge phenomenon. I noticed it taking pics of the Sub I posted. Odd.

8. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

And I just thought I had dirty fingers.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh, they'll show smudges all right. Sapphire is a dust and fingerprint magnet, too.

A quick wipe will sort it out, but sometimes I forget to do that before taking a photo.

1 person likes this.
  10. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Not to draw the ire of the crowd, but does anyone have an opinion of Montblanc watches from experience?

This dual time is rather attractive, though I don't know much about the quality of Montblanc watches. I'm assuming the movements are somewhat generic...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

^
    Their movements are actually pretty good. Most are originally from Minerva, a former maker of high-grade watches which Montblanc essentially absorbed after Richemont got their evil clutches on them. So I have no issues with the quality; it's the lame-o designs that tend to be the problem.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I'd get the JLC Dual Time over the Montblanc. It's obvious at a glance in most Montblanc's that they are too big for their movement. Look at the placement of the date window on that Montblanc and compare it to the JLC.

2 people like this.
  13. in stitches

A smudge magnet is still a less frustrating phenomenon than a scratch magnet.

3 people like this.
  14. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I have learned to live with both. My watch stays smudge free for about 5min after a wipe down and polished center links have to be some high up Rolex joke.

15. aleksandr

I quite like the Mont Blanc Heritage Spirit line, though as someone said earlier in the thread it looks like it could've come from JLC.

Also:
    [​IMG]

16. in stitches

Im with you half way. I wipe down my crystal anytime I notice a smudge or dust or a water spot, and the bracelet from time to time. Scratches however, I have learned to deal with and not even concern myself with. Its part of why I was not bothered buying my last few watches pre-owned. The desk diving scuffs are going to happen anyways, so why get upset about it. The only time it bothers me is when I am trying to get pics and the DSLR picks up big time on any swirlies and scuffs lol.

17. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be terribly surprising considering Jerome Lambert, former CEO at JLC, is now CEO at Montblanc.

For half the price of a JLC dual time, the new Montblanc Heritage Chronometrie Dual Time doesn't seem like too much of a compromise. Sure the JLC is unquestionably superior in form. But twice as good? Certainly not.

18. aleksandr

The heritage perpetual calendar, also quite nice but showing it's uh, heritage, can be had for a comparative song.

[​IMG]

19. robw

robw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Been wearing this for the last few days. Nothing too unique, just a standard sub date I bought about 17 or 18 years ago. I remember it was between this and a speedmaster moon and I was agonizing over which one to go with until my wife told me if you want a Rolex stop effing around and just get a Rolex. She was absolutely right and I've never looked back and never really wanted the moon after that. I wore this a lot after I got it for a number of years but then as other watches came along this one got less and less wrist time.

Anyways, it's nice to put on a watch you haven't worn for a while and realize that you still love it. Kind of like meeting an old friend.

9 people like this.
  20. in stitches

A great feeling indeed. Sometimes I will put a watch away for months just to have that sensation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.