1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Some personal preferences: Cartier Juste un Clou or Love Bracelet/Cuff. Margiela ID bracelet. Random vintage Navajo sterling cuffs (thin / no stones / minimal engraving). Werkstatt Munchen various sterling silver options. I'm not sure I'd really wear any of these on the same wrist as a watch though.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I was taught that the only proper piece of jewelry a man should wear is a watch (and wedding ring if applicable). That has become my de facto excuse for buying pricey watches with my wife - since she is willing to spend a bit on her jewelry, I should be able to do the same with "mine" :D

2 people like this.
  3. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

+1

4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

The only bracelet I really like is the Cartier Love bracelet. Most others just don't do anything for me. Also, I'm not a fan of guys wearing multiple bracelets. IMHO if you're going to wear one, keep it simple.

5. Dino944

Just wondering why the car/watch photos are considered DB pix, while pix of watches with clothing, shoes, accessories, drinks, fine food etc are considered non-DB pix?

6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

sorry, I think I may have started that with a tongue-in-cheek comment when I posted a pic of my IWC + garage.

for the record I don't think it's douchey per se but there are some horrible DB's on Instagram and other social media that just try to cram as many watches + cars + planes in their shots, and it becomes an exercise in "hey look at how baller I am" instead of watch appreciation. there is somewhat of a fine line

7. Dino944

No worries HRoi, I just wasn't sure if there was something about it that made it less, tasteful than say watches with suits, shoes, food, etc.

Yes, Instagram does have its share of people who are show offs. However, I suppose I've seen that on lots of other social media also.

Have a good evening. [​IMG]

8. TheWraith

We're all show-offs of a sort. Most of us here try to be more subtle about it, which is as it should be, but let's face it, we've all got a bit of the show-off in us ;)

Of course, some have more to show off than others...

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  9. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Is a shot of a SubC in a free shuttle bus a DB shot!!!!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Dino944

I suppose on some level maybe we all have some "Show off" in us. Although I like to think that at least here, we are a group of friends sharing something we know our friends would appreciate, and on the flip side its a bunch of friends sharing in the joy and excitement that a friend of ours has been able to acquire something he really wanted.

2 people like this.
  11. TheWraith

+1

Quite right, of course.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I'm still hunting for one for exactly that reason!

13. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Crap. Frills beat me to it.

I wore my Sub on MUNI today.

[​IMG]

But it gets better. You see, the FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL KID SITTING NEXT TO ME was wearing a vintage Air King with engine turned bezel. I shite you not.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. no frills

^^^ Hahaha awesome Hayward! :)

15. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

True elegance you can see the attention to detail. Congratulations!

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

First "LOL" of the day - thank you, Your Majesty!

Definitely, but you're right: I've just shared a watch worth a couple of hundred dollars. And it was me who made the IWC/Porsche analogy and asked for pics of your Cayman, so this is definitely a matter of sharing things in which we're all interested, and indeed at the request of others. But you're all still show-offs, and I'm happy for you. :)

Nobody asked to see Frilly's shoes, but I'm interested in those and this is a men's style forum after all. I'm rather less in his bodybuilding, to be honest, but we love the whole Frilly package, right?

17. kimmo

kimmo Well-Known Member

Cool. What would be your favorite resource in the interwebs for vintage Omegas? I've been looking these lately with interest, as they are quite affordable but still stylish.

18. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Thanks. Mine was my father's, so I didn't buy it (or feel the need to replace the scuffed up dial - I like it as it is). It seems to me that it depends really what you want to spend and how fussy you are about getting every detail "right": for example, my watch originally would have come on a steel mesh strap with solid ends that fit the case - you can see from the gap between the strap and the case that something different is supposed to fit there. I have seen "new old stock" steel straps that would fit, on eBay. So far I haven't been bothered to get one.

My watch had also been broken at some point in the distant past, and fixed with alien pieces. I had the non-Omega second hand and (acrylic) crystal replaced with Omega parts, and also a new crown. The stamped dial couldn't be repaired, and I didn't want it to be anyway so I left it. What I have, then, is a watch with official but non-original parts, some damage, a strap that doesn't really fit as the original would have, no box, papers or detailed provenance, and a negligible resale value. Which is fine - I have it because it's simple and understated and it was my father's, and later it will be my son's.

For cheap stuff like this, there is plenty on eBay for as little as $2-300: scruffy, incomplete and possibly with unoriginal bits. But at that price, I wouldn't care very much. And although you might get some Frankenstein-style mash ups of different watches, I suppose, I doubt anyone is going to put much energy into faking an old-looking Omega that's only worth $200 anyway. I'd be more worried buying something on eBay that's supposed to be perfect.

And on that note, if you're looking for something a little better - RogerP's beautiful example, for instance - or perhaps something in gold or with a particular reference, then you need a lot more care. On that, I'm not the person to advise, because I'm just not knowledgeable about the business or history of Omega or other watches. Fortunately for you, others here are. I'm sure they will have suggestions. Chrono24 is a site I look to check prices on, and there are plenty of others associated with different internet forums. Who's reliable and who isn't, I'll leave others to suggest.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. no frills

THIS.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.