1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peezie

peezie Well-Known Member

That hairy bear is choking

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

3. luvmalik

luvmalik Well-Known Member

Ignore

4. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

Beautiful model...compliments. Even the combination of the colors I really like.

1 person likes this.
  5. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

It's perfect. Congratulations! Wear it in good health.
    I know you've been given ABP and Camille Fournet as valid strapmakers, and they both produce a first-rate product. Here are a few more links to inspect for strap options: Cheergiant cheergiant@gmail.com http://s351.photobucket.com/user/Ch...es new custom straps Cheergiant?sort=3&page=1 Cheergiant (George) is making me a "Case Fagliano look" strap in 19/15 for my Reversos. In our talks, George discounted the price from $180 to $130 which was inexpensive enough for me to take a chance. I don't have it yet, and don't know how much I expect at that price point, but I'll post some shots when it comes in. --- Combat Straps aaronpim@gmail.com http://combat-straps.com Aaron made me a funky orange toad strap for the Duo for dress-down options: [​IMG] Sadly I have yet to wear it as it's a bit too funky for me, and I always choose a less-dressy watch rather than dress down the Reverso. Still, Combat makes a quality product and I'll likely use him for a Panerai strap in the future. --- Watchacc peter.watchacc@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/pages/Watchacc-Watch-Accessories-Page/202634479808387 I highly recommend Peter. I sourced a dark blue 19/15 Reverso strap from him for my Father-in-Law's classic-case Reverso, and I liked it so much that I almost slimed out and kept it for myself after test-fitting it on the moonphase: [​IMG] [​IMG] The above ran less than $200, had OEM fit, feel, and finishing, and I'll likely be returning to Peter when I need new straps for the Reversos. I hope everyone had a great week and is poised for an even better weekend!

3 people like this.
  6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

well PM me if you need someone to break it in for you! :p I think it looks fantastically funky and obviously a beautiful watch as well.

7. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

So I had an awesome time last night. Pierre Corthay - who makes some of my favorite shoes - is in town and is holding a trunk show at Leffot, but I was busy all day yesterday and today so I could only meet up for dinner. Well, after dinner Steven Taffel opened up the store because there were just too many goodies to be seen.

But this is TWAT, so I won't focus on the mind bendingly awesome shoes. Let's get on with some of the watches people were wearing.

There's that Genta cousin of my Nautilus:

[​IMG]

There's that all gold Rolex Daytona:

[​IMG]

There's this watch made by this F.P. Journe character. He may have been mentioned once or twice in this thread:

[​IMG]

And then there's me and Pierre, holding up a boot made of orange croc. No, I'm not having this model made. The one I'm having made... will be announced as an "incoming" a few months from now.

Also, Pierre is not grabbing me close to his body in an overly affectionate way in this picture. I think this might just be the effect of wine over dinner.

[​IMG]

Jokes aside, Pierre is an awesome guy and Steven Taffel did us right by opening up the store at 10:30pm so that we could explore the wonders of Maison Corthay.

6 people like this.
  8. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Awesome Frills :slayer:

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Frills always provides!

10. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Ridiculously cool no frills!

Heh. Thanks. I really need to just buck up and wear it out one of these days. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Why does it always seem Frilly is out having all the fun while I'm like, stuck at a trade show with a bunch of stiffs?

Just. Not. Fair.

Also, CMT1 that was a very helpful post regarding strap options. Agreed, that Reverso Duo looks ...interesting ...somewhat like an ostrich strap, but with extra POP.

I'm also not a big orange guy myself, but that's certainly a great watch and a distinctive look.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    2 people like this.
  12. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Those are great strap ideas, CMT. Now I need to find a 19mm strap, of all things, for my GS.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Sounds like there was a lot of watch and shoe fun happening that evening! Thanks for sharing some pix!

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

We need more shots of this!

1 person likes this.
  16. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Long discontinued 170. Tritium dial has a nice patina but still has good lume in the dark.

The titanium case and mostly Ti bracelet wears much, much lighter than the all steel 236 I used to have.

4 people like this.
  17. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Very cool pics Frills! I really enjoyed that. I would love to see more pictures if you happen to have any. I have always been a fan of Corthay's work.

18. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed, Nuke. Pierre and his work are awesome IMHO. Few more pics here.

After dinner it was raining so Pierre ducked under my umbrella...

[​IMG]

Oh, I guess you actually wanted to see more of the shoes haha. Okay. Here's a blue Arca that we were mulling. Pierre is doing Blue Steel in this pic. My features are kind of blurry here, but rest assured I was doing Magnum.

[​IMG]

Triple Arca threat! Pierre is wearing the brown, I'm wearing the burgundy, and another Corthay/Leffot client was wearing the blue.

[​IMG]

Yes, not just for display - note the raindrops haha.

Speaking of display, here are my Arcas when I first got them. They are "burgundy" - but Corthay's out of this world patina is called "lie de vin" (the color of red wine) for a reason. It really looks like the blend of fine red wine being swirled - that crazy mix of burgundy and black mixing into each other.

[​IMG]

What about a close-up of those Chelsea boots made of orange croco? Belongs to Insta user @randybrands:

[​IMG]

Just so this isn't all about shoes, here's a shot of me wearing my Exp I right before I worked out. I asked the mirror, mirror on the gym wall if I was more muscular than Chris Evans in Captain America, and this was its response...

[​IMG]

Then I had pizza for lunch, with lots of fresh garlic:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

And then you came here....thank goodness you weren't wearing the platinum queen as well or you would have broken the internet.

20. bings

bings Well-Known Member

just browsing and caught this post. i was in an LV store last week on Bloor St. in toronto and was checking out some of their watches. I'm not at all surprised that LV is making big moves into the segment given they're owned by LVMH which also owns TAG, hublot among others. Safe to assume that LV watches use movements manufactured inside the group? Their more modestly priced watches (under $10k) actually have a lot to offer the less discerning buyers. Quartz watches were still several thousand dollars though. The use of colour and unusual materials for watches at a similar price-point is bound to move product. I would bet as the years go by a lot of more traditional watch buyers will find an LV piece in their collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.