1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i like the anthracite dial better as well, but i do not love a rubber strap there. for me, past a certain price point i feel its gotta be croc/gator or gold/plat/steel. i just dont love a rubber strap on a 5 figure watch. call me a whore.

2. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

Just to be completely clear, I'm really looking at the Overseas 2 Automatic. The boutique only had the Dual Time and Chrono's in, so I tried on the dual time. If this was just a fun discussion for the sake of discussion and not advice, then carry on, but I just wanted to clarify.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I agree completely on almost all watches. However, for me the bracelet of the Overseas is just too much. I find it both gaudy and too much brand advertising. So for those reasons, if I were going to choose an Overseas it would be a model on a strap (which could be croc/gator or rubber). While a rubber strap is far from my first choice on any watch, on this one it would still make the watch suitable for wearing in a pool ...while croc/gator not so much.

4. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

A bit late to the game here, but congratulations on this one my man!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. in stitches

i agree! i do not love the OS bracelet either. tbh, i dont like a lot of bracelets outside of rolex and the RO. in this case i guess the OS needs a strap, and if you must go swimming, leave it in your room or bring a different watch lol.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

+1! That is an incredibly nice looking strap.

It gives off a Casa Fagliano vibe, I am really digging it. A great way of dressing down the Reverso a little bit.

7. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the good press, guys! Newcomer, I originally contacted George at Cheergiant asking about a Fagliano-style strap and figured I'd give it a shot when he'd said that he had made a few. I am very happy with the outcome, the leather is nicely supple and it's already very comfortable after only one day's wear.

[​IMG]

:D

1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Unquestionably. But I'm sure you knew I'd say that!

I know! And the Corthays are exquisite, though I fear a bit narrow for me and I don't like to size up - it makes the toes look unattached after a while.

I've been dreaming of the Overseas for ages, and any empirical analysis aside, I somehow find it more lovable and friendly than the RO - at least in 41mm chrono form. I actually think the white dual time looks fabulous in your pic, as did the grey I tried in person. But I think a rubber strap is beneath a VC: this is a lounge sports watch. For ocean liners, yacht clubs and Formula 1 VIP areas. I like it just fine on that bracelet. "Oh, that bracelet!", indeed. Blue chrono for me.

That could be the best Reverso dress-down in this thread. I love how it looks well-finished and hand-made at the same time. Like a great pair of shoes. Good job!

9. DLJr

DLJr Well-Known Member

If I do decide on an Overseas, it will see less sport lounging action and more Frills Nautilus type action like swimming and hopping over walls for your children. I like the fit, finish, and feel of the bracelet on the Overseas and it feels like it can handle most situations I find myself in on any given week day or weekend. I also really did not find the bracelet to be blingy at all. The thing that struck me as slightly blingy was the bezel, but I enjoyed how it played off the brushed steel of the case. And for the "look at me, I'm wearing a Maltese cross on my wrist" factor, I get the principle and why it's an issue in this thread, but in my life the bracelet will draw far less attention than a crown on the dial would for me on a daily basis (which is the other watch I'm considering instead of an Overseas, the new SD).

The dual time is still being considered, but more as a this would check two boxes on my list. If they got rid of the text on the dial, I'd probably prefer the anthracite version, but I like the textured dial as it makes the Automatic/Antimagnetic a little less obvious. We'll see what happens, I'm still in the early stages of saving for my next purchase and the next generation of the Overseas may be out by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

I've just bought an 18ct gold watch on a crocodile strap with a Chopard movement- I hope it gets a better reception than my Technomarine did!:)

1 person likes this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Chopard makes some very nice watches. Most important thing, where are the photos? Lets see it!

12. Hirsh

Hirsh Well-Known Member

No pics until next week as I only ordered it today..:)

13. in stitches

is it a chopard watch or just a chopard movement? your post was unclear.

14. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

That is just super cool! A quick review would be welcome, as I am looking for a affordable tooly watch a la IWC XV(I), and this seems to tick a lot of boxes :)

15. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

183 with a suit this evening

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  16. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

WHORE!

Come on, I'm the first to jump on that?! Y'all are gettin' slow...

2 people like this.
  17. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Nice combo, Cleav.

1 person likes this.
  18. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

19. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith T, conscious of wearing the Pam with a suit but then wt...

20. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Hope you don't mind if I offer my two bits. I've spent some quality time with a 556 that I picked up in Frankfurt some years back for a friend (back when there was just the version they now call the "I") and I think it's as perfected of a watch as it gets for the money. The size is ideal, the optional bracelet is quite good, it suits just about any strap, the dial has a gorgeous deeply lacquered finish, and the whole package has the distinct vibe of understated quality. They were using the top-grade version of the solid 2824 movement last time I checked, too.

Simple is more difficult than complicated, and I don't see any design flaws on this. OK, I'd prefer a steel back to a display one, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that point. The hands, dial and case are just right together. The satin case finish looks great and can be touched up easily, unlike bead-blasted models such as my 356 (which I still :inlove: after six years). It has the do-anything nature of a classic 36 mm Datejust without being a mere facsimile; there's a distinct identity to the watch.

I prefer this model to their more gimmicky stuff that seems to be designed for mall ninjas, since I think Sinn's a no-BS company at the core. I honestly can't think of a better alternative at the 556's very-reasonable cost if someone's looking for a simple, rugged and versatile watch that's easily serviceable and not going to look dated down the road.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.