1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I am of course referring to wear on her golden wristlet. But I do now wonder if that picture is responsible for more than one excitable youngster to be subjecting his wrist to excessive wear, too.

2. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Well-Known Member

Is that really the abbreviation we're using for this thread?

3. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

It has been the abbreviation for this thread for at least 300 pages back. How often do you post here?

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Tsujigiri, you're just wrong about Rolex. All those innovations listed are real. Accept them and move on.

1 person likes this.
  5. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

They also invented tennis, golf and sailing.

OK, that might have been Tampax. Or were they skydiving?

Anyway, something.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

:lol:

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i have said this before, but ill say it again, for me, the best part about rolex is, that you just cant argue with a rolex.

best movement? nope.

best design? nope.

most complicated? nope.

highest level of finishing? nope.

and all the same, it is pretty much the perfect watch.

rolex is king.

haters gone hate.

3 people like this.
  8. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

Eh, where I come from, a "rollucks" (rhymes with bollocks) is a lawnmower. But they did invent the Ninja Blade Cutting System.

[​IMG]

PS: Moving to London tomorrow. Wish me luck. Forecast for the Summer months shows a 100% chance of severe watch and shoe kopping.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Why don't you actually do some of your own research rather than making some blanket statement with little to support what you have said. As for most of their watches using the same basic movement, so f*cking what? Do you know anything about other brands? Why don't you do some research and see how many Pateks use cal 215 or 240 or some variation of it. Perhaps you should consider how many APs use call 3120 or how many will be powered by it in the future. Companies often use the same movements in different watches, or they modify them and put them in other watches. If the so called "Elite brands" do that and its acceptable, why in the world should Rolex reinvent the wheel and put different movements in every watch. No company does that.

Or how about something more complicated like a chronograph. Rolex developed and uses its own in house movement for cal 4130, and chronographs are one of the most difficult movements to design, and the R&D that goes into them is substantial. Cal 4130 is considered one of the best movements and unlike most it has an exceptionally long power reserve of 72 hours. Why don't you do some research and you will see that until recently, most IWC, and many Breitling, Omegas, and countless other brands based their movements on outsourced calibers from ETA or used Valjoux 7750 (or a spin off from it for chronographs). ETA/Valjouxs are solid workhorse movements, but they were common and relatively inexpensive. So if you bought some watches from those other brands you basically got a similar movement that could be found in a competitor or at times in substantially less expensive watches. So some of those other well known prestigious watches at times could be considered a common movement differing just by the cases holding them. Care to do some research on how many high end brands use a F.Piguet 1185...how about several VCs, APs, Breguets, Blancpains, and Cartiers.

Also ever looked closely at AP, most of their watches are based on a forty 42 year old design, the Royal Oak. Its what they are known best for, and there are numerous spin offs from it from perpetual calendars and chronographs, to larger sportier watches such as the Offshore line. Or consider Pateks competitor, the Nautilus, another luxury sports watch that is nearly 40 years old, and has numerous spin offs and variations. Sure Patek makes very complicated watches, but the models most frequently seen in public are the Calatrava (a nearly 80 year old line of dress watches) and the Nautilus. Part of what makes these watches so appealing and retain value is that they don't look dated. You can see an evolution in the various models, but they don't look dated the way a bunch of VC's sports watches such as the 222 (which I like) the 333 (I hate), the Phideas, and the Overseas or several Omega Seamasters of the past do. You can look at VC's sports watches of the 70s, 80s, and 90s and see they were searching for a solid design to stick with but couldn't. So their lineage of sports watches is all over the place, have little in common, and you can tell the decade just by looking at them. Omega's Seamasters also were all over the place with completely different looks from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. It has taken them some time to find a design that is solid and that they are sticking with. Often times when watches look dated, it can reduce the value of a watch, because not everyone wants something that screams 1974. While watches that evolve are seen as "Timeless" (no pun intended) classics.

Your statements make you seem like a Newbie hater. Its ok if Rolex isn't your thing, but at least do your homework before you take a swipe at them. Oh, and in case you think I'm just a Rolex Fan Boy, I also own watches from some of the brands that I mentioned above.

Does a company need to reinvent the wheel for you? What is creative. Breguet invented the tourbillon for a pocket watch in 1801, AP was the first to figure out how to use it in a wrist watch in the 1980s. Was the unoriginal of AP? Why didn't Breguet get it into a wrist watch first. What about all the others that make them today in wrist watches, are they all just copy cats? Then one has to ask, what's the point of even putting it in a wrist watch, since a wrist watch isn't stationary, the issues about gravitational effects making it less accurate are less of an issue than they would have been for pocket watches that sat in a vest pocket all day. So whats the point in being innovative when its not functional, its more or less art today. Considering how few people will own one, compared to the number that will own a Submariner or Datejust isn't it sort of a useless invention, while a Submariner which is less artful and less rare, can be used for many of the most rigorous activities without skipping a beat and therefore as a rugged sports watch is a more useful invention. Is the Breguet Tourbillon in a pocket watch vs. an AP Tourbillon in a wrist watch not unlike early water proof pocket watches v Rolex being one of the first waterproof wrist watches. I think it should be noted that while some pocket watches and wrist watches were available from other companies, Rolex was one of the first to offer it on large scale to the masses on most of their watches. So perhaps that has some value.

Furthermore, since you bring up Omega, which makes some great watches...how creative is it to release their watches on bracelets that look like Rolex Oyster bracelets with polished center links, or their Speedmaster that essentially looks like a Paul Newman Daytona from the 1960s.

Beyond that consider Rolex's GMT Master. It was released in 1954 and is essentially the granddaddy of GMT watches. Most GMT watches we see today have borrowed elements of their design. If you are going to knock one brand for not being creative, take a more in depth look at other brands.

VC was the first brand to make a machines and dies to produce uniform parts so that watches could be more easily repaired due to the uniformity of parts, be it in the movements, or the cases, dials etc. But today everyone does that. There are many things that brands did that were innovative back in the day, which have made it into other watches. Companies borrow ideas and improve upon them. Its stupid to reinvent the wheel for everything when someone has a good basis to use as a platform. Creating things that are different is actually quite easy. Creating something that is an actual improvement is difficult. I think that Rolex and most every good brand have histories that are rich with ideas and innovations, but they also borrow heavily from successful designs be it their own or others. Anything less would be a waste of resources and result in most fine watches being even more insanely expensive than they already are.

You can go on website and get catalogs from Rolex, Cartier, Omega, GP, Brietling, PP, AP, VC, JLC, etc and they will all list their achievements and innovations. Whether they are drastic or small is something that many of us may disagree on, but I really don't think any of the above-mentioned brands are particularly weaker or stronger in terms of achievements. Their focuses are often different, their clients are different, and their philosophies are different and each should be appreciated for what they bring to the public. I think if you truly did research on this issue, you would find Rolex was more innovative than you are willing to give them credit for and other brands can be creative but borrow heavily and may not be as innovative as you think.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    8 people like this.
  10. in stitches

people who are crushing it today: dino.

11. Dino944

[​IMG] Thanks Mr. Chekov. Are you still looking for the nuclear Wessels in Alameda

Actually their subs (including their nuclear ones) weren't that mighty. Its sad and frightening to consider how many of them are at the bottom of the ocean. I highly recommend reading K19 the Widow Maker. The movie with Harrison Ford sucked, but the book is a great read and it really goes on with numerous examples of how we thought we were in a race with them during the "Cold War, " but in reality the were so far behind us they may as well have been living in the dark ages.

12. Dino944

Mah mannn [​IMG]

13. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

1974 was a very good year to be born. But you're right, not everyone appreciates the best of things.

1 person likes this.
  14. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

This classic post from DMB seems apt right about now:

:teach:

Man, I miss that guy's writing.

4 people like this.
  15. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Someone sure got on the wrong side of Dino today, that is some excellent noob bashing, thoroughly enjoyed the read.:)

16. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Things change, and they may even someday be let in on the look and the secret handshake. More DMB:

17. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

:happy: Great write-up Dino!

Happy July 4th my US neighbors!

Wearing some blue, white and red colors to celebrate with you!

[​IMG]

18. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Looks like I have quite a few pages of catching up to do!

Nice wrist shot, Steel.

19. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith!

20. in stitches

Anytime I see Rolex hate, its smacks of jealousy and petty resentment.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.