1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

2. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I'd agree, plus if I was after a dual time in that price range, I'd just pinch pennies, save more, and get the JLC (which I guess really isn't in the same price range unless I group it as watches under $10K, but still).

1 person likes this.
  3. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

4. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Assuming you're talking to me, why? I feel fantastic. :)

Besides, if you think I have contempt for certain elements of the watch industry, they're angels compared to Big Pharma. That shit is bad for you; just eat high-quality food, get off your ass once in a while to do something fun outside, deal with stress before it builds up, and you'll feel fine.

:slayer:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  5. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

If there is a Hell, you can bet that it is peopled largely by the leaders of Big Pharma.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Man, I like your style.

:cheers:

7. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Thankfully no one who comes to this thread works for big Pharma.

2 people like this.
  8. Tried and True

Anybody care to hazzard a guess as to the make of this watch?

[​IMG]

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Presumably people not buying them at full list price.

---

In other news, the condescending, self affirming, know it all, attitude, is strong in here today.

1 person likes this.
  10. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Just another boring picture of my 116520 which I freaking love!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. Tried and True

Only to be bolstered with your arrival.

j/k

2 people like this.
  12. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Don't disagree with you here, but even you have to admit that this looks better than their previous designs.

1 person likes this.
  13. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I'd definitely like to go back to that industry at some point [​IMG].

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Yup - you typically need to provide a valuation. Should make you feel more comfortable taking it out on the streets.

15. pmeis

pmeis Well-Known Member

You sound fun :)

That's funny about ablogowatch, though they spend about half their podcast making fun of watch companies with their silly Swiss accents.

1 person likes this.
  16. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

I quite like reading Hodinkee, although ablogtowatch is just terribad. And that name...

17. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Wait and see how much the wedding costs, it might make your engagement ring seem quite reasonable [​IMG]. Who knows, if you are lucky maybe you will be surprised with a wedding gift. Mrs. Dino surprised me with a Rolex Explorer 2 as a wedding gift. Wishing you luck with your wedding!

Yes, but its generally a stated value, and you pay a premium based on the piece being insured for X amount. Some policies offer the option of a value increase each year to keep up with price increases. However, if you have some rare collectible that is worth far more than you paid, you would probably want an appraisal from someone very knowledgeable, indicating an accurate current value. The type of policy you get may depend on your residence. If you are in an apartment you might get a "rider policy" to go with your renter's insurance policy. If you have a home, a home owners policy typically will only provide you with $1,000-2,000 for replacing jewelry, unless it is specifically listed with them and you are paying an additional premium for the watch/jewelry. You can also get separate policy, I know some people use Chubb or some other company, I think called Jewelers Insurance or something like that. Also, if there are pieces you rarely wear, if you get a safe deposit box at a bank and keep the watch/jewelry there, and have it declared on the policy as in vault you will get a significant discount (the down side is you can't just access or wear those pieces when you feel like it). I forget what the basic rate is but the premiums used to be something like $1.10 for every hundred dollars of insurance you purchase.

I've known a few people that lost a watch/watches due to theft, and not having their watch/watches properly insured really added insult to injury after having their stuff stolen.

Interesting dial color and more importantly I love the clasp with the bas relief crown. I'd like to see the crown in bas relief on more models going forward.

Not sure its a priority, so much as a consideration. For someone that tires of watches quickly and likes to trade/sell them, then it could be an important factor. In addition, if its someone with a modest budget, then it could be an important consideration (especially, if they continually trade 1 watch to get into another one). Its also good to know that a brand doesn't have good resale because if you really like one of their offerings and the price is out of your reach, a LNIB pre-owned at a fraction of the MSRP could put that watch on your wrist.

As long as the buyer is happy with what they are buying that is what is important. I've bought brands that I liked, some have great resale, others not as much, but the key thing was that I liked them and I educated myself enough to know what to expect in terms of value if the watch wasn't a good match for me and I decided to sell/trade it.

1 person likes this.
  18. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Thanks. What do you mean "it's generally a stated value and you pay a premium based on the piece being insured for X amount." Does that mean that you can choose to insure for less or more? The problem is, Rolex gave me an "appraisal" for replacement value. However, my state farm insurance quote on that amount is really high and they said it's because it's over $25k and that it really skyrockets above that. Market value is less than $25k and I'd be okay with insuring it for under. Do other insurers allow you to choose a lower insurance value or do they need an appraisal for the lower value in order to issue one?

I haven't done much research into insurance. I simply asked Rolex for an appraisal during service and then put it on the back burner when State Farm gave me a very high quote. Now I need to revisit it and I figured I'd ask here to start.

19. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I want this clasp on my Explorer.

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

But of course. :)

I hate insurance companies. No matter how you insure your stuff, if something happens, they are going to try and screw you some how.

The most common case is that you get your item appraised for its proper value, and pay your premium based on that. However, every major insurance company buys watches and jewelry at wholesale pricing, hell, I know a place in GA that has a full time staff that is dedicated to providing jewelry for one major insurance company. Thats all they do, all day. As such, if you decide to get a check, they are going to pay you what they would pay to replace the item, not what you paid, or what the value is on a retail level. The other option is that they simply replace the item with an identical one, but again, they are buying it at a highly discounted price.

That being the case, why in the hell are you paying a premium of $X per hundred/thousand of the insured amount, when in reality, in no situation of loss, is that the amount they are going to pay? They should be the ones assessing the value and having you pay your premium based on that, the actual value they are in fact insuring. The same way they can asses value after the fact, they could, and should, do so before the fact. In essence, almost every watch or jewelry item is over insured, and everyone is paying too much on their premiums.

I hate insurance companies more than some of ya'll hate Big Pharma.

/rant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.