• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

null_zpse894a2cf.jpg
Just picked her back up from repair in SF. Glad to see her back on my wrist.
Deets! Very nice
:) These two have no problems coexisting in my small family of watches, or for that matter, bathing together: Although "the crowns" acknowledge that this sister of theirs is much closer to my heart than others:
That is gorgeous!

NonServiam

Reaction score
IWC Saturday. This watch, for some reason, really puts a smile on my face every time :) Much more so than my 5001, go figure.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hod has pics of the new AP ROO LeBron James. Has anyone been a fan of the sports collaborations ROOs? I think the Messi watch was nicely done but other than that I feel they are too loud.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I've tried on the JLC Deep Sea Vintage Chrono.  I was disappointed and thought it was overpriced.   So given your scenario I'd opt for a Rolex, and put the difference in price toward another watch.    

Hmmm... I had a Submariner and did like it a lot, but was looking for something that had a better finished movement, etc. Subs are workhorses though. Have a Patek 5711 and it is just a bit too refined for a sports watch - just too compromised. I'd rather go with a pure sports watch and a pure dress watch in the end.

Lately been admiring FP Journe's but not the subdial ones, a Chronometre Souvereign

Funny enough the watch I wear most nowadays is my Autodromo Monoposto. Just a fantastic looking watch on the cheap. Will add a pic later.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree; as much as I love seeing Frilly's Pateks and other exotica, it's nice to see more accessible pieces in the real world now and then.

And on that note, remember this piece?

Just sold for USD3.98 million a few hours ago. Nice.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. When I saw the watch a few years back I knew I loved it but I couldn't afford to purchase it. I had looked for it when I was financially stable and it was no longer around. Finally 2 years later after having dinner with my mom we walked in and there she was. I tried it on and a week later I picked it up. Aside from purchasing a house this was my biggest purchase so it means a lot to me and I think it'll be a perfect watch for me for years to come.

Of course now I have a panerai which is more so my fun piece. I have watched and read this thread and enjoyed a lot of the more expensive and luxurious pieces but I thought I might share my piece.

I love this story, justinkapur. Thanks for sharing - and congratulations! That's a major investment right there, and may it bring you much joy every day!

That is gorgeous!

Thanks much!

Hod has pics of the new AP ROO LeBron James. Has anyone been a fan of the sports collaborations ROOs? I think the Messi watch was nicely done but other than that I feel they are too loud.

Not a fan, sorry. There's the "too loud" factor, for sure, but aesthetics and personal tastes aside I feel like AP comes out with limited editions every time one of their watchmakers farts. Which makes the point of "limited editions" kind of moot.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know many WIS have something of a distaste for the AP ROO line... but hell if this ain't my favorite sports watch in the world.

44mm Forged Carbon:
I'm a big fan of AP, but I prefer the RO models that are based on the original design rather than the Offshores. The only Offshore that I really like is the Scuba. I think the forged carbon has some nice details, but overall its not my taste. Still cool to see some photos thanks for sharing.

No appreciation for Rolex although if I ever find an original or interesting one I may actually own one. That has yet to happen. There is a reason they don't have display backs...
If you ever found an original or interesting one? Go vintage, Red Sub, Double Red Sea Dweller, vintage GMT 1675, manual wind Daytona, original orange hand Explorer 2, and if you have really deep pockets go with a Comex Sub or Sea-Dweller, or an Exotic/Newman dial Daytona...maybe one retailed by Cartier with their signature on the dial. You want original by an early Sub or GMT, the those basically set the stage for what diving and GMT watches for decades to come would look like (even for other brands). As for the reason they don't have display backs... Everyone knows they just do a good basic finish, but that is not what their watches are about so who freakin cares. There are far too many watches with average movements, or very nice movements that were carried over from smaller cases and are too F*cking small for their current enlarged 40-44mm cases. I appreciate an exhibition back, but only on certain watches. Beyond that there are tasks for which a Rolex is ideal but that a Patek, AP, VC, Lange, JLC, or other more finely finished watches just are not suited for.

Just picked her back up from repair in SF. Glad to see her back on my wrist.
Looks great, glad everything worked out and hopefully she will get lots of wrist time.

Despite the fact a lot of expensive watches get posted here, I always felt it was just a place to talk about watches in general, regardless of price.
+1

I am a big fan of AP, but their sports watches, and watches limited editions in collaboration with celebrities don't do anything for me. Generally, they start to get a bit too blingy, and as I've said before about AP, Omega, JLC and a few others they do way too many limited editions and after a while there just isn't anything special about them. What is limited about a watch that will appear 6 months from now with different colored strap and hands and will be given a new limited edition name? So while I love AP ROs, I wish AP would stop making goofy celebrity endorsing limited editions. I don't care who they (or any other brand) associate with, I never buy a watch because it has something celebrity association...I only buy the watches I like. I think it may have meant something more to see a celebrity wearing a particular watch, back when celebrities actually bought and chose the watches they wanted decades ago...but watches worn today because of an advertising/sponsorship deal mean nothing to me.
Hmmm... I had a Submariner and did like it a lot, but was looking for something that had a better finished movement, etc. Subs are workhorses though. Have a Patek 5711 and it is just a bit too refined for a sports watch - just too compromised. I'd rather go with a pure sports watch and a pure dress watch in the end.

Lately been admiring FP Journe's but not the subdial ones, a Chronometre Souvereign
I think for a sports watch, it merely depends on what you are going to do with it. Rolex is a good workhorse, but clearly not finished the way Pateks and other high end brands are finished, but its got a different purpose and price point. I'd never wear my RO for certain activities I've used my Explorer 2 for. Also, sometimes for very casual days, I just want a very casual sports watch.

I love that F.P, Journe, but I couldn't stomach the headaches of all the reliability issues that go with them and ridiculous repair costs.

And on that note, remember this piece?

Just sold for USD3.98 million a few hours ago. Nice.
The original is nice watch, but this one sadly is just proof of the age old idea that having money doesn't mean someone has good taste. But when Patek makes a single piece, they can basically do anything and someone will buy it at least for investment purposes.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Sucks to have to follow that awesome Fiddy but this is what I have on today

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love that F.P, Journe, but I couldn't stomach the headaches of all the reliability issues that go with them and ridiculous repair costs. 

That is what keeps me from buying one as well. Journe claims he has sorted it all out and that the first batch was what gave him a bad name, and it is hard to rebuild your rep.

What he should do is put a real bloody warranty on them for repairs for like 5 years at least.

ktown

Reaction score
I'm a small-timer compared to most in this thread but here's my one and only luxury watch. I just had it serviced and re-finished by a local watchmaker. Omega charges over $500 for service and I didn't want to shell out that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads