1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

Rocking this one today. 2014 ROO safari. Wasn't so sure about the size/design as I'm more of a slim dress watch person, but it really grew on me

[​IMG]

On a side not, finally completed the "Trinity"!

[​IMG]

2. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Not sure that's a fair or accurate description. If you are suggesting IWC has copied VC, then you are way off the mark based on history. As most people here know, AP created a completely new market of luxury sport watches when the Royal Oak was released in 1972. It didn't catch on immediately as a success, but within a few years we saw others releasing their versions of luxury sports watches: Patek with the Nautilus, VC with the 222, GP with the Laureato, and IWC with the Jumbo Igenieur SL. All of the above were released in the late 1970s. The Ingenieur evolved and became a bit more angular, with sharper edges than the original Jumbo SL, it shrank to around 34mm in the 80's through the early 1990's, and then it grew to its original size and then beyond. The Igenieur has been around in one form or other for more than 3 decades.

During roughy the same period VC struggled with creating a lasting identity for their luxury sports watch. In the late 1970's they released the 222 , then in the 1980's the ugly 333, then the hideous Phideas, and then finally around 1996 the first generation Overseas, and then a few years ago the current 2nd gen Overseas.

I'm not a fan of either current offering, but I find the design of the Ingenieur to be a lot less blingy than the current Overseas. If you believe the 2 watches look similar, then perhaps it's the Overseas borrowing a theme from the Igenieur, as it's been around far longer. Personally, I'd take a VC 222 or an IWC Jumbo Igenieur SL over either of their current sports watch offerings.

3. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I have an ND Sub and the Hulk is next on my list. May be overkill buying two Submariners in a row but I love mine so much and I've had my eyes on the Hulk for quite a while.

So to answer question - no idea but buy one so we can admire it!

4. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

"mimo's" Rolex is everything my Air King is supposed to be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

What is lacking in the Air King?

6. Patrick R

I wouldn't say anything is lacking. The sticks may be a little more refined than the numbers. But the Air-King has been my everyday watch for the past five years and I have zero complaints. I think the new OP is just as good - and I don't think that about many watches.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I personally think I like the Air King better.

1 person likes this.
  8. academe

academe Well-Known Member

Beautiful. All you need now is a Lange!

9. academe

academe Well-Known Member

Reverso today.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Nothing, really, but it is bigger and has more babble on the dial. I do like the Explorer-style dial layout on that Air King also, but think it looks better as white on black.

1 person likes this.
  11. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

I like the new Steel Grey 116000 mimo posted, but find the case shape looks a bit bloated width-wise.

3 people like this.
  12. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Not sold on the double-sticks myself, but it is indeed a very nice, modestly-sized Rolex.

13. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Thank you, HRoi, Due to those ominous clouds, I headed in immediately afterwards.

Magnificent. :slayer:

I always love seeing that piece. I'm on something similar today as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Shut your evil face.

Aaaah...soothing loveliness. That's better.

(Sorry Keith, didn't mean it...entirely.)

15. Patrick R

The Air-King is smaller (34mm). I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

16. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

I have no objections to having more than one Submariner or more than one SeaDweller.

[​IMG]

And though I played around with RubberB straps for the summer, all the beasts are chained back on their original bracelets now - where many would say they rightfully belong. Just switched out yesterday.

[​IMG]

The one day in weeks when it's breaking 90 degrees in NYC and I have to be in a suit. No DSSDs for me today. Went with the slightly less bulky/macho/badass overengineered alternative:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I am not seeing any drop off in badassery there, Batman. [​IMG]

18. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Transcendent as always, frills.

19. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Indeed. 2014 must be another outstanding year at Wayne Enterprises.

frilly never brings it weak.

Also.....LOL'd @ mimo. Watches sometimes inspire such strong sentiments, don't they? :nest:

So if you'll please allow me to comment further, and perhaps re-phrase...I agree that particular lovely Rolex model is a very tempered, judicious size.

I do very much like the *nearly all-brushed look.

The dial choice is quite agreeable, and dare I say .... versatile.

Movement-wise, it would undoubtedly be a reliable companion for a lifetime, and the bracelet also would get my personal approval vs. the jubilee option. (Horses for courses).

But I'm just so darned used to seeing single sticks at 3, 6, and 9 that it might take some getting used to.

How's that?

1 person likes this.
  20. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

Personally I find the double sticks a bit heavy too - over-power the crown a little bit. See for instance this old-timer which I think is nicely in balance. Just my viewpoint. If you love it, get it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.