1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Fun fact I learned today!

When you scratch/ding, and then polish, platinum, no metal is lost. The metal is just being displaced and replaced. Whereas with gold, you are losing a nominal amount of gold each time you polish it, to re-level the surface. Or so I was told by a very reliable source anyways.

1 person likes this.
  2. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Interesting premise.
    I am not sure I would agree, but there may possibly be less removed than gold.
    I have read that gold scratches differently than platinum, and that could contribute to the polishing to be different.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is accurate. Several years ago when I was researching differences between platinum and gold in terms of durability, malleability, purity, and other qualities I saw that same statement about displacement rather than material loss quoted by several sources.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Hi Bkotsko, yes, and no, its my understanding that a nearly immeasurably small amount of metal is lost, so small that essentially no metal is lost.

Gold is much softer, more malleable, and almost delicate (compared to platinum), such that gold does lose a reasonable amount of metal each time its polished. It wouldn't be something noticeable with one or two polishings, but over several years and several polishings the metal loss can be quite significant. I actually saw a really intricate gold wedding band on someone who had worn it for over 30 years and in some places the "Wear and tear" was very significant and there were areas that were much thinner and there were small holes in two areas.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Pretty much what Dino said. Source: materials engineering background.

6. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

This issue was previously touched on by Dino back in November last year in post #26687 in this thread.

7. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

All the more reason to herald the arrival of the Platinum Coke GMT IIc...

1 person likes this.
  8. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

What if this analysis was applicable to dieting, working out and fat loss? That no fat is ever lost, only displaced?

That would suck.

1 person likes this.
  9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Pretty much how I feel....haha

10. Tried and True

Tried and True Well-Known Member

When I began buying watches circa 1975 the Tudor line was priced 25 percent less than Rolex. At that discount I didn't see the point but at 50 percent it begins to make sense. My first Rolex was a Daytona which set me back $500. Followed shortly by a President for $3200.

11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

And to think prices have only risen but fractionally!

12. Dogs Bollocks

Dogs Bollocks Active Member

I am curious which watches right now you guys think have the most upside appreciation potential?

13. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

A couple of wrist shots, as promised. Trying to demonstrate how it can also work with a French cuff, although it needs a more casual jacket.[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

Buy a new rolex sub and not wear it for the next 50-60 years :slayer::slayer:

15. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shots. Looks like I'll stick with Pelagos or the Sub, the Explorer II seems a little too casual for me and I wouldn't mind a watch that is austere.

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I'd note that the Pelagos, like the Explorer, is bigger than the Sub too. That makes it look more casual in my eyes.

Just a thought: how do you feel about the Explorer (1)? No diver-style bezel, but all the same distinctive Rolex style and versatility. Definitely suit-worthy, cheaper than the Sub too, and I think the current 39mm size is the perfect balance of modern, sporty and understated.

17. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

^^ I'd have to agree. The standard Explorer is a lovely balance. I'd get one if I could justify it in my rotation.

18. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Sorry for the OT, but for my car buddies here . . . picked up this badboy yesterday afternoon. Anyone hazard a guess? :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

@TC (Houston) is it a S 63?

20. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I was going to guess a vintage SL, but the leather and everything looks too new and you don't strike me as a vintage car guy. Then I was going to guess a new pimped out G Wagen, which seems to be more in line with what you drive, but I checked the pics online and thats not a G dashboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.