1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Advice: buy it, it is what you say.

Warning: one watch...hahahahaha *sigh* You are doomed to want many more.

1 person likes this.
  2. academe

academe Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Something like an Omega Aqua Terra would make a good "one-watch"; Rolex Datejust or an Explorer I would make another; perhaps an AP Royal Oak (time & date only) if you have a bigger budget. What's your price range?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

@ frilly: the YG version would look great alongside your other Subs.

You're enough of a baller to rock that.

And FWIW, I like the look of a black perforated strap on the Carrera.

Casual by definition I suppose, but it plays up the racing heritage of that particular Tag in an appealing way IMHO.

4. Nelton

Nelton Well-Known Member

Keith, I hadn't thought of a black perforated strap, I might check them out. Do you know of any good strap sellers?

5. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Frilly, after ridiculing that platinum Daytona when it came out, I'm rather entranced by it, especially after playing around with one. I would simply love to wear it, despite its preposterous nature. And perhaps because of it. The all-gold Sub isn't for me...but it is nevertheless awesome.

I think you need a steel Patek annual calendar chronograph, or something...

6. academe

academe Well-Known Member

I think the colour combination on the platinum Dayton is really quite stunning; the contrast between the warm chocolate brown of the ceramic bezel with the ice coolness of the dial is genius and adds a clean, crisp and modern edge to an otherwise very classically styled watch. It's a perfect example how colour and metal selection can really breathe new life into an existing reference; like the re-fresh of the Patek 5205 when it was released in pink gold.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Prices will go up.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Hmmm… I'm completely the other way on these Rollies @academe. Daytona just looks gimmicky to me and all YG anything is not my bag.

9. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

I, too, love the grey side of the moon...only $500 more MSRP than the black, but with the 'dusty' platinum dial, it's much better looking IMO.

10. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Got to handle the Grey Side at an Omega boutique, that dial! [​IMG]

Think the name is sorta stupid though, but I can get over it lol

1 person likes this.
  11. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Did somebody say Aqua Terra?

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Freda Watch Straps has the Di-Modell Rallye for under $50...I've heard good things.

Or you could try a Hirsch Tiger direct from Hirsch if you like the contrast stitch look-- and again, it's a strap that's been well-received by a lot of WIS, but a bit more expensive.

Nice look, Frank.

Quite somber, but also elegant. Conservative done well, I'd say.

2 people like this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

1. Very exciting!

2. The AT might be that watch, as mentioned earlier, a DJ would be as well.

3. Dont know about a "one watch" but I plan to always keep a Rolex in the stable.

I hope so !

1 person likes this.
  14. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Thank you very kindly.

15. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

I am considering a birth year watch to celebrate my 50th. Opinions on the Tudor 7928 Sub?

This one is listed at $2800.

"As you can see, the watch has been worn a few times. The minute hand is losing some of its insert material. The dial appears to be a Rolex service dial. Case is original. Bezel is missing the little dot in the triangle (at 50 years, you may be missing a little of your luster as well.) Sets, runs and bezels nicely. No moisture gets in. Otherwise, the case is in good shape with dings and knicks. I rate the watch at 80% due to it looking well-used.""

[​IMG]

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

The bezel on this one makes me question its authenticity. That picture makes it look in really good condition relative to the one lug that we can see. Usual older Rolex watches tend to have some discoloring but this has none. I would almost ask something like a Vintage Rolex Forum or something similar about this.

17. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the dial is a replacement. I think I will pass.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Ah my friend, that's the beauty of this place. It is always cool when several of us agree and own a particular watch, but disagreeing and having different collections spices the place up a bit. I don't dislike the Geophysic (although I do dislike its hands). It is more that there is nothing about it that particularly stands out as a reason for me to own one. There are plenty of "Good watches" in the market place. However, for it to be kop-worthy there must be something about a piece that truly makes it stand out to us, puts a smile on our face, and makes us want to look at our wrist just to view it (rather than to actually check the time). This last factor is missing for me.

If I had to own a Geophysic, it would probably be the rose gold. I like the contrast of the dial with the rose color. However, for what it costs there are many other pieces I would rather have. To me, the quintessential JLC to own is a Reverso (and you have one). A runner up would be a nice Master series watch (I liked the old Hometime and 8 day reserve). The Geophysic is nice, but it just can't seem to get me to smile so its not for me. Wishing you luck on your next addition, whether its a Geophysic or something else. Cheers! [​IMG]

Based on my friend's experience with his platinum 8 Day Master Antoine (almost $30K 10 years ago), which some dealers weren't even interested in making an offer to buy, it will probably be available from a desperate seller for a fire sale price once they find some dealers won't offer them a stick of gum for it.

Welcome and good luck with purchasing your first "Good watch." Look out, that first good watch can be a gate way drug to more watches!

Although I have a few watches, I do have "A one watch." Its my 39mm AP Royal Oak Jumbo. Its just an incredibly versatile watch that looks great with jeans or a suit. It gets most of my wrist time. However, I still have dedicated sports watches that I enjoy and dress watches for the dressiest of occasions. However, out of what I have the RO seems to be the watch I have that is the closest to being able to be a one watch for all purposes time piece.

3 people like this.
  19. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

If liquidity is a high priority then stick with Patek Philippe and Rolex.

20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Size perspective of Rolex 114060

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.