1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

Frills, any chance you can bring that bad boy around on Thursday for a try on?

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

1. Go Frilly!

2. Daytona > BLNR

I really like the BLNR, but if there were only Rolex in the world, it should probably be a Daytona. Or a Sub or SD second.
    Props simply for the Smokey reference. And for all you kids out there, Smokey Robinson is who Pharrell Williams wishes he was (and also why he's quite good - great choice of inspiration!).

Unspoilered for your delectation:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Yea, me too! I'll PM you my addy. LOL. At least I'm in NJ....

4. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Thanks, my man. And yeah, as tempting and sweet as the BLNR might be right now I would wait for a bit since the Daytona is so new to the stable. I realize I'm just repeating what others have said here, but there's a reason we like sharing our thoughts and discussions here at TWAT.

I'm not that unpredictable, really, 'no?

Count on it! Arriving tomorrow on or before 10:30am EST. Will post pics ASAP.

I'll try to post a more detailed review here on TWAT given the other Rolex dive watches I picked up recently. How does it compare, the small but arguably significant differences in case sizes, design, pricing, etc.

But, as for the Rolex-kopping, it is pretty much within the scope of my collecting parameters. The SubC + DSSD will go to my second daughter. The Hulk + SD4000 will go to my eldest daughter. Guess which one has the Devil-may-care bad a** "I'll jump off with both feet into the abyss as long as Dad's holding his arms out" personality, and which one likes color, art, detail, and emerald-toned toys?

I was planning to do exactly that, my friend.

1 person likes this.
  5. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

I should change my location to "In NYC" for Thursday I suppose. NOMOS is calling.

6. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]You are the man, sir.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

NATO is great for hiking, here on the highest point of the British Isles, Ben Nevis in Scotland (which isn't all that high).

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

LOL, frilly is nothing if not predictable....when he goes on a spending spree....he REALLY GOES on a spending spree! Vicarious enjoyment for us mortals.

Love that pic, Kaplan....as said earlier, I really enjoy seeing these great watches out there being actively worn.

And I know I'm a bit late on the whole eyewear thing, but here's a filtered snap of my Omega / Persol 649s combo today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

It's a blue day.

Regards.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

11. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Nice! Mine's barely left my wrist in the past three weeks; I'm definitely still in the infatuation phase. I've been on vacation the last two weeks so it's been in the water almost every day, too.

I thought it was a bit chunky at first, but I really dig the profile now:

[​IMG]

Extension link is groovy, too:

[​IMG]

The ultimate luxury is not having to stress, and this is a very low-stress watch. I like it, and I think you will too.

:cheers:

2 people like this.
  12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

So... I get a lot of press releases. Just fot this. For you small timers, go down the list. Ther are a few options under $150K (USD)

1 person likes this.
  13. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Dibs on the Paul Newman!

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

It's something of a testament to watch collector madness that one of the cheapest lots (at least in expectation) is the two hundred year-old unique hand-made musical automaton clock!

15. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

YOU REMEMBERED!!! B]Vintage 1945 Jackpot Tourbillon in 18K pink gold with slot machine. Made circa 2007, the very fine and unique wristwatch features a striking mechanism and 18K pink gold Girard-Perregaux deployant clasp. The prestigious watchmaker adopted a revolutionary approach to timekeeping, blending elegance of sophisticated horological complications with the sheer pleasure of gambling to create the first timepiece that combines the tourbillon complication with a slot machine and an automatic alarm – a truly exceptional work of art![/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Lot 200[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222][​IMG] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Estimate: HKD 1,200,000-1,500,000[/COLOR] [/QUOTE] i have always loved this watch. the working slot machine, with, iirc, over 600 different possible outcomes when you pull the little lever, is beyond amazing. i love it so hard.

1 person likes this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Does it start spitting out gears if you win the jackpot?

1 person likes this.
  17. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Looks very nice - rugged.

18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i would hope not !

19. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Interesting about the GP 1945s. The XLs hold their value, but the "historical" size versions seem to depreciate a great deal.

20. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

Frills, Dino, and Keith T (aka Master TWAT :slayer: ) - great pics of your watches and optics. Keith T - your composition was awesome. Lovin' that Omega. Is that new ceramic bezel? The dial is incredibly blue

Dino - great combos, classic All Day ALL the way as usual

Frills - congrats on the new Rolex.. uh.. again!! Seriously awesome trip you've on in the last several weeks. Wear it in the best of health, and can't wait to see pics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.