1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Which is your engagement watch?

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

B&M Capeland. Ive posted it before. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Moo

When I was in the 8th grade I was walking a block from my school when I looked down and saw a B&M watch. Didn't really know what it was at the time, so I went home and looked it up. Sure enough, it was a ton of money (especially for an 8th grader who wore G Shocks). So, I pick it up and put it on. I wear it to school the next day, and this kid comes up to me, a few years younger than me, and says "hey, that's my watch." I call bullshit, because this kid was a real turd back then, and go about my day. I come home that night and while sitting in my room I hear a phone call. My mom gets on the phone and I hear some strange chatter that was unusual for an evening call. She hangs up and heads straight to my room. She asks me if I found a watch the other day, and I say yes I did. She proceeds to tell me that the mother of the boy who owns that watch called her (she was a client of my mom's, and people in the Russian community sort of all know each other) and explained that her son got that watch as a present from this very strict father, and that if he loses it his father will probably be quite upset. Needless to say, the next day I hand over the watch to the kid and barely get a thank you. Sigh. Some stuff just sticks with you.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    6 people like this.
  4. guccihomme

guccihomme Well-Known Member

Tudor makes nice watches and I knew they used ETA. While researching Tissot a few slammed the movement as not ETA's upper tier movement. Someone said Tudor used the same movement. That's where my interest came from. As much as I can tell the next step up ETA offers is very similar but thinner. I've read many claim +1 sec/day movement housed in Tissot. Only big negative is hand winding wears out bearings requiring repair that's as expensive as Tissot, but problem not present if worn and not hand wound. I assume Rolex upgrades materials in movement for Tudor to not have that issue and Tissot doesn't do much modification with movement.

5. in stitches

Hell of a story, Moo. What a doucher. Did you ever kop a B&M subsequent to that?

1 person likes this.
  6. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Indeed, that bullshit is straight-up unacceptable — daddy woulda done better to gift some damn manners to his boy.

2 people like this.
  7. Belligero

Ok, I decided to go with the Sea-Dweller instead of the OQ for the travelling. Just pedalled my ass over to the train; it's going to be a fun trip and I think it suits. Sláinte!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

So you found the guy's watch and your mom has to force you to give it back? Were you just going to keep (basically steal) it?

I think I know who was the turd

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Whatcha reading there, Belli?

10. Belligero

^
    Re-reading Taleb's brilliant Antifragile.

The span is vast, and he has an ability to make subjects that normally bore me engaging. My one issue with it is that he says that cycling weakens the bone structure, but I'm pretty sure that he doesn't ride the way I do.

The part about architecture and urban design is spot-on. I wonder if it'll come up at the architects' dinner party tomorrow before the Norwegians get too mangled. The Black Swan thing comes up once in a while in engineering conferences. :)

Has anyone read it or his other two big ones (Fooled by Randomness and The Black Swan)?

PS - trains kick ass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    3 people like this.
  11. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Sounds good - hope the font is agreeable ;-)

Train view looks nice (we just got snow here in Denmark a few days ago, going out to ride my bike in it now).

3 people like this.
  12. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I read the black swan. It had good insights but reading Taleb is like listening to a smart asshole at a party. He has interesting things to say but you really can't stand him. At a party, depending on the other guests, the asshole might still be the most interesting person to talk to. Fortunately, there are many insightful books by authors who aren't insufferable so there is no real reason to read Taleb unless that is all your prison library has.

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Did you ride to the train station with your dog on your back?

14. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

I love train travel, especially in your part of the world.

1 person likes this.
  15. Tried and True

I have no idea what you're talking about. :embar:

16. in stitches

I too love train travel. Would really like to train across Europe with the wife some day.

1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Cycling is non load bearing. As a sole means of exercise, it leads to decrease in bone density, especially as one ages. This is why cross training is helpful, i.e. running/lifting.

18. Tried and True

19. Mr. Moo

I remember getting on the night train from Moscow to St. Petersburg. It was a great experience going to sleep in your city, waking up in a new place, having some breakfast, and being on your way.

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

Longest train ride I ever took was Bmore to Chi-town as a kid. We had a blast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.