1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

To be honest, the power reserve isn't really an issue for me.  I tend to wear a watch for a week or a few weeks at a time.  I don't generally put them down for 2 days and pick them up again, so either way the watch would have stopped running unless it was on a winder.  However, maybe you rotate through watches more quickly than I tend to.

Rolex isn't really a good indicator of pricing effects, in terms of going from out sourced movements to in-house.  First they make about 900,000 watches a year compared to VC's roughly 20-25,000 units.  They can sell and recoup their investment much faster than a company like VC or AP.  I imagine Rolex also has greater resources to draw upon.  It should be noted, that according to an article I read some time ago, chronograph movements are among the most complicated and costly to design and that was one of the reasons that many companies, particularly small ones like AP, VC, and until recently PP depended on outside sources for chronograph movements.  

In addition, the Daytonas particularly when powered by outsourced movements were way under priced (although that led to a demand outstripping supply, wait lists lasting years, and watches being flipped for a 50%-100%  profit and some AD's charging a huge premium over list price).  When I first got into seriously looking at Daytonas their MSRP was $3,800.  Relatively speaking a few years later AP's RO chrono was released for $12,500...eventually VC's Overseas chrono came out at around $11,000...Breguet Type XXs and BPs were around $7,500, even Cartier's steel quartz Pasha was $5,000.  When Rolex first released their in-house Daytonas they were $6,000...which again was way under priced.  When I got my first one a gray dealer offered me $11,000 for it.  They told me mine was the first new one they had seen.  For many years Daytonas even once supply evened out a bit a 1st buyer could easily flip a new one and make a $2,000-$2,500 profit.  Once the watches hit $10,000 many flippers disappeared, and supply stabilized especially with the 2008 melt down of the economy.  Oh and it should also be noted, that many people have stated over the years that once Rolex was in complete control of Daytona movement production (and there were no outside limits as to how many movements they could have), production was ramped up...so supplying a greater number of these may have helped keep the overall cost from skyrocketing.   

Maybe I will be wrong about the cost of going to an all in house chronograph movement.  However, keep in mind Rolex's Daytona has traditionally competed against Omega, IWC, Breitling, and again Rolex is large enough to easily deal with the cost of a new in house chrono movement.  AP and VC generally have competed against Patek and Breguet.  Patek didn't offer a chronograph Nautilus until they came out with their own movement....but look at its price...$51,000.  If you want an interesting comparison consider VC vs. Pateks high end chronograph of the past...the Historique Chronograph which listed for $17,000 in YG when production ended vs. the 5070 which used the same but more modified Lemania movement and had a list price of $28,800.  Once sales of the 5070 started to take off...VC (according to my former VC AD was pissed that PPs were selling for so much more).  So what happened...while the 5070 was still in production, VC ended production of the Historique chronograph and replaced it with a 5070 sized, larger cased Malte Chronograph (using the same Lemania movement as before)...but guess what happened...it arrived with an MSRP of around $33,000 to compete with 5070s which were then around $35,000.  If we consider this...and the fact that VC and AP see what PP is getting for a Nautilus Chrono....they may justify moving into the $50K range where Patek is by also having an in house movement.  I guess we will have to wait and see.  

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Great insight and information as always, Dino :happy:

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

They were not accepting any more visitors today. Glad I called...

I went elsewhere and tried on a bunch of stuff... Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay, some Montblancs, a few DJs again... and a 114060.

I made a huge mistake trying on the 114060.

4. Dino944

Thanks Wurger. Have a great weekend!

5. papa kot

papa kot Well-Known Member

I'd take an Ultra-Thin day over any Rolex Friday. Well done.

6. Dino944

[​IMG] Thanks Papa Kot.

7. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

Gold watch broke again, claiming for a replacement through credit card protection

Will update

8. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with that! What did you think?

9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

So when's it arriving?

10. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

I love mine. :)

[​IMG]

I would starve as a photographer.:embar:

2 people like this.
  11. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I really want that tan / sand coloured Seiko 5 military. Cool watches.

12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

When I got one for my son, I found myself quite envious at how great it felt on the wrist. He's kind of grown into it since. It's a hell of a thing for $75-100!

[​IMG]

(And I still love my OM).

1 person likes this.
  13. durdanta2

durdanta2 Active Member

Im guessing RG Day-Date II

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Did someone say ultra-thin?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    13 people like this.
  15. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Nice!

Where did you get the strap from if you don't mind me asking?

16. mafoofan

Camille Fournet.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Sweet, I might be placing an order soon too.

How thin did you go with yours? I tried swapping some of my straps on my Tank but the leather was too thick by the lugs so it was close to impossible to just put any strap on it, custom seems to be the best route to take.

18. mafoofan

The thinnest, with no padding. But my Tank is particularly thin, so you might want your strap a tiny bit thicker.

19. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with the Hirsch Viscount line? Searches of this thread revealed 1 result, so is it not seen as a quality choice for an aftermarket gator strap?

Especially interested in any Viscount vs Camille Fournet comparisons

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Next week.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.