1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I guess you should probably listen to these guys, bk. Looks like I'm alone in my opinion so far, haha. Maybe it shows that I haven't been on an interview since I was 18......

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

That is a good question, and surprisingly one that has not been asked around these parts (although asked ad nauseum in other fora). Personally, I usually wear my MUT Moon on a black strap. It is discreet, it pairs great with a suit, and I would be incredibly shocked if anyone knew what on earth it was. And frankly, if someone did recognize it, they would probably be a watch nerd like myself.

One of my pet peeves is when people say "wear what you want!" As Keith mentioned (aka, the TWAT Master), the goal of an interview is to offend as few people as possible. You may love your new sub no date, but hell, there are more than a few people who will form a negative opinion of you upon seeing that crown. I remember a friend of mine went into an interview wearing his DJ. Long story short, the interviewer was wearing a similar DJ, and said something to the effect of "must be nice owning a Rolex already, it took me half of my career to earn mine." Sure, the interviewer was a jerk. But that is not how you want to start any interview.

3. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

"Know your audience".

- Somebody Smart

And FWIW, I haven't had an interview in a very long time, either.

4. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I'll add my voice to the chorus. Try not to wear anything, watch or anything else, that stands out to the point that it distracts the decision maker from you and your qualifications. I used to do a shit ton of interviews in my former role (mostly entry level analyst or manager, though) and that's the advice I always give. I don't remember anyone ever distinguishing himself by the watch he wore (I did see lots of Rolexes but they don't necessarily stand out - realize that we are all outliers here and most people don't notice watches unless they are huge and gold, or something), but I have a lot of stories about the negative and often hilarious ways that candidates have chosen to "stand out".

Welcome to the ranks. I too am a TWAT master of an entirely different sort

(Sorry guys, I know I've made this bad joak a hundred times before but I can never resist)

1 person likes this.
  5. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

LISTEN to the TWAT MASTER.

6. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

LISTEN to THIS TWAT Master TOO.

7. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

BK, great advice here ^

For me you should be the thing that stands out at interview.

Don't give someone the opportunity to mark you down based on misconceptions or bigoted views.

Then blow em away on your first day!

8. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

LOL @ HRoi. I'm sure your methods are far more intriguing.

All I had to do was lurk around SF for the better part of a decade, eventually contribute some watch pics and discussion, and then garner a few votes in a rather "dubious poal".

Next up: world domination.

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

FWIW, I don't have an interview coming up (nor anytime soon).
    I was merely bringing up the subject.
    It appeared to not have much discussion in this forum.

From my standpoint, I agree many of the comments, especially Keith T.
    "...the goal is to offend no one, appeal to everyone, as best you can..."

Appear relatively conservative, and stand out with your expertise.
    It relates to interviews, business meetings, and many other situations where you are selling yourself or your services.

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Sound advice on the interview front. I wore my GMT but had on a shirt that covered it most of the time. I tend to talk with my hands at times and my shirt cuff at times will get caught but not like I am trying to show my watch and prove myself. But I will admit I judge people on what they wear to interviews (clothes wise)...even if you aren't on SF, you should at least have your shit together.

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

These are the situations where a Nautilus, AP Jumbo or Speedmaster would work nicely. Subtle enough to fly by most, but awesome enough to catch the discerning eye if need be.

R

KeithT - congrats on Masterdom. Well deserved, my man

12. Swede66

Swede66 Well-Known Member

Glad you like it! It is fairly thick at 16 mm. A hassle with quite a few shirts actually :)

13. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

Such a great point and so overlooked.

To be fair, that's also really poor form on the part of interviewer to introduce that sort of awkwardness. Really no different to me than commenting on someone's physique.

I just try to look cleaned up (facial hair, tailored/ironed clothes) and put myself in a good mood beforehand (talk to an old friend, make jokes with someone, listen to a comedy DVD)...makes an enormous difference in how people perceive you if you can enter the room in a positive, relaxed state of mind.

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Some of the stories I alluded to involve interviewees blatantly sexual harassing interviewers on the panel. I don't really blame them tbh, our staffing team has some really good looking women, but Jesus man, you can't even control yourself during an interview of all things.

And alas, no - I myself was never the victim of any harassment :(

17. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

It is poor form, but in this case, it was probably unwise for a law student to wear a Rolex. Regardless, it probably does not convey the right message. The way that I look at it--what you wear is just about the ONLY thing that you can control. And you know what? In a 20-30 minutes interview, the interviewer NEEDS to make snap impressions. There is not enough time to ferret out the details. So judge away, as far as I am concerned.

That is very true in regards to your mental / emotional state. I wish I heeded that advice!

So... This exists...

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/unique...-flawless-diamond-case-back-sothebys-new-york

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Regarding the whole interview thing, just say you inherited it and it reminds you of x (doesn't work with brand new watches), job done.

I think in some situations an expensive watch is a good thing, especially in jobs where you get a performance based salary, it shows that you are willing to work and you are good at it.

But don't listen to me, I became self-employed so I could as I please. :embar:

19. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Just say your previous employer gave it to you to try and make you stay.

2 people like this.
  20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Holy crap. I don't suppose that they'd take a lowball offer? What if I asked for the watch sans the diamond caseback?

Seriously, though. Who owned that watch? Sorta nuts.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.