1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

The Montblanc Meisterstuck Heritage Pulsograph, introduced via SIHH 2014:

[​IMG]

The ref 5170 in yellow gold from Patek, introduced in 2010 (but itself the modern descendant of a long line of chronographs):

[​IMG]

I know what I'd choose...

2 people like this.
  2. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Knew there was something, then Mimo mentioned the eyes...

[​IMG]]

1 person likes this.
  3. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

OMG, at some point the imitation goes well beyond flattery.

Personally I'm waiting for the release of their SS chronograph (3 subdials), a bezel with tachymetric scale, and a Zenith movement.....The Montblanc Talledega.

It will obviously come with the Mollusc case and bracelet.

1 person likes this.
  4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  5. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Well-Known Member

The Tudor Black Bay is becoming sort of a grail for me. Such watch, much bezel

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I love the Black Bay on the cordovan. A very handsome combination!

7. Keith T

Come on guys, it's bash Montblanc day.

Don't be changing the subject.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Ha, seriously, a guy tries to say one nice thing about the company :).

I agree with almost all that has been said though. Poor Montblanc!

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Thanks, Gents.
    I didn't like the quality of the distressed leather on the strap it came on.
    The deployant clasp is very nice, but the leather seemed cheap, and the finish looked sprayed on.
    I wasn't expecting it to be the quality of that on a PP or Lange, but it seemed sub par.
    I almost felt obligated to change it immediately.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

10. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

That strap put the Black Bay in a new light. It look like it was made for it, as opposed to the odd choice it comes with.

About Montblanc: they were able to develop a design language for their writing tools that sells well, but they are dated today. I wonder what made them go into watches. Are they made in Switzerland or Germany? I heard the former, which s also odd as it's a German company and there are great watches coming out of Germany. Everything about this move into watches feels consultant driven.

I'm also a bit frustrated that there are so many new watch companies that are producing dated designs. Onion crowns, Roman indices, bleh. A new manufacture should offer something...new.

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I decided to bring along my Hamilton instead of my GMT for a week long trip to Ohio as it does not get a lot of wrist time anymore. The strap on this watch has be well worn and just fits perfectly on the wrist. The watch has its bumps and scratches but this watch been places my Rolex hasn't. I find the dial a little busy now but that does not affect reading the time or date with a quick glance. It is a great low budget automatic that I fell in love with.

As for Mont Blanc...we have one of their pens. It serves it's writing purposes fine but for some reason my penmanship is still bad.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. suaviter

suaviter Well-Known Member

Lovely Hamilton -- on this note -- how do you guys travel with your watches?

I can't be the only one who brings few nice pieces for a weekend trip away.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I only travel with one watch and it stays on my wrist. Perhaps its my line of work, dealing with insurance issues, disclaimers, and unfortunate events, but I'm not very trusting when it comes to leaving a watch in a hotel safe, or their vault/safe deposit box.

A few months ago a watch-sub-forum of a car forum I frequent, had a post from a guy who left his green crystal Milgauss in his hotel safe only to get back and find it missing. He didn't have a separate policy and his homeowners only covered him for I think $1K so he was out the watch and several thousand dollars. BTW, the hotel said according to the electronic key cards multiple people had been in his room to clean, make the bed, etc so there was no way to tell who could have done it and basically they are sorry but too bad for him.

IMHO, its just easier to avoid the hassel, but YMMV.

1 person likes this.
  14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

+1. I only travel with one watch and it stays on my wrist the entire time. I shower and sleep with it on. Both of which I do not do at home.

15. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I agree, and generally only take the one I am wearing.

16. Dachshund

Dachshund Well-Known Member

I just choose one, usually robust, watch and stick with it. Too much risk otherwise.

On the subject of Mont Blanc, the only one I ever used (my wife's) leaked on my hand. I appreciate this isn't TPAT but here is my Cartier Dandy, which is made of ebony, so has a lovely feel and a grain which the photo doesn't do justice, and which has given me ten years of loyal service so far. And a Reverso to keep it relevant. Anyone else have any nice pen/watch combos handy today?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Keith T

Travel-wise, I usually take one of my Omegas, or if going somewhere beachy, sometimes the Monster....especially if I know I'll be doing active stuff. Really depends on the trip.

And I'm not much of a pen guy, so would you settle for a horrible phone pic[​IMG] of my Daytona and the humble Parker Jotter?

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Dino944

Great combination and photo! I inherited my dad's love of cars and wrist watches, but not his interest in pens. He has lots of them from Mont Blanc, Cartier, Omas, Montegrappa, Namiki etc., and while I appreciate their workmanship and beauty, it just isn't my thing. Besides, I'm sure Mrs. Dino would say the last thing I need is one more hobby that involves collecting things. Again thanks for sharing a cool photo with us.

19. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I used to have a pic of my Omega Speedy Moon Watch with my Fisher AG-7 Space Pen, but now I can't find it. It's a cheapie, but I really like it for how I use it.

20. Dino944

I like the Space pens had one years ago. I still have a a Sensa pen with squishy grip that uses space pen refills, which I bought to take the written portion of the Bar Exam (I understand now its all on a computer and not handwritten essays). At $50 it was the most I ever spent on a pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.