1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

2. djh

djh Well-Known Member

You should demand both an engagement and a wedding watch!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

Not an MB fan, but thought this was a step forward for them (not my pic):

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

^ That does look nice. Simple, classic, not too cluttered.

5. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

6. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

It definitely looks better than their previous designs. But if the watch industry is going to stick with 41+mm watches, can ETA/Sellita/Soprod et all start making movements with bigger date rings?

7. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

if you come from a country / culture where its traditional for the groom / groom's family to demand a dowry, then sure. Otherwise it is very bad form.

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Same here. Been a fan of that since day 1.

9. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Ha, it was a joke. Would be nice though ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Do you all insure your watches? If yes, replacement value or market value? And with who?

11. Taylorstav

Taylorstav Well-Known Member

One day old...

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  12. justinzx

justinzx Member

Hi Belligero,

Can I know what dial is that? It's a 36mm Oyster? Thanks!

13. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

Interesting datapoint on the MB Nicholas Rieussec - when they were first released (2010? 2011?) dealers were instructed absolutely no discounts, ever. And this is against the backdrops of dealers discounting 10% or 20% off list price for most brands (including MB) without one even asking, with the possibility of further discounts after some negotiation.

About a month or so ago I was offered the entry level at ~30% off list. Wonder what changed.

1 person likes this.
  14. Belligero

Oui, avec plaisir!

It's the basic steel 116000 Oyster Perpetual, which is the simplest men's model Rolex currently manufactures now that the Air-King is on hiatus. The dial colour is called "White Grape", and it takes on a great variety of tones and colours depending on the lighting and angle. I believe that RFX recently got the blue 3-6-9 dial version, which is also excellent in my opinion.

A big plus for me is that the bracelet centre links and top of lugs are brushed instead of polished. This extra reflective surface is tolerable on the Daytona — I guess — but to be honest, that's my least favourite feature of the 116520 and I would wear it a lot more if they hadn't done that.

Also, you get all the good shit like the Parachrom balance spring in the 3130 movement, which (IMO) is the top mechanical three-hander for reliability, durability and toughness in real-world use. There are no corners cut on this one; it's just less blingy compared to the Datejust. I'll have to do a group photo at some point to illustrate side-by-side with the sports steel models.

The bracelet is genius — I particularly appreciate the bas-relief crown on the sculpted clasp:

[​IMG]
    Image lifted from http://rolexoysterperpetualday-date.blogspot.com because the stickers still haven't come off mine yet.

edited to add better clasp detail photo:
    [​IMG]
    photo credit: Space-Dweller on TRF

And yes, it's a 36 mm case. I consider it to be ideally-sized for a man's wristwatch, and I say this as someone whose wrists are 200 mm in circumference. Some who don't appreciate understatement say it's a bit undersized, but I assume that's just because they're disgruntled due to having small wangs.
    ;)

As the regulars know, I'm a bit of a design fascist, and there's nothing to annoy me on this watch.
    :D
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    3 people like this.
  15. Belligero

16. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

A watch's potential resale value seems to be a priority here and in other WIS enclaves but I wonder what percentage of luxury watch buyers take that into consideration when making a purchase.

17. Belligero

^
    It's extremely rare that I sell a watch once acquired. I just think the resale market is a good indication of how well the design and quality of the watch and the manufacturer's reputation hold up. It's more complicated, of course, but there's a reason that stuff like the last three of four versions (I can't keep track of their trendy redesigns) of IWC's Aquatimers get slaughtered in the secondary market.

The "who cares about resale" line is often repeated by company shills and moderators on sponsored forums. Fine if you get a buddy discount, but not so great if you're one of the impressionable types they like to get hyped up to buy off-brand stuff. Same as other obsessive-nerd-element-heavy dude stuff like cameras and stereos, really.

Obviously, buy and wear what you like, but be savvy to the way that kickbacks, special deals and party invitations do a lot of talking in this industry. Forums, blogs, sites... you'd be amazed what some people will write just for a free hat.

:)

1 person likes this.
  18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I want the grey Oyster. Badly. Please PM me a finance plan, in the currency of your choice.

2 people like this.
  19. Belligero

Put it this way... Hodinkee's a good resource for some things, but do you think they're doing all those photos and words out of mere appreciation for every crap brand that presents at SIHH? It's not just ad revenue from the site that they're pulling in; those guys get some pretty nice hook-ups in NYC.

And Hodinkee has far more quality and integrity than most.

That pudgy, singsongy idiot at ablogtowatch is a complete and utter shill, and a piss-poor writer on top of it. I can't believe that someone with so little talent and skill can apparently make a business out of breathlessly dry-humping every piece-of-shit watch that comes down the pipe from even the dodgiest company. Timezone is essentially the official propaganda wing of the aution houses and whatever brand is being nice to the clique of real-estate alleged-total-assholes that bought it about fifteen years ago. Watchuseek has been an absolute joke for at least five years and is about the least educated foum in existence, and I can't even think of a biggish site other than maybe TZ-UK that isn't full of circle-jerking idiots that don't know shit about shit.

Embarrassingly, rolexforums has one of the highest percentage of clueless knob jockeys out there, although Rolex has absolutely nothing to do with it officially or unofficially. Most other companies are all too happy to get mixed up with these free-propaganda factories, and it works. You'd be amazed at how eager people are to defend their pet company even when it's shown that they're being lied to about manufacturing origin, and how the execs are laughing at them in public. (Search Georges Kern Zurich Minds for the latter.)

The only forum where I feel comfortable expressing my opinion freely, and often the only one that's capable of sustaining a rational discussion, is this one. TWAT is a seriously good resource, and there are some dudes on here who really know their watches and don't just repeat some bullshit they heard from the marketing department.

:teach:

2 people like this.
  20. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.