1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The Portuguese is on a burgundy strap.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Pics of the Portuguese, Foo!

3. mafoofan

It's in Schauffhausen for a check-up. :(

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Black or navy strap for the Tank, I think.

5. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

I see that there are some old Speedys lurking around here. Here's mine bought new many moons ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

Ditto.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheWraith

^ Nice to see there's a few of us here ;)

8. mafoofan

For why?

From a purely design-focused perspective, the Panerai design is a Bauhaus triumph. The dial layout is one of the most perfect in all watchdom. The characteristic locking crownguard and large case size are perfectly inline with historical examples and justified by functionality. You cannot say the same about 99% of all other giant watches.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheWraith

I can't speak for Tried and True, but it's not a design that appeals to my personal aesthetic.

10. mafoofan

Fair enough--it is not exactly a compromising design and therefore will be necessarily divisive.

That said, I do find the common criticisms to be misplaced. Yes, the design happens to be fashionable and trendy. However, unlike most fads, there is real substance and merit to it. The need to serve a function came first, then the design, then many decades later, the fashionability.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Not sure if serious.

12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Foo, I'm sure you will end up with either or both of those, and more, but one piece of advice from an inveterate tyre-kicker: try them on. I've been very surprised by how different Panerais feel on the wrist, and I'm sympathetic to the idea that sometimes a massive watch is more wearable than you might think: the 47mm Radiomir 323 felt very easy to live with - if you like the style. Maybe you'll find the same with this one. Personally I would like a second hand (or subdial), but I agree that this is a quintessence of the original Panerai design: big, minimalist and with the famous crown guard. Although I like the Radiomir more.

But the Cartier especially might be a trickier one than it looks: for example, a friend of mine has a big fat Santos. It feels enormous for me. Yet I played around with a Tank Anglaise the other day in an airport, which is just as tall, but sat so much better with me. Case shapes and case backs are just so different in feel. So yeah, knock yourself out and there's no doubt you will go with your personal style and damn the rest - quite right too. But don't spend thousands on something you've never held in your hand, however good the pics are.

2 people like this.
  13. suaviter

suaviter Well-Known Member

Hublot? [​IMG]

Congrats TC - stoked to see the new arrival - and the one that Mrs. TC will be getting shortly .... ha.

14. mafoofan

Absolutely serious. Are you familiar with Panerai history?

This is so reasonable that I am now a little concerned.

All I can say is that I used to wear a Big Pilot, which cannot be much different from the 327, no?

1 person likes this.
  15. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

The 327 will likely fit a bit bigger than the Big Pilot.

Isn't the 327 47mm bigger? Is that with the gigantic crown guard?

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

The point is that the numbers are only part of the story: width and thickness you can assess to some degree from the stats, but that only gives you a simple disc to imagine on your wrist. The height, the shape of the caseback, the length and shape of the lugs, even the way the strap joins, the crown of course (and its monster guard in this case), all make a difference. To my mind, a really big one. Even the relative proportions of dial to bezel, though just aesthetic, can make something feel bigger or smaller when it's on.

I'm not saying this Panny won't work, or the Cartier. But you wouldn't buy a car without driving it, or a suit without a fitting. This is proper money, so make the effort to try it first, that's all. Also, take a couple of pics, including in the mirror from distance: that's made some bigger watches seem a lot more sensible to me - looking better in proportion to all of me than to my wrist alone. Even for that, take a couple of phone shots from different distances, then muse on them over a coffee before you buy. It would be a shame to order a bargain and then find something that feels better for you - it's no kind of bargain if you don't get along.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Panerai dial layout the most perfect...

18. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

panerai is not the most perfect dial layout.. but Foo, you should definitely get the Cartier, I think it would compliment you're style very well!

1 person likes this.
  19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

To be fair that's not what he said.

20. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

This question probably been answered before, was thinking about getting a service done on a Vacheron Constantin which I got 2nd hand some time ago. Got verified by 2 different watch makers before.

but upon send the info to VC

"Following your request, our experts from Vacheron Constantin Product department carefully analyzed the information received about your timepiece. They regretfully informed us that the case and movement numbers combination (xxxxx ) does not exist in our record."

So watches that got sold in the grey market doesn't go into manufacturer's data base?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.