1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

Got it - thanks. Looks nice but not as nice as the Lange. Will try to find one irl.

2. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

It's not as nice, but it's also no where near the price ($7-8K US). I prefer the JLC Master Geo to the Master Hometime, but it's a different look so I didn't suggest it. I'm not sure what you what your thought process is, what other watches you have, or how comfortable you are spending a certain amount, so ignore the following advice if it doesn't apply. If you are just after one watch, and you like the look and functionality of the Lange Dual Time, save and get that one (or maybe a Patek 5134, though I still prefer the Lange). But if the price makes you uncomfortable, or would prohibit you from having a slightly largely collection (if that is something you would want), I would look at something like the JLC Hometime as an alternative.

3. Winot

Winot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the useful input. I'd like a dual time zone watch and the Lange is the nicest I've seen. At the end of the day I can afford it (with a bit of saving) and so I suspect I will get it - I don't see the point of getting a No. 2 choice where I'm always be going to be thinking 'if only I'd got the Lange'.

My nervousness about price is more of a psychological barrier iykwim. Up until a year or so ago I'd not spent more than GBP 700 on a watch (I've got a Nomos Tetra, a Meistersinger and a 1962 Eternamatic). Then I splurged GBP 4500 on a Radiomir 337 I'd been eyeing for about a year. At the time it felt like a huge step - I couldn't imagine spending that much again any time soon. But the nervousness passed and the baseline was recailbrated. No doubt it will be again.

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

6. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Gotta be LV. With the no-date Sub and the incoming SD, that's going to be a lot of redundancy if you go LN. And yes, the Cyclops is cool. I used to think it was lame, but I've done a 180. Combined with the instant switch at midnight and ability to adjust any time without worrying about damaging the mechanism, I find it's the best big-date system available. Simple, effective, distinctive, and sounds like a leaf shutter on a quality camera.

7. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

8. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

AHAHAHA! Exactly!

[​IMG]
    Thanks, Betelgeuse! A bit more under the radar too (I think)...

Thanks!

Haven't they? Before you know it they will be as expensive as the real thing. [​IMG]

9. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I miss that blog; it was insightful and not completely toothless. Most of the current ones seem to be infomercials. Hodinkee is the best-quality one these days without a doubt and their original content is top-notch, but they don't offer much critique.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Honestly, you may be able to sell that fake PP for almost $100 on Canal St.
    [​IMG]

11. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Thumbs up!!!

12. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I'll take it for $150

1 person likes this.
  13. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Nuke!

(And Frilly, get both, it's only a matter of time...and you have shoes to match the LV)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  14. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Thanks Mimo! Gosh, was over on TPP this morning, for my daily pre-work surf, and saw some vintage Rollies. I really want a 1675.

[​IMG]

And the bakelite version (I think):

[​IMG]

Some other pretties...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

You're a Texas lawyer now, boy!

Surely...this?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

The Lange is lovely.

If you are open to other options, specifically JLC, I'd also suggest having a look at the Reverso Duo in whichever size suits you best. I tried the Grande version in the Bond St. boutique in London this week in both stainless and red gold and it's a really classy piece. There's a tactile thrill in flipping over the entire mechanism to reveal the second time zone and it gives you two distinct looks (white face and black face) in one watch. It's about $11,000.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Haha! Although it is pretty sweet, that may be a little out of my price range. Plus, I would rather have a Lange at that point :D. Great minds think alike...

I saw some pics of that GMT on watch anish... but I seriously doubt it looks so subdued IRL.

[​IMG]

18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

That guy should take a couple of links out, but maybe he feels he wouldn't be getting his money's worth. :D

19. J3ff

J3ff Member

Decided to go with black croc with the vintage LeCoultre.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

@Newcomer Bob's Watches, which I heard is a reputable online Rolex guy, has a boxes and papers 5513 Sub for $5,300. Seems a little low so it may have been polished or something but it looks fantastic. Has a nice creamy color to the hands and markers and the hands haven't corroded which happens sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.