• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next on my list is a 15400
Very nice. I look forward to seeing some pix here eventually. Keep us posted regarding your shopping experience.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 5980s, guys!
Thanks mimo, I get the sentiment. And I agree. Somewhat
smile.gif

But I feel that this also assumes that my collection is carefully curated, consisting only of deliberately chosen grails being kept forever. I wish it were so
shog[1].gif
Some of my timepieces are the result of deliberate research and warm fuzzy feelings. Others are there by coincidence, bartering, impulse or opportunities suddenly presented. Sometimes the warm fuzzy feelings go away. Sometimes they arrive long after the watch was acquired.

The point being that I am open to letting some of the watches no longer at the top go, to finance a piece that intrigues me, even if for the wrong reason. I never look at investment value as such, but I do try to consider present or future rarity or market interest, as I enjoy wearing watches that are not on every wrist.

The problem with the 5980 is of course my 5712, and the crazy price (for a steel chrono). And not to forget: the competition. There are a few interesting watches to chose from in than price bracket, to say the least. But I am not one to fawn over annual og perpetual calendars, and my dress watch quota is more than met by my vintage Pie-pan Constellation and the above MUT Moon. I have most of the vintage and contemporary Rolexes I desire, the rarest ones would not necessarily give me more pleasure than the more commonplace ones that I own.

What would interest me now is a sporty watch with a dressy feel, something a bit blingy, but suitable for casual wear (which is how I dress for work and play). Something that is a little bit indulgent, slightly over the top. Even a bit show-offy. But with real horological merit. Certainly not vulgar. Some of you may remember that I have been lusting for the AP ROC in rose on a strap. The 5980 is quite different of course, but I am wondering whether it could not be just as good
satisfied.gif

Anyway, I am having a hard time choosing pieces for the culling large enough for such a change. Seems like it would have to eat into the part of my collection that really mean somthing to me. So I would say that it's probably not happening. But still a fun exercise
smile.gif
Great post. Its always interesting to see what is going on in the minds of other collectors/watch fans.

I think there is nothing wrong with wanting something a bit blingy/showy. It can be fun to have something so different from more restrained pieces that might be in your collection. I can't say that I find a 5980 blingy/showy. I find it large and a bit clunky, compared to a 5711 or 5712.

Keep us posted on whatever you decide to do.
lurker[1].gif
Good luck and have fun!

^ That MUT Moon is gorgeous!

Early ass morning and a couple of frillyesque shots. Back in suits and back in the Royal Oak!

11947307823_24f26b6805.jpg
Looking sharp! Glad to see the RO getting some wrist time again.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since NS was talking about blingy watches...here is my bling shot of the week. Its a 1994 16528 Daytona in YG with cal 4030 (which used an El Primero as a base movement). It's blingy so I don't wear it often, but it was my Dad's and I really like it. It doesn't look quite so blingy when its not in bright light, and interestingly as gold can oxidize over time (this one has...it has taken on a slightly rosier hue).

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

It was at this moment that TC, looking on, decided to up his game and order the RO.

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
buyers remorse hasn't kicked in, so that is a good thing.

I think I'm going to order a couple straps tonight. anybody have a favorite maker?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That looks great BD, congrats. I don't have a Panerai and haven't bought many straps, so others will no doubt have better resources. One thing I can say though: that watch deserves something more interesting. A while back I tried on a Radiomir, I think it was the 323, that was on the most amazing sueded croc strap. I think they call it the "Jules Verne" strap for some reason. Now that's OEM of course, but as a concept...well...I've never seen such a pimp-tastic and luxurious watch strap. GO do one too, that I saw on a grey-dial Pano Reserve.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soliciting views here on the watch below; I realize people tend to be very kind and considerate here lately, but please don’t hold back on this watch.

Am considering getting a vintage day-date (really triple date) speedmaster (see pic below; not mine obviously). The general consensus among speedy aficionados tends to be that that’s a bad idea; the better watch (and investment) for them would be the ‘original’ manual speedy for historical reasons. Needless to say, therefore, the day-date version also tends to have less appeal in the resale market.

I like it because it’s size (not into oversized watches), auto, the triple date and it has a solid movement (based on valjoux 7751).

However, the dial is a bit busy and non-symmetrical. Are there other reasons not to like it?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what you said without even looking at the watch, you have some reservations. What is the true reason for this particular model? It sounds like you enjoy the Speedy but chose this model due to cost in the end. Don't buy a lesser model when you know you want something else...that only ends with spending more and a lonely hole in your heart that was not filled with your purchase.

Now you asked about our opinions on the watch. I personally feel it is very busy. Are you going to use all of those functions? Maybe strip away functions you won't use the try to find a watch that fits that need/want. Or since you came to TWAT we will talk you into 3 watches well beyond your budget because one watch is never enough. ;)

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strongly dislike that model. I find it busy, and I do not find it very aesthetically pleasing. Also, I have never really understood the concept of a triple date sports watch. In the same vein, I do not really understand the point of the Speedmaster Moonphase. In regards to the latter, why do you need a chronograph / moonphase combination? In regards to the former, why do you need all that information on a sports watch? Since you are opting for vintage, why don't you snag a vintage Speedmaster??

The Speedmaster is such a popular model because it is a modern classic. It has wonderful proportions, a simple and legible dial, and great history. I agree with JB, that we need to know more information. Is it the size of the modern Speedmaster that dissuades you?

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I'm going to order a couple straps tonight. anybody have a favorite maker?

Such a classic. The possibilities are endless. I have bought a bunch of straps from Strap-works, and they have great quality straps and tons of interesting choices. Recently I decided I wanted one single, elegant strap on a deployant clasp that would split duty with the rubber strap. I ended up with this OEM one. If you're interested I'd be happy to pm you the source. The one Mimo mentions sounds pretty badass as well!

10744855185_5f9e8cebe0_z.jpg

10695594284_056e4596e8.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had ABP in Paris make my three panerai straps.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Nuke, wash your mouth out with soap. The Speedy Pro moonphase makes sense because it looks so awesome. Since when did it make sense to spend thousands of dollars on a contraption that tells the time by bending a spring? Stop bringing logic into it!

Tukker, I actually like your reasoning re. the auto movement and the size: never mind what the most sought-after model is; get the one you want to wear. I don't even mind that it's busy - it's so busy that it's unashamedly busy, if you know what I mean. It's "what the hell, put it all in there" busy. Which is kind of fun. What I don't like so much is that lack of balance - I've never liked chronos with all the subdials on one side (preferring the symmetry of the Speedy Pro - with or without moonphase!), and all the numbers look like they've floated off to the top left in a flood. As for the triple date, I don't like those either, being of the mind that something should either be a proper perpetual calendar (or at least annual), or not pretend to be a calendar at all!

What it comes down to , for me, is the love. If this is the one you actually like most, and if it's a fabulous deal, then never mind what everyone else thinks. But if it feels like you're making a compromise, wait for one you love more. That's all.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tukker - Much as Mimo mentioned, if you like the size, the functions, and you are getting a great price...then maybe its the watch for you. While the 7750/7751 are common, they are good solid workhorse movements...so again for the right price maybe its the watch for you. If you are getting it at a good enough price, then maybe future resale value is less of an issue.

If you are considering this watch mostly due to price, and there are other watches you would rather have, then save up and don't settle for less than the watch you really want. Most times a substitute only satisfies a person temporarily and you will still want the watch that you truly desire.

As for the design, as others have said, I find it jumbled and busy. Therefore, its not a watch I would choose. Most chronograph already have a lot going on, and this just looks too cluttered for my taste.

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads